Monster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster...

On the way to Reno I was driving through the Salmon River Canyon in central Idaho. I came cruising around a curve and suddenly saw a monster! It was huge! And noisy, with great flapping wings!

It did not seem threatening, so I settled in to watch its behavior. It would fly around for a while, and then come back to the river for a long drink, and then fly off again. When drinking, its huge wings would churn the river into a froth, with spray everywhere. There was definite smell of smoke in the air around the monster, so I think it also breathed fire!

Once I had a feel for the thing's pattern of behavior, I decided to try to get a picture. After a cautious, stealthy approach (I grew up in the woods, so I know how to do that) I finally got into position for this photograph. I'm glad I got this, as noone would ever believe what I saw without evidence!

It was quite an adventure, I'll tell you!

Neal

Re: Monster...

Mmmmmm....an Erickson Air Crane species of monster.

Sort of like watching an awkward dinosaur. Good stuff!

Comment

It appears to be mating with something in the water.....apparently the species is amphibious and able to take flight.....fascinating!

Kevin

Comment

I was thinking it was thirsty from whatever it ate someplace else.

Comment

If this ugly duckling were a character in one of Kermit Weeks' childrens books, would the Martin Mars be its mother?

Comment

One flew over my house yesterday while fighting a fire across the canyon...

Curt

Comment

Unfortunately, these have been a part of daily life up here in Idaho this year. Still cool to watch though...
              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

That sure gives a feel of just how utilitarian the Sikrosky Skycrane really is. The whole helicopter mechanism- engines, gearbox, rotor, rear rotor driveshaft... seems to be an afterthought bolted on top.

Comment

Ugly but functional -- a working machine...

Comment

Great photos Neal. I wouldn't have thought there was anything left to burn along the Salmon. Drove through there a few years ago during a fire. Smoke was so thick it felt like driving through a ground fog. Just spent a week in the Boise area and never saw blue sky, not once. All the best to the firefighters up there.
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

There is no doubt that these folks earn every dollar they get paid...

Comment

Working...
                      X