Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
    I'd bet Lyle had a healthy fear of his airplane every time he climbed in. Was he truly fearless? He sure looked it didn't he! A pilot who climbs into an airplane without the knowledge that this flight could kill him, even a 152, is either an idiot or not well trained. (See: JFK junior.) Lyle was one of the rare aviators and Hinton's kid seems to be as well. You think Steve senior trained junior well in the knowledge that these airplanes can kill you in an instant so pay attention and be ready for that moment when it all goes to hell? You think that doesn't involve a healthy fear of the next 20 minutes at 100 feet and 490 mph? Lyle had RB blow up in his face many times and in 1992 he actually stayed on the course for a few seconds as the engine came apart. Cool customer. Aimed for 14, knew he couldn't make it, landed on closed 18 and was calm as could be when he came back to the pits. That's what Rare Bear needs again. I would love to see the kid step over to the Rare Bear cockpit--maybe that's the boost they need to work out the bugs and get back on top.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots.
    Well said, and I thank you for it. To quote Bob Crippen (1st Shuttle co-pilot), in answer to the question "Are you scared?"; He said "No, but if you don't have some anxiety, you don't really understand the problem." A little cowardice is often a good thing in a pilot. Jimmy showed us all just how close to the edge these folks operate at. I don't know who said it here first, but "Go fast until you see God, and turn left." is a pretty good mission statement. Having been over 300 in a new experimental, I suggest that judgment is more important than 'courage'. Old/Bold? Well little Bobby Hoover comes to mind. He took on the FAA!

Snidely

(Nell, railroad tracks, and a little light bondage, apply within)

Comment

Re: Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

Originally posted by Snidely View Post
      Well said, and I thank you for it. To quote Bob Crippen (1st Shuttle co-pilot), in answer to the question "Are you scared?"; He said "No, but if you don't have some anxiety, you don't really understand the problem." A little cowardice is often a good thing in a pilot. Jimmy showed us all just how close to the edge these folks operate at. I don't know who said it here first, but "Go fast until you see God, and turn left." is a pretty good mission statement. Having been over 300 in a new experimental, I suggest that judgment is more important than 'courage'. Old/Bold? Well little Bobby Hoover comes to mind. He took on the FAA!

Snidely

(Nell, railroad tracks, and a little light bondage, apply within)
      There is a great quote out of the movie Threshold: The Blue Angels Experience. They are interviewing solo pilot Skip Umstead (who was later killed in 1973 in the last flight of the Blues in the F-4 Phantom) and he says "You don't want to scare yourself every show....just maybe one in five." But it shows that there is a healthy respect for the airplane, it's own capabilities, and more important you own limitations as a pilot.

Comment

Working...
      X