Air Race Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Race Pins

Does anyone know when the first pins came out? I also have one with no date, any idea what year that was? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Boliver

Re: Air Race Pins

Pylon pins started in 1977 (no date).

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Boliver View Post
      Does anyone know when the first pins came out? I also have one with no date, any idea what year that was? Thanks in advance for your help.
      Boliver
      The first pin came out in 1978 and in 1995 RARA forgot to order pins until the last minute and the supplier couldn't put a number on in time for the races that year so they sold a pin with no date.

Comment

The first pylon pin came out in 1977 and did not have a year on it.

It featured a yellow P-51

Comment

I thought I read several posts on this forum a while back about 2012 pylon pins.
          I remember that some folks said that there no 2012 pylon pins.
          I just stumbled across this listing on ebay for 2012 pins!

Comment

Their were no 2012 pins for NAG Volunteers this year.
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Pins were available this year but no 2012 patch.

Originally posted by WARPT View Post
              I thought I read several posts on this forum a while back about 2012 pylon pins.
              I remember that some folks said that there no 2012 pylon pins.
              I just stumbled across this listing on ebay for 2012 pins!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RENO-AIR...item53eee99213

Comment

When then, did RARA produce their first official NCAR event patch?

DBD

Comment

I guess I got that mixed up with "Buttons & Bows" vrs "Patches & Pins" It must be "Miller Time" Sorry Betty.(NAG)
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                    The first pin came out in 1978 and in 1995 RARA forgot to order pins until the last minute and the supplier couldn't put a number on in time for the races that year so they sold a pin with no date.
                    Prior to 1994, the pins had been produced through the Jaycee's (not sure if it was a local chapter). There was a big bru-ha-ha after the '93 Races between RARA and the Jaycee's resulting in RARA finding a new vendor. The '94 pin (blue P-38) was produced, but with a 75% failure rate of the airplane falling off the pin. I ended up buying 3 of them and eventually used my own epoxy to secure the little "devil-tail". Needless to say, RARA was again looking for a new vendor and finally secured one, but not in enough time for them to reproduce the typical "pylon" design. Hence, they came up with a one-of for '95 (which does have the year on it...fortunately!). Thereafter, there hasn't been an interuption according to my hat...lol. However, interestingly enough, the 1996 Pylon pin's cloisonne was gold (color) rather than silver (color) and have remained silver ever since. School's out...
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	RARA 1995.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	225446

Comment

I seem to recall asking in '95 if they had the pylon pins and was told they were late. I remember writing my name and address on a sheet that they said would be used to contact people when the pins were available. I was never contacted. I do have one from '95. I don't remember if I got it in '96, or if I bought it somewhere else. I also have 2 versions of the '96. A gold trimmed one without the shield, and a silver trimmed one with the sheild.
                      Attached Files

Comment

HOLY CRAP! a true '95 PIN. I was on the same list with no luck in receiving it. It's the only one I'm missing. If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyD View Post
                          When then, did RARA produce their first official NCAR event patch?

DBD
                          I don't know about the first but I believe this one is from '83 (my 1st year). Maybe someone else will know.
                          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Pretty sure that's 83. I've got 78-2011 except 91 and 01. Missing the same pins.
                            Wasn't it 92-93 when they sold pins that had the right airplane color but wrong year? I don't have my hat with me at work to check.
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Something I've been wondering... what does the shield denote? The only shield pin I have happens to be the only one I didn't actually buy at the races and got it after the fact. The shield pins appear to have slightly inferior quality to the ones without...

Comment

Working...
                              X