Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour on top of the 747?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour on top of the 747?

It flew over my sister in law's house in Sac low enough that she could read the numbers on the shuttle and 747.

Comment

Victor,

Excellent photos !

Your pictures brought Wild Smiles to this ex-tragickingdom member.

Guess'n you stood just east of Tomorrowland Terrace and just south of the Tomorowland Monorail Station.

Bob

Comment

Came by Tucson on the way to CA.
        Attached Files
        Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post
          Victor,

Excellent photos !

Guess'n you stood just east of Tomorrowland Terrace and just south of the Tomorowland Monorail Station.

Bob
          Here's from my FB post

"Thank you to all!!! This was a crazy deal, did not have a lot of time to get this done. Left work at 11am got to DLand and didn't think I would get in. Got lucky on parking, ran to the Monorail terminal in downtown, lucky again only six people waiting in line. Got off and ran to Main St. didn't look good had about 10 min to think... Saw it in the distance and knew I had to move. Ran to the Matterhorn. Could hear it coming before I ever saw it and got this shot. Ran back to the Monorail, back to my Jeep, and back to work just after 2pm..."
          http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
          http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Victor,

Your efforts make these photos all the more special !!! Your 'choice' of backdrops could not have been better.

Last time, as a guest in the park, was over a quarter century ago. From what others have told me, getting around is much more time consuming.

Thank you for saving these moments in history.

Bob

Comment

Here is the low pass they did in Mojave.

I apologize for the camera phone.

Elliot
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
                Here is the low pass they did in Mojave.

I apologize for the camera phone.

Elliot
                Passing the torch..... Would have been cool to have White Night and SS1 in a "heritage flight" of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                  Passing the torch..... Would have been cool to have White Night and SS1 in a "heritage flight" of sorts.

Yes it would have!

Comment

Some irony in this photo. Shuttle headed to its final destination strapped to the back of the 747 which (as I understand) will be headed to its final destination next door to Mojave.

Bob

Comment

I haven't had time yet to edit the video and replace the bad sound, but here is the first of two passes that Endeavour and Shuttle Carrier made at MHV last Friday. Click on the image to play the video - again my apologies for the bad sound.

This was very bittersweet for me, as I saw Columbia, the first fully functional Shuttle, on her first ever flight segment, on top of the Shuttle Carrier, in Oklahoma City in 1980, on her way to KSC to be mated for the first time with the SRB's and External Tank for launch on STS-1 which occurred in April of 1981. I was 10 years old.

Last Friday, I saw the last ever flight segment, for the Shuttle program, as Endeavour made her way from Edwards to LAX, to become a museum piece, with more than 75% of her useful life remaining.

First to last - very emotional for many folks at MHV, myself included.

Last edited by AcroGimp; 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM.
                      sigpic
                      1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                      Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

It looks like we will be running cars on KSC runway again around october 17th so I will try to get pics of the main and nose gear touch down points since those points are where the shuttle last flew.

I find the stopping points pictured on the net but not touch down.

Comment

Working...
                        X