Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PM 38 Why the difference in prop length

Originally posted by RichH View Post
    I think Whittington's speed in 1988 proves the 64mph gain from last year to this is from more than just the props, being nearly as fast w/the old setup...
    That was at much higher power settings than we ran. So we went faster at lower power settings. Much lower!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
      That was at much higher power settings than we ran. So we went faster at lower power settings. Much lower!
      Sure, but I'll bet my back o' the cocktail napkin fingering that there was a higher power setting this year vs last...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
        Sure, but I'll bet my back o' the cocktail napkin fingering that there was a higher power setting this year vs last...
        Nope! We ran base numbers set by the program last year. We don't guess we test.

Comment

Nope! We ran base numbers set by the program last year. We don't guess we test.
          And THAT, sir, is why I'm looking forward to 2013 and seeing the next evolution in speed from Team PM.

"Do, or do not. There is no try...."
          Mark Johnson
          Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
            Next I noted that the cowling on MA2 lacks the scoop up top, were they running a different version of the Griffon, or did they effectivly move the scoop somewhere else? Either way, its a lot cleaner front end. They did however still have the squared off prop blades.
            Will
            I recall reading somewhere that when they designed and ordered the cowls for MA II that the order was something like a Griffon Spitfire cowl to fit a mustang firewall and a shackleton prop setup which is why it looks so clean. i think the NACA duct for the carb intake could have worked with some development i remember Gary Levitz saying somewhere that they were taking a babystep program for improvements. The NACA radiator scoop did a couple of things, it allowed for better radiator placement in the doghouse and also allowed for more nitrous to be carried. But it would definitely have been interesting to see what would have happened if MA II and PM were together on course.
            Cant wait to see PM next year
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Thank you to the PM team for the new improvements to the airplane. Glad to see that the old chunky prop tip(blades) are history. Mostly I wish you folks safety in the future; along with the continuing speed improvements.

Comment

...so much for all the threads pre-Reno that said it couldn't be done...

'it' being improvement on '88's hash.

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                  I recall reading somewhere that when they designed and ordered the cowls for MA II that the order was something like a Griffon Spitfire cowl to fit a mustang firewall and a shackleton prop setup which is why it looks so clean. i think the NACA duct for the carb intake could have worked with some development i remember Gary Levitz saying somewhere that they were taking a babystep program for improvements. The NACA radiator scoop did a couple of things, it allowed for better radiator placement in the doghouse and also allowed for more nitrous to be carried. But it would definitely have been interesting to see what would have happened if MA II and PM were together on course.
                  Cant wait to see PM next year
                  The cowling setup might be worth another look for PM as well as the radiator ducting. Like I said, I'm no expert, but sometimes its worth a look at what others have already done. Sometimes a second look at a good idea that hasn't quite panned out yet with another set of eyes can produce a winner. Maybe its a dead end, perhaps not.

I also cannot wait to see what next year brings for the team. If nothing else, I'll wager they will bring their A game and put on a heck of a show.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    The cowling setup might be worth another look for PM as well as the radiator ducting. Like I said, I'm no expert, but sometimes its worth a look at what others have already done. Sometimes a second look at a good idea that hasn't quite panned out yet with another set of eyes can produce a winner. Maybe its a dead end, perhaps not.

I also cannot wait to see what next year brings for the team. If nothing else, I'll wager they will bring their A game and put on a heck of a show.

Will
                    I have a pretty good idea that The Force will be strong on #38 next year with lots of detail attention being paid in the 'right' areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                      The 64 MPH is the difference between last year's and this year's qualifying speeds. She ran just over 399 MPH last year, placing 12th. This year, she qualified 64 MPH faster and placed 3rd (4th behind Furias )
                      I don't see how this is an apples to apples comparison with the change to course from last year to now. Not a direct comparison. And lets not forget that the Wittingtons best speed was with an even different course and timing so who's to say a 458 lap with the old course and timing wouldn't translate to 460+ with the new timing?

Comment

And I don't see why everyone continues to de-cry a team that has made great strides...and it's not even my favorite racer.
                        "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

And I don't see why everyone continues to de-cry a team that has made great strides...and it's not even my favorite racer.
                          Which team is it that you see being criticized?

All I see is disagreemnt on how much better the airplane was this year than in previous years.

Comment

Because people are really bad at math I guess. On the old course it would have been faster. The new course the plane never unloads. Loaded airplane means decreased speed.

Comment

Because people are really bad at math I guess. On the old course it would have been faster. The new course the plane never unloads. Loaded airplane means decreased speed.
                              Loaded mix master = enough wake to toss Dread inverted around 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                                Loaded mix master = enough wake to toss Dread inverted around 2.
                                Twice!
                                Red
                                chanting...400+

Comment

Working...
                                X