Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steve Hinton Jr.

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
    Well, thanks, but in addition to 15 years flying fighters and trainers for the USAF, I am also a civilian pilot and instructor, ATP-SE/ME/CFII/MEI, so I'm well enough acquainted with turning tendencies.

Here's a fun fact for ya: jet engines have a fair bit of rotating mass themselves, and they're going at a much higher RPM, so although there is no torque, P-factor, or spiraling slipstream, there's plenty of right-hand-rule going on when they turn, too.

Automated flight controls don't have anything to do with it, either. The scenario I was describing applies just as much to the F-15 with a flight control computer as it does in the T-38 which is just as manual as any WWII fighter (outside of the hydraulics).

Anyway, that wasn't really my question, it isn't about the purpose of a yaw string conceptually.

I was actually wondering about the top modified unlimiteds, with vertical stabs that have altered angles of incidence, engine installations with altered thrust planes and thrust lines, etc. How do they handle the corners, how much rudder do they really need. Are they like a NASCAR racer where their natural state of being is going around the corners and they have to be 'forced' to drive straight.

Well, given how many unlimiteds don't have one, and historically haven't had one, (and of course there are others, like Voodoo, that do), that's not necessarily a self-evident deduction.

So, thus the question.
    The Yaw string is the most important tool we have at keeping the planes straight on the course. Having flown more unlimited race plane than most I can speak from experience. If you left your feet on the floor on the course several of the aircraft I have flown would yaw to destruction due to their instability on yaw. Unlike jets where your feet are on the floor. Unlimited propeller driven aircraft require constant yaw and pitch control. You could ask Jimmy that if he was around. Or ask Will Whiteside how difficult it was flying Voodoo with out rudder trim. The planes with no trim are afraid of tab flutter thus the removal of trim tab. Not because they don't need it. The bottom line is yaw and pitch are serious items in racing a propeller driven aircraft. If you don't keep it straight you also wont go very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
      The Yaw string is the most important tool we have at keeping the planes straight on the course. Having flown more unlimited race plane than most I can speak from experience. If you left your feet on the floor on the course several of the aircraft I have flown would yaw to destruction due to their instability on yaw. Unlike jets where your feet are on the floor. Unlimited propeller driven aircraft require constant yaw and pitch control. You could ask Jimmy that if he was around. Or ask Will Whiteside how difficult it was flying Voodoo with out rudder trim. The planes with no trim are afraid of tab flutter thus the removal of trim tab. Not because they don't need it. The bottom line is yaw and pitch are serious items in racing a propeller driven aircraft. If you don't keep it straight you also wont go very fast.
      Fantastic, thanks. Exactly what I was curious about.

Is it just owner preference, then, that some don't have that string?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
        Matt, I noticed that Furias had the larger vertical installed this year. How much difference did that make vs. the smaller tail it had last year?

Comment

^^^ I don't think they did anything with the tail other than paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
            ^^^ I don't think they did anything with the tail other than paint it.
            The more I look at it, I think you're right. I guess the new colors just made it look different in person.

Comment

GP, man, GP.
              Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                Matt, I noticed that Furias had the larger vertical installed this year. How much difference did that make vs. the smaller tail it had last year?
                YES the tail was enlarged to Dreadnought dementions.Loyd had enlarged tail from stock but Sanders went a bit taller yet again and changed all the internal structure ad well. There was not much left of the old Furias when they got done wih her.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
                  Fantastic, thanks. Exactly what I was curious about.

Is it just owner preference, then, that some don't have that string?
                  Skip Holms was the first that I know of that had a yaw string installed on Jennie. Everyone laughed at him. That changed when he broke qualification record and then the strings started appearing. Funny how things get started.

Comment

Working...
                  X