Precious Metal Gear Door ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Precious Metal Gear Door ?

I wonder if someone has picked it up and has it sitting in a shed or garage. If they are not a fan, or visiting these sites, they may just figure it is junk. Have you tried a newspaper or TV news to appeal for it? Or is that taboo, "parts fall from racer, public in danger" and all that?
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
      I wonder if someone has picked it up and has it sitting in a shed or garage. If they are not a fan, or visiting these sites, they may just figure it is junk. Have you tried a newspaper or TV news to appeal for it? Or is that taboo, "parts fall from racer, public in danger" and all that?
      Kinda, ya. Not really something you want to advertise.

I agree that somebody already has it. We covered a hell of a lot ground the last couple days and it just ain't there. I would be out there today as well if it weren't for other obligations.

Has anybody checked Ebay?
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

It is sad. I was told just how much a new door is , it's astonishing how much.

Comment

.......... "parts fall from racer, public in danger" and all that?....
          Leo, have you lost yer brain?

My own thought is that even though it was floppin' around like a seed pod off a tree compared to the velocity of the pak it came out of, it still musta' hit hard and fast.
          It might have hit edge in and stuck deep enough that you would only tend to be able to see it from the side. If that turns out to be the case, I would love to see the picture before you guys un-stick it.

I have found that when I am missing airplane parts in the wild dirt yonder, they usually turn up long after I needlessly begin grinding my teeth thinking about thieves.

I wish like heck that I was in the neighborhood to keep looking with you guys. Good luck.
          Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Brain? What brain?
            The TV news broadcasts were positive this year but the the RGJ just seemed to be full of negative reports and fear mongering. I can imagine what they would say.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Brain? What brain?
              The TV news broadcasts were positive this year but the the RGJ just seemed to be full of negative reports and fear mongering. I can imagine what they would say.
              Doesn't mean we hafta' fuel their fire.

Especially not here.

I know I am probably over thinking it, but sometimes these things bite you in the ass when not handled with discretion. (Please don't ask me how I know).
              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

No Media!

Michael Town
                Crew Race 38

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                  It is sad. I was told just how much a new door is , it's astonishing how much.
                  How much is a new or used gear door? Is it a custom made door or a stock Mustang door? Is somebody making replacement parts or are replacement parts all New Old Stock?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialgunnery View Post
                    The experimental helicopters volunteered as they both needed flight time on their machines anyway. The Ultralight did cost some money, but we needed a birds eye view. The crew and other volunteers have put in a tremendous effort, but we simply can't find it.

We have a new door installed and plan to depart Stead today and head for DVT. Should make KISM by Sunday.

Thanks to all of those helping in the effort. Being a low budget race team, this was a really hard hit. We're gonna try to dig our way out of this pit, but it's gonna take a while...
                    Was it a "hard hit" because of the cost of racing at Reno or "hard hit" because of the loss of the gear door?

Can you post a picture of what it would people should look for? Color, dimensions...

Comment

Heres a picture.

The right one (in flying direction) is the one. Looking at the left one (in flying direction) you get a idea of what it looks like.

I'm just happy the news media hasn't picked up on this. They could blow this out of perspective.

This thread should go to sleep :-)

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-21-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

You should just turn Bucky loose on the problem! He finds all kinds of stuff out there...

Some years ago he was camping out on the back of the course before the Races. He wandered off into the sagebrush to take a ...um... ...to commune with nature for a moment. He returned with a 4 foot piece of fiberglass, painted grey, with faded lettering spelling something like "Spiratron" or "Vibratron" or some such. This had fallen off #5 many years before, and many had looked very hard for it.

Dwight Thorn was amazed and delighted...

It is VERY hard to find things in the desert. A guy passed away down in Death Valley last winter. The Park searched with people, airplanes, dogs, multiple helicopters with various fancy sensors for days -- a huge operation. The body was finally found by a Ranger long after the search had been called off. The man had expired barely a mile from the campground where he was last seen.

Neal

Comment

[QUOTE=wingman;106284]You should just turn Bucky loose on the problem! He finds all kinds of stuff out there...

Some years ago he was camping out on the back of the course before the Races. He wandered off into the sagebrush to take a ...um... ...to commune with nature for a moment. He returned with a 4 foot piece of fiberglass, painted grey, with faded lettering spelling something like "Spiratron" or "Vibratron" or some such. This had fallen off #5 many years before, and many had looked very hard for it.

Dwight Thorn was amazed and delighted...

The #5 that you are referring to would be The Red Baron ?

Comment

Same airframe, same Race number, different name, different era...

Comment

So is there a search party scheduled for the weekend?

On a side note, Neal, why didn't you ever come by Air Biscuits pit so I could say hi? And I'm told you took the pictures at my wedding tho I've never seen them. Or at least that's the story Teddy told me...
                              sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                              http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                                How much is a new or used gear door? Is it a custom made door or a stock Mustang door? Is somebody making replacement parts or are replacement parts all New Old Stock?
                                Check your Pm thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X