gear up landing in WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gear up landing in WI

Okay, I didn't know that, thanks for the update. Does anyone know how much speed Miss Merced showed at Reno? Are we talking in the Spirit of Texas/Riff Raff/Fury range (435), or more along the Argo or September Pops speeds (400)?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      I thought it was, except for paint?
      The last pics I saw of it, it was a stock single seater with the exception of having the clipped outer wing panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        The last pics I saw of it, it was a stock single seater with the exception of having the clipped outer wing panels.
        Must have been pretty old pics. There has only been *one* set of clipped outer wing panels ever used. Yes they started on 878M, but went during the 80's to the machine later known as Critical Mass, Then on to 232 in the mid 2000's, then discarded. When Miss Merced was rebuilt later, it only ever had the stock wing panels...
        Last edited by RichH; 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
          Okay, I didn't know that, thanks for the update. Does anyone know how much speed Miss Merced showed at Reno? Are we talking in the Spirit of Texas/Riff Raff/Fury range (435), or more along the Argo or September Pops speeds (400)?
          It was in the upper 300's ~ low 400's.

Comment

The wings were on Critical Mass, then 232. The airplane last flew with short panels in 1971.

It has a jump seat with long single canopy and a 3350 with Aeroproducts prop now. Racer paint similar to the old schemes but not the same.

The airplane in Miss Merced configuration, Centaurus with Bendix carb and water injection, small canopy and clipped wings, finished the 1971 Reno Gold race in third position at 412 mph just behind the #1 and #77 Bearcats that were both 413mph but ahead of Mustang #5 which was 4th at 411 mph. The crew chief was Kerch.
            It won the 1970 Mojave 1000 mile pylon race non-stop and the USA Cup 1000 mile race in San Diego with one pit stop, both in the 330 mph range. The 3300 cube Centaurus has a specific fuel consumption more in line with the 2800 than a 3350 with it's sleeve valve set-up according to Frank Sanders, so it was a good long distance racer.
            In addition it won the 1967 Reno Harolds Cup cross country race as Signal Sea Fury flown by Mike Carroll.
            Lyle Shelton flew it to finish second in the Consolation pylon race at Reno 1966.
            Chris...

Comment

If memory serves me right, Miss Merced was one of four racers that crossed the finish line at Reno in one of the closet finishes ever at Reno. I believe it was back in the late 60's or early 70's Miss Merced, Rotoway Special (name?) Conquest I and can't remember the other airplane, maybe it was Rare Bear, under a different name back then....I'm sure someone on here will remember.
              Brian

Comment

Had to go and look it up in one of my old Kinert Books.

1972 Time Prize $$

1st Darryl Greenamyer 1 413.987 14:12.2 $11,750
                2nd Lyle Shelton 77 413.066 14:14.1 $ 8,000

3rd Sherman Cooper 87 412.583 14:15.1 $ 5,500

4th Gunther Balz 5 412.101 14:16.1 $ 4,000

That was one close race.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                  If memory serves me right, Miss Merced was one of four racers that crossed the finish line at Reno in one of the closet finishes ever at Reno. I believe it was back in the late 60's or early 70's Miss Merced, Rotoway Special (name?) Conquest I and can't remember the other airplane, maybe it was Rare Bear, under a different name back then....I'm sure someone on here will remember.
                  Brian
                  Did you read the post right above, Supercub?
                  Chris...

Comment

Thanks for the details, I see I was a few hundredths off for Roto Finish. Read my post right before yours for the reasons the airplane was so much faster than before, Kerch and ADI, plus over revving the Centaurus which it doesn't like. Hence the engine failure at Mojave.
                    Chris...

Had to go and look it up in one of my old Kinert Books.

1972 Time Prize $$

1st Darryl Greenamyer 1 413.987 14:12.2 $11,750
                    2nd Lyle Shelton 77 413.066 14:14.1 $ 8,000

3rd Sherman Cooper 87 412.583 14:15.1 $ 5,500

4th Gunther Balz 5 412.101 14:16.1 $ 4,000

That was one close race.

Comment

No, I didn't see you're early post.
                      I was at that race, and still remember how close it was. Daryl G was fined for flying low, not pulling up for a mayday, and flying to close to the grandstands. He was also not allowed to race for one year.
                      Was an interesting race.
                      Brian

Comment

Hello all,does anyone have any more info on the Miss,will it be repaired or perhaps offered for sale? just wondering ,Pete

Comment

No, I didn't see you're early post.
                          I was at that race, and still remember how close it was. Daryl G was fined for flying low, not pulling up for a mayday, and flying to close to the grandstands. He was also not allowed to race for one year.
                          Was an interesting race.
                          Brian
                          Just wondering.
                          Yeah, Greenamyer was so low over the stands I thought he'd hit the old flag poles. Which weren't very tall.
                          Good race, weird day.
                          Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                            Just wondering.
                            Yeah, Greenamyer was so low over the stands I thought he'd hit the old flag poles. Which weren't very tall.
                            Good race, weird day.
                            Chris...
                            Kind of cool to say that was my first Reno.

Comment

It is always very cool to watch you old hands go at each other, -but- what strikes me most on this one, is the fact that this is the first time I've seen SuperCub not only admit the depth of experience in deep history that he has which is worth laying down, (witness) observations that is, but more importantly, it was also the first time I've seen him take his gloves off for a minute to show it!

SuperCub, Salute Sir! C.R.
                              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

I'm glad he did, I didn't have the record with me. He did.
                                What's funny is that many of us don't know one another except on this board. Brad knows BellCobra in person, I've known BellCobra since 4th grade, I don't know Brad in person, etc!
                                Chris...

Comment

Working...
                                X