The Noise of September Fury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Noise of September Fury

I saw a short discussion about this over at WAP from a few years ago...all radial racers sound fairly loud on take-off and climb-out...Rare Bear and September Fury leading the pack, with either of the Tigercats with them...but September Fury takes the cake for most noise coming out of those exhaust stacks around the course...one of very few aircraft you can actually hear all the way around the course. Anyone know why?

Does it have to do with the fact that it's the only really high-powered radial racer in recent history to have 18 exhaust stubs, one for each cylinder (as opposed to Rare Bear and Critical Mass, which have/had around 10 or 12-ish total)? Maybe the type of exhaust system? Any thoughts?
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: The Noise of September Fury

Might have something to do with the exhaust stubs being necked down for added thrust. Also, with the slow nose case the engine can run at higher rpms...

Comment

They have mic'd the exhaust and patched it into the PA system....
      Didnt work, you can still hear frank....

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        Might have something to do with the exhaust stubs being necked down for added thrust. Also, with the slow nose case the engine can run at higher rpms...
        The necked-down thing makes sense. As far as the slow-nose case is concerned, Rare Bear has the same case, but not the same noise level...you can hear its props a little more, and the exhaust note is deeper and choppier, but September Fury's is just plain louder.
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

A single exhaust stack per cylinder combined with a slow-prop case seems to make sense to me. I don't know how equal the runner lengths are on September Fury, but the more nearly equal in length the tubes are, the sound definitely takes on a more uniform character as opposed to a "brap-a-brap" sound like a B-25 (caused by its odd mix of stub stacks on most of the cylinders and a collector ring on the outboards).

Comment

Can't be the single stack per cylinder radial thing.... Ever heard a Kinner with stacks (chacka, chacka, chacka)?

Comment

Have you ever heard the Bear track on Round Sounds vol. one cd? Got it on my ipod. Pretty neat noise. You can hear it all the way around the course.

Comment

^^^Yeaah... from when it had that massive 3-blade. Sounds awesome with 2000 watts RMS of subwoofage

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                  ^^^Yeaah... from when it had that massive 3-blade. Sounds awesome with 2000 watts RMS of subwoofage
                  I love that CD! I thought my 350W RMS per channel plus sub-woof was loud! But, at 2000W, my God, that'd make your bowels rumble for sure, if not make ya' wet your pants, don'tcha know!!!!

Comment

Wasn't really talking about prop buzz...although the prop buzz by the Orion 3-blader still rules all...just talking about pure engine note from the pipes.
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

I have what I think is pretty good audio of SF on the course...

anyone want to hear it?

$$

Comment

So this is unedited, the camera was having a focus problem... but it sounds great.

its not too big of a file (sorry Wayne)...

$$
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bikenutty View Post
                          So this is unedited, the camera was having a focus problem... but it sounds great.

its not too big of a file (sorry Wayne)...

$$
                          Sorry? Thanks for sharing!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I have way more, and way better...!!

let me edit some down. I just cranked some of my vids out on my surround system with both subs going.... now I am sweating and my girlfriend thinks (maybe knows) I am crazy.... and the neighbors.... hahahaha.....

$$

Comment

Working...
                            X