PM 38 Why the difference in prop length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PM 38 Why the difference in prop length

First off- Thom, this may be the best thread in the history of air race discussion forums, thanks to all your contributions. Hearing the details from such a hands-on owner/pilot is a rare thing. So cool that you didn't sub-contract the prop re-design out, but figured it out and executed the modifications yourself. That really earns my respect (well, additional admiration- just strapping on a racer in and of itself earns my respect).

As for sound, I've never heard your new props except in recordings, and from that it sounds REALLY fantastic. Nothing at all like the veg-o-matic blades on there before- I really can hardly believe no one had done anything about that in nearly 30 years. So just based on recordings, its between you, Dreadnought, and 232 for my favorite sound among current racers. Strega sounds fantastic also, but I kinda like the chest-thumping deeper notes.

Of the racers I have heard in person, a couple stand out. For starters I have to agree with this:

Originally posted by Leo View Post
    Nothing will ever replace, for me at least, the sounds made by White Lightnin' during Lefty's routines. Especially when it bounced off the clouds a little. Sigh.
    The P-38 has an unbelievably sexy sound no matter what has been done to the airplane, but Lefty's turbo-delete exhaust system was particularly good. Not deafeningly loud, more "mellow". I guess its the combination of Allison power, exhaust manifolds with collectors and a single dump instead of individual stacks, and contra-rotating Curtiss props that make the P-38 so unique... but whatever it is, it has a special place in my ears. Again from recordings since I haven't heard it in person, the restoration by Ezell Aviation seems to have largely preserved that sound.

Another one that was a standout is Pardue's Fury. Not hugely different from the other Wright-powered Furies, but different enough to notice, and again its a slight mellowing of the sound. Very cool... and unlike the P-38, LOUD!
    Last edited by 440_Magnum; 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

440_Magnum:
      First off- Thom, this may be the best thread in the history of air race discussion forums, thanks to all your contributions.
      Eeehm...(clearing throat)... I'm not sure how to respond to that... Wow! You're welcome and thank you!

Comment

Blowing the bit of dust off this one, reread the entire thing.
        Simply amazing thread for the few that havent had the privilage.
        PM owner and crew are just amazing folks.....and the model is in progress as I type....big and bold 1/24 scale.
        Anything new going on in the PM stable???
        Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Yes. I could tell you, but I'd have to...

Comment

It's getting a new thang-a-ma-bob, a do-flicky, and du du don!

Comment

I heard that there was a PT-6 conversion in the works.

Just a rumor I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post

Just a rumor I heard.
                Why, is Thom trying to slow PM down some?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post

Just a rumor I heard.
                  That's a J85 in the doghouse... slick. Or was it a Kuznetsov NK-12 with a fake Griffon shell over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialgunnery View Post
                    440_Magnum:

Eeehm...(clearing throat)... I'm not sure how to respond to that... Wow! You're welcome and thank you!

Well.... Just don't over-estimate the quality of all the other threads in the history of air-race forums. Just ask Mike... ;-)

But seriously, thanks for the information. Its been a rare glimpse into that level of engineering and how it can be implemented in a racer, at least for those of us who don't get to put our hands aircraft that often or ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                      That's a J85 in the doghouse... slick. Or was it a Kuznetsov NK-12 with a fake Griffon shell over it.
                      Trying to take the 'loudest airplane ever' record away from the Thunderscreech?

Comment

If you could hide it well enough under a fake Griffon you would be untouchable...
                        Thread is cool, neat to see waht goes into making PM a real contender!
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          If you could hide it well enough under a fake Griffon you would be untouchable...
                          Thread is cool, neat to see waht goes into making PM a real contender!
                          I'm pretty sure we will go silent for a bit once the next stage of mods takes place. I'm sure we will make some small updates.
                          Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 12-05-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X