Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Precious Metal Gear Door ?

Default Re: Precious Metal Gear Door ?

Hi Sandy! I was around the pit a couple of times-- long enough to drink some of Tom's beer, see all of Ted's latest photos of his kids and share many memories of Race crews of the past. It was early in the week though -- I get real busy when Race days start happening, and don't get up into the pits much...

Ted told me the same thing about the wedding pictures. Unfortunately any such photos do not exist -- either in my memories nor in the Wingman archives. I'm afraid that Ted is mistaken on this question.

Neal

[QUOTE=Unlimited Fan;106285]
    Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    Some years ago he was camping out on the back of the course before the Races. He wandered off into the sagebrush to take a ...um... ...to commune with nature for a moment. He returned with a 4 foot piece of fiberglass, painted grey, with faded lettering spelling something like "Spiratron" or "Vibratron" or some such. This had fallen off #5 many years before, and many had looked very hard for it.
    That was the large hunk of Bondo that came off of #5 when it was Gunther Balz' "Roto Finish" airplane. 1972 I think.

It was a piece of fiberglass, bondo, silver paint & etc. probably a foot or so wide and around 4ft long. Dwight had it around the shop for ahwile after he and Bucky did some swapping of stuff.

Did the Precious Metal crew ever find their landing gear door?

Nope whole new door at the dismay of the owners pocketbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Nope whole new door at the dismay of the owners pocketbook.
    Was the replacement door an "New" door as in Old New Stock NOS, or was it a old used door from 50 years ago or was it a door made in the last few years?

Curious how much a new door cost and what the finders fee would be for the lost door? It's out there somewhere.

Was it narrowed down to a small area where it fell off or is it "somewhere around the course" lost?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 11-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.

As far as the crew and friends of PM know, the door has not been located. Chances are someone picked it up and it's hanging in someones garage or it's been recycled.

The finder's fee is $500. No questions asked.

The doors are virtually unobtainium. The one we bought was a rebuilt unit done by the MacDonald's brothers. If you have a few months and about $22K, Pioneer or Teeters can and will build one for you. It's very hard to put a price on a door. It's whatever anyone is willing to pay. We were offered a new set in a box for $100K, for example.

If we find the old door and the internal parts are OK, we should be able to build up a spare for about $10K.

Wow.
    Having walked around out in Lemmon Valley last Sunday looking for something else, there are a lot of places to hide in plain sight. There is also a LOT of junk out in the desert, makes us look like pigs.
    I tend to agree that someone has found it though and it is garage decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerialgunnery View Post
    We were offered a new set in a box for $100K, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Apteryx View Post
    Funny that was the look Thom and I had too!