P-51C Mustang GoPro Cockpit video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-51C Mustang GoPro Cockpit video

Kermit Weeks uploaded some great GoPro "Kermie Cam" video of his one of a kind P-51C Mustang. Pretty cool pre-flight and flying video from pilot perspective. Parts 1 and 2 are pre-flight. Part 3 is in flight.

Part 1... http://youtu.be/4z1Z-WEZZGM

Part 2... http://youtu.be/J1F_UJaaP1A

Part 3... http://youtu.be/eOXxUApaaWo

Re: P-51C Mustang GoPro Cockpit video

Cool video. Hollywood quality movie on a shoestring budget. Amazing cameras.

Once he pushes the throttle forward, potentially scary things start happening real fast if something goes wrong. Same on landing. A lot going on for a 10 minute flight.

Do Mustang owners ever change the earlier models into the later "D" models with the Bubble Canopies, which I think look so much better.

Forward visibility seems horrible. I'd install a forward facing micro camera with a color monitor on the dashboard.

I'm surprised he does not wear a Nomex Flight Suit and Gloves. $200 worth of flight clothing might save you horrible burn injuries and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills and months/years of painful and surgeries/rehabilitation if a fire ever started in flight.

Why does the word "fire" show up as unusual text? It's lower than the rest of the text.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-07-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
      Cool video. Hollywood quality movie on a shoestring budget. Amazing cameras.

Once he pushes the throttle forward, potentially scary things start happening real fast if something goes wrong. Same on landing.

I'm surprised he does not wear a Nomex Flight Suit and Gloves. $200 worth of flight clothing might save you horrible burn injuries and tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills and months/years of painful and surgeries/rehabilitation if a fire ever started in flight.

Do Mustang owners ever change the earlier models into the later "D" models with the Bubble Canopies, which I think look so much better.

Why does the word "fire" show up as unusual text? It's lower than the rest of the text.

Why not just enjoy the very kind, and freakin AWESOME video?

Kudos to Kermits BALLS to share his AMAZING p-51 with the likes of us.

Personally,

When I go.....

Wish it was in a "polished" P-51C

Dreamy.....
      Last edited by AAFO_WSagar; 10-07-2012, 11:26 PM. Reason: inflammatory

Comment

Thanks, shook Kermits hand at Reno and thanked him for sharing his love of aviation. KC

Comment

Kermit is a true blessing to our aviation community. He took a fair amount of time talking with my son while at Reno. He is very approachable. Personally, I like that he wears the jeans and doesn't go for the flight suit. I know it's the old argument of inflight fire versus not. Same could happen in my old Volkswagen and I was fine with jeans. All about risk.
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Kermit is so smoooth that he makes it look easy but we all know better. Thanks for sharing Mr. Weeks. Great video, I would go up with you anyday & in any plane.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

What is the button on top of the panel with the red light? Kermit pushes it several times, but doesn't say what it is.

Thanks.
              Brewski

Comment

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                What is the button on top of the panel with the red light? Kermit pushes it several times, but doesn't say what it is.

Thanks.
                I suspect the gear position indicator / gear lock indicator.

Bob

Comment

I have a man crush on Kermit, he is a genuine self-made man. His passion for aviation and his financial resources have combined in a truly magical way at Fantasy of Flight - we are incredibly blessed to have men like him here in the States.

When I grow up I want to be Kermit Weeks, well Kermit and Chuck Norris.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                  Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Originally posted by flyboycpa View Post
                    Personally, I like that he wears the jeans and doesn't go for the flight suit. I know it's the old argument of inflight fire versus not. Same could happen in my old Volkswagen and I was fine with jeans. All about risk.
                    In your VW, if you get a fire, you can pull over and get out in 5-10 seconds. In an airplane, you have to find a suitable place to land it, then get out or bail out. Finding a suitable place to land, getting it to stop, and getting out is going to take a few minutes. 99.9% of the time, everything goes as planned. It's the 1/10 of 1% that can be extremely dangerous and sometimes you don't get second chances.

For example, watch this video on youtube showing a fire in a Corsair during a race. I bet Kevin was thankful he was wearing Nomex during that race.

Kevin Eldridge Bails out of the Super Corsair. Phoenix 500. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3InHWB1es

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3InHWB1es[/YT]
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

The video clearly shows that Mr. Weeks performs a very thorough cockpit preflight, and continues to monitor the gauges throughout the entire takeoff and flight. A true professional knows the risk and the methods to reduce that risk. Mr. Weeks reduces the risk to an acceptable level to him. Nice flight.

Comment

I do love Kermit's love of warbirds but this is NOT one of a kind. It s identical to the 'Red Tail's P-51C.

Comment

Originally posted by AcroGimp View Post
                          I have a man crush on Kermit, he is a genuine self-made man. His passion for aviation and his financial resources have combined in a truly magical way at Fantasy of Flight - we are incredibly blessed to have men like him here in the States.

When I grow up I want to be Kermit Weeks, well Kermit and Chuck Norris.
                          How is Kermit 'self-made'? He inherited wealth his grandfather made exploring for oil.

Comment

D models are much more numerous than the Bs and Cs.

Not sure what you mean by 'change' though -- are you talking about modifying a B or C into a D?

No, they don't do that. The opposite sometimes happens, though (or used to back before we had the money and expertise to build Mustangs of any design from scratch).

Comment

In your VW, if you get a fire, you can pull over and get out in 5-10 seconds. In an airplane, you have to find a suitable place to land it, then get out or bail out. Finding a suitable place to land, getting it to stop, and getting out is going to take a few minutes. 99.9% of the time, everything goes as planned. It's the 1/10 of 1% that can be extremely dangerous and sometimes you don't get second chances.
                              **sigh** it's a free country, studies show that 1000's of lives would be saved annually if we all wore crash helmets in our cars.. we don't... 1000's die annually of head injuries because of that fact... you want to carp about something, carp about that..

Kermit and others CHOOSE to fly in their jeans, shorts, bare head... whatever... doubtful their choices would ever affect you.

We'd all be safer flying on commercial carriers if we wore pickle suits, carried supplementary breathing apparatus, etc...

I think we all "get it"... further statements by you on this subject are probably going to fall on the deaf ears they have fallen on so far.. In fact, I'm not sure what your argument is about? so.. again, not going to ask... "what's your point?" because I don't really care what your point is, I'm just stating, I'm sort of tired of hearing it...

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X