September Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Fate

Tsunami was another that tried the NACA inlet but redesigned to a P-51A type scoop the 2nd year. I would venture getting the inlet close to the prop seems to be the desired placement for ram effect.

Comment

I believe the Riff Raff scoop removed itself. If I recall the cowl tolerances were to close and as the engine moved under load the scoop hit the cowl causing it to come apart and the engine ingested a few items

Comment

Congratulations on a safe race week! Excellent showing.

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
        The A/C seem to exhibit slight but discernible porpoising effect while passing Home.
        I noticed this on the first race - but it wasn't slight. Looked rather significant. Worried me but I never really saw it again - not to the same degree at least.
        Last edited by shadow; 10-06-2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
          I believe the Riff Raff scoop removed itself. If I recall the cowl tolerances were to close and as the engine moved under load the scoop hit the cowl causing it to come apart and the engine ingested a few items
          IIRC, their scoop had guide vanes inside it, and when the scoop hit the cowl the vanes started breaking up and going through the engine.

I'm pretty sure 232 guys were disappointed with the pressure rise of the Skyraider inlet location, and might have even tracked it to AOA. They were pretty well instrumented, even back then (M. Luvara? were you involved that early?)

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
            IIRC, their scoop had guide vanes inside it, and when the scoop hit the cowl the vanes started breaking up and going through the engine.
            I can remember talking with Mike Keenum one year at the ICAS convention about his plan to do that. I pointed out to him that on the Super Corsairs at Cleveland they had tried racing with the scoop in the original position and found they needed the extended scoop.

Mike's comment, in account that Riff Raff had a '3350 was "well, it worked just fine on the Skyraider".

I decided to leave it at that since it wasn't my Sea Fury or money.

Comment

I'm pretty sure 232 guys were disappointed with the pressure rise of the Skyraider inlet location, and might have even tracked it to AOA. They were pretty well instrumented, even back then (M. Luvara? were you involved that early?)
              I didn't get involved with 232 until 2005, so I was not around with the skyraider duct. The current inlet duct on 232 gets seriously good ram rise. The efficiency of it comes down to the geometry plus how the air is directed. Every time you have to turn it, that's a problem. Look at Rare Bear's inlets from the wing to the carburetor. The poor air has go go in several directions. Not ideal.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                I didn't get involved with 232 until 2005, so I was not around with the skyraider duct. The current inlet duct on 232 gets seriously good ram rise. The efficiency of it comes down to the geometry plus how the air is directed. Every time you have to turn it, that's a problem. Look at Rare Bear's inlets from the wing to the carburetor. The poor air has go go in several directions. Not ideal.

Michael
                I know that the Centaurus on Sea Furies uses an updraft carb, so the wing root inlets make sense until you convert to a 3350 with a downdraft carb.

Did the R2800 originally used in Bearcats have an updraft carb like a Centaurus? I always ASSumed (dangerous, I know) that it was a downdraft like the 2800 installation in, say, an Invader. But if so, why the heck did Grumman use wing root inlets in the first place

Comment

I know that the Centaurus on Sea Furies uses an updraft carb, so the wing root inlets make sense until you convert to a 3350 with a downdraft carb.

Did the R2800 originally used in Bearcats have an updraft carb like a Centaurus? I always ASSumed (dangerous, I know) that it was a downdraft like the 2800 installation in, say, an Invader. But if so, why the heck did Grumman use wing root inlets in the first place
                  IIRC it was a -34 with an Aux blower and updraft carb, at least on the -1.
                  Inlets also fed oil cooler.
                  The CB 2800's installed today use a down draft carb.

Comment

Hey guys

I know we are all thinking it but I wanted to be sure it was said, September Fate is a terribly important project to the class and to the sport. The economy is down and people are having trouble funding going to the races let alone racing and Brian has invested in those things and then designing and building a new airplane for the sport (a monumental undertaking in itself). This is the kind of stuff that is core to the sport and is less and less common. The arrival of Brian's new aircraft was the best thing that happened on the airport this year (short of the races returning after the accident).

So rather than having this turn into a discussion about which unlimited shared a design trait or trying to convince Brian to divulge his five year strategy, I wanted to make sure I took the time to say that this spirit is terribly important to the core of the sport let alone the class. New exciting aircraft are the lifeblood of air racing all the way back in its history. The last time it happened at Reno is in 2005 with the debut of the AR-6 and before that the NXT in 2004. The people who make these projects happen are the backbone of the sport, and I am proud they tend to like Brian come from the formula class.

Good work Brian, and thank you for the hard work.

-Race 68

Comment

Thanks Elliot.....ditto that.

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
                        Hey guys

I know we are all thinking it but I wanted to be sure it was said, September Fate is a terribly important project to the class and to the sport. The economy is down and people are having trouble funding going to the races let alone racing and Brian has invested in those things and then designing and building a new airplane for the sport (a monumental undertaking in itself). This is the kind of stuff that is core to the sport and is less and less common. The arrival of Brian's new aircraft was the best thing that happened on the airport this year (short of the races returning after the accident).

So rather than having this turn into a discussion about which unlimited shared a design trait or trying to convince Brian to divulge his five year strategy, I wanted to make sure I took the time to say that this spirit is terribly important to the core of the sport let alone the class. New exciting aircraft are the lifeblood of air racing all the way back in its history. The last time it happened at Reno is in 2005 with the debut of the AR-6 and before that the NXT in 2004. The people who make these projects happen are the backbone of the sport, and I am proud they tend to like Brian come from the formula class.

-Race 68
                        Thank you Elliot! We'll talk more soon!
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
                          Hey guys

-Race 68
                          Wow Laminar, great post!

The arrival of and performance of September Fate was the highlight of Reno 2012 as far as I am concerned. A fresh, innovative design.

Brian and Sherawn Reberry and their talented crew deserve a huge amount of credit for creating and campaining September Fate. The wallpaper on my laptop is a big beautiful photo of her.

It makes me smile everytime I fire it up...

George

Comment

What a beautiful plane. As noted by others, the Loving's Love design from the 50's had a similar basic profile and was a pretty unique bird for it's day. Neal Loving was a good friend. I owned a copy of the Love for over 10 years, flying it all over the U.S. to shows, etc. It has a wood and fabric fuselage and glass cowling, wheel pants, etc. I had an 0-200 in it so it wasn't exactly a barn burner, but sure drew crowds. It was even on the cover of Sport Aviation in the April, 1998 issue. It only held 15 gallons of gas so I became very proficient in landings. I had several hundred hours in it before donating it to the Sun & Fun museum at Lakeland, FL. Like your picture in the current Sport Aviation, in front of a Corsair, I have a similar picture of mine also in front of a Corsair. I had the only one left flying but construction has just started for one or two more in Spokane, WA.

Comment

Welcome to the hangar! Someone asked that more attention be paid to the IF1's.... Thank you for helping in this task!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X