Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o/t record free fall live feed

Re: o/t record free fall live feed

It was a success! Wow, awesome job Felix! Thanks for the link gv71!
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Here's a 5 minute youtube version

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

and here's a Leggo version

The Stratos JumpScale 1:350Watch the stratos jump - this time in LEGO.

I read that he described his balloon as a "20 story Dry Cleaners Bag."
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-15-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Yeager claimed his piece of the sky also:

Comment

What I find strange about the videos is that they cut short the most important part, that is when he falls from the capsule and begins his free fall to earth. The videos I've seen from the ballooon view only show him for 2 seconds, then cut to another view shot from a distance. I wanted to see him fall from the balloon until he disappeared from view. I feel cheated. Where's the rest of the video?

Here's a another view, from a chest cam pointed at his helmet from the Red Bull Website: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21243271184953

I think there may be more here from the Jump Website: http://www.redbullstratos.com/
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            What I find strange about the videos is that they cut short the most important part, that is when he falls from the capsule and begins his free fall to earth. The videos I've seen from the ballooon view only show him for 2 seconds, then cut to another view shot from a distance. I wanted to see him fall from the balloon until he disappeared from view. I feel cheated. Where's the rest of the video?

Here's a another view, from a chest cam pointed at his helmet from the Red Bull Website: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21243271184953

I think there may be more here from the Jump Website: http://www.redbullstratos.com/
            They are holding back some footage for the upcoming two hour documentary. It will be shown on the BBC and National Geographic channels in a couple of months. After that airs I'm sure more footage will be released online as well.

Comment

For $15, you can jump from 13,000 feet out of a Twin Otter at the Parachute Center in Lodi, CA. You'll get 60 seconds of free fall if you fall flat to earth. If I did the math correctly, $15 divided by 10,000 of free fall (if you open your canopy at 3,000') equals .0015 cents per foot.

I wonder how much his 4 minutes and 22 seconds of free fall cost per foot? Probably a gazillion times more than .0015 cents per foot.

His jump is pretty cool when you think he is the fastest man on the planet in free fall at 833.9mph and he broke the speed of sound (I'm not sure what the significance of the Speed of Sound is).

Here are some details of the jump from their website: http://www.redbullstratos.com/blog/post/33739561019

Altitude Felix Baumgartner stepped off the capsule:

39,045 meters / 128,100 feet

Fastest speed achieved during freefall:

1,342.8 km/h / 833.9 mph (Mach 1.24)

Time elapse before reaching speed of sound during freefall:

34 seconds

Vertical distance of freefall:

36,529 meters / 119,846 feet

Total time spent in freefall:

4 minutes 22 seconds

Parachute pulled:

5,300 ft above the ground

Total time from the moment he jumped to landing:

9 minutes 9 seconds

Distance between launch and landing positions:

70.5km / 43.8miles

Records achieved (awaiting certification):

- First human to break the speed of sound in freefall without mechanical intervention

- Freefall from the highest altitude

- Longest vertical distance in freefall

- Highest manned balloon flight
              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Here's a tandem skydive from 30,000 feet, a two day program for $3,500, 2 minutes in freefall youtube video.

Prepare for the ultimate skydive adventure - a military-style, High Altitude, Low Open parachute jump. At 30,000 feet, the temperature is somewhere around ...

The cost per foot, $3,500 divided by 27,000 feet (assume you open at 3,000 feet) equals .13 cents per foot, take into consideration there are two people jumping and one paying for it.

Here is their 30,000 jump link: http://www.incredible-adventures.com/halo-jumping.html

Here is their website: http://www.incredible-adventures.com/
                Looks like they do Migs over Moscow flights, L39 flights...
                Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

All science and cost aside I think it was an amazing feat. It was done by a group of people with the same mindset as the Air Race crowd. Cost is insane, time is uncountable, in the long run results mean very little besides saying "I/We pushed the limits and succeeded"

Hats off to the entire team and special props to the man with the giant pair that did it...................

Comment

Here is a video showing approx 4 seconds of his free fall filmed from the balloon. About 2 seconds longer than the others.

Now if we could find a video from the balloon that lasts for 6-7 seconds, he will be too small to see and my life will be complete as the film editor.

According to his website, it took 34 seconds to reach the speed of sound. How fast is that at his altitude?

Eventually he reached the maximum speed of 833.9mph. Wonder how many seconds that took and how long he remained at that speed?
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-19-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                      Here is a video showing approx 4 seconds of his free fall filmed from the balloon. About 2 seconds longer than the others.
                      Now if we could find a video from the balloon that lasts for 6-7 seconds, he will be too small to see and my life will be complete as the film editor.

According to his website, it took 34 seconds to reach the speed of sound. How fast is that at his altitude?

Eventually he reached the maximum speed of 833.9mph. Wonder how many seconds that took and how long he remained at that speed?
                      SkyvanDelta, as awesome as Felix's plunge was, it occurs to me that you badly need to just get out and fly something. It doesn't matter what, just go fly something and you will be generating your own numbers even more worth investigating.

Sincerely, Chuck
                      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

The Ultra Lights look awfully nice. How about this AutoGyro? Looks like a lot of fun. Wind in your face, you can feel the temperature air changes on your skin, out front of everything, great visibility etc, until you crash and burn, then the fun is over. Or the engine catches fire, then you'd wish you had a firewall.

The operation in this video was performed on a closed course. The aircraft is a legal ultralight and all participants(including camera operators and motorcy...

This Flying Platform device looks cool also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVh...eature=related
                        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X