Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strega, is it official???

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
    Everything that I have heard in the last few months is that in spite of winning and in spite of the appearance of a well-oiled machine, there is a lack of cohesiveness on the team.

Tiger has owned that plane for 29 years. The only one with a longer continuous racing heritage is Lyle with the Bear. If it's time to retire, let the man retire with some dignity.

The biggest mistake that some of these owners make is tying their identity with the airplane. Look at Howie Keefe and Miss America. Lyle was never the same once he sold the Bear. I hope Tiger doesn't sell Strega. I hope he takes Strega and parks it in the hangar at Bakersfield for the rest of his life, pulling it out on Saturdays to polish it and to fly it around the patch on Sunday. He owes us race fans nothing...and we owe him everything, including cutting him some slack for having the balls to say 'I'm done'.

If it was Strega's last year...I raise a brew and say "Thank you, Tiger...enjoy your retirement".
    If I get this wrong then I apologize since I don't normally respond to posts. Let me make this clear, there is not a lack of cohesiveness. We are the closest family you will ever meet, we all love each other and will do what is needed for one another. It is just time, that's all.
    Last edited by Race7; 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
      Like Howard Pardue, Ill believe Strega is done when I get to the ramp and they aren't there.
      +1 to this. I can just hear Tiger come September 2013: "ah hell, let's go kick their as@*es one more time."
      Mark Johnson
      Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Team Strega, if it is indeed the last year for the witch on course at Reno, then thank you to all who have been involved in bringing her each year, its been an honor to watch all your hard work on the course each september.
        If Strega no longer races, then i wish all the crew, and strega a happy retirement
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

I was there when she debuted in 1983. She's had her moments of being a tempermental gal, but in the long run a true thoroughbred. Hope they leave her "as is" and don't do a conversion back to a stock airframe.

Steveo mentioned sailboats? He mentioned open-wheel in the Despain interview. I'd think he'd be the perfect candidate as the next American World Champion (right up there with Phil Hill and Mario Andretti). The kid has STYLE.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Everything that I have heard in the last few months is that in spite of winning and in spite of the appearance of a well-oiled machine, there is a lack of cohesiveness on the team.

Tiger has owned that plane for 29 years. The only one with a longer continuous racing heritage is Lyle with the Bear. If it's time to retire, let the man retire with some dignity.

The biggest mistake that some of these owners make is tying their identity with the airplane. Look at Howie Keefe and Miss America. Lyle was never the same once he sold the Bear. I hope Tiger doesn't sell Strega. I hope he takes Strega and parks it in the hangar at Bakersfield for the rest of his life, pulling it out on Saturdays to polish it and to fly it around the patch on Sunday. He owes us race fans nothing...and we owe him everything, including cutting him some slack for having the balls to say 'I'm done'.

If it was Strega's last year...I raise a brew and say "Thank you, Tiger...enjoy your retirement".
            Well Said and I agree 100%

Comment

perfectly said big jim..as to strega her self i'm in 2 mind's she is an ex raaf airframe and i'd love to see a stock raaf p51-d flying(we only have aussie built ex raaf mustangs down here)but she is at least as historic as conquest one in her current state(and according to tiger a pretty nice sport plane as well)so a long retirement as is with a view to going to a museum preserved as is after tiger has enjoyed her beauty is perfect.

tiger thanks for the strega years(and may you continue to enjoy A68-679 for many years to come)
              Paul

Comment

If you watch the airshowlivetv update Saturday or Sunday they ask Tiger what is next. He made a quick quip about a speed record attempt! Could this be next?

Comment

In one of the interviews I watched with Steven Hinton JR., he mentioned that Strega will stay and always remain a racer. It will not be converted back to stock or a two seater. But everything is about money, I hope he has enough to hold on to her. Strega is in it's prime!!!!

P.s. I hope Steven Hinton JR. keeps racing. I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Were gonna miss yelling "GO STREGA!"
                  My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

I too have watched Strega race almost every year since 1983. I happened to be a flight instructor in BFL when they built her and watch her slowly grow from a heap of scrap metal into the beautiful champion she is today. It was Strega that brought me to the Reno Air Races for the first time in 1983. At times I have gone to great lengths to get there on Sunday to watch her go around the pylons with her number 7 facing squarely at us as she was nearly at a knife edge crossing the start finish line. It wasn't only the sights, but oh that sound. I did not know that this was her last race till Sunday after the race. I am personally very sad that I may not ever see Strega fly again.

I am extremely thankful for Tiger and his dedication to bring me such joy over the years. I saw her first lap in the Gold, and her last. If I would have known this was the last, I would have teared up during the race. I really do love this airplane.

I have been very fortunate in the 34 years I have been a pilot. Feeling like I was a part of Strega has certainly been a highlight and wonderful experience.

I know it is not very rational, but I wonder what it would take to keep her showing up, if anything. It is now my new dream, and hope, that next year will be just as special.

Thank you Tiger Destefani. I met you a couple times in my life and you were always polite and nice to a young aspiring airline pilot and fan. Class act.

Comment

Just watched the interview with Tiger, and he said "PROBABLY won't be back, unless they find a big sponsor. Sounds like options are open and it could return. I guess will find out next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X