PM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PM

Heres the landing sequence coming up behind Sawbones.

I was getting a little worried there until Thom got the go around.

Comment

Those missing doors will make for some interesting/collectable finds in the future.

20 years from now some hiker/offroader will come upon one.

Hopefully they didn't land close to a house/barn chicken coop, the news media will be all over it :-(

In the end the 49th Reno Air Races were perfect.

See you all at the 50th.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
        Those missing doors will make for some interesting/collectable finds in the future.

20 years from now some hiker/offroader will come upon one.

Hopefully they didn't land close to a house/barn chicken coop, the news media will be all over it :-(

In the end the 49th Reno Air Races were perfect.

See you all at the 50th.

They might need to find it in order to get home.

Comment

Unless it let go somewhere over Peavine, someone is very likely to find it. When we lost the rudder trim tab on Dago in 2008, the missing tab was back in our pit not 20 minutes after the end of the race. I suspect it will turn up sooner than later.

SA

Comment

I believe Stu Dawson saw the door depart while coming down the chute. It is much easier to find stuff that falls off on the course. With so many photogs and others watching, it can take just a few minutes to find it. Of course, could be lost forever too.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

If Stew saw it depart coming down the shoot, he didnt say anything about it then. I had my scanner glued to my ear from the time they started the engines to the time they all were on the ground.

First word from Stew was after passing home pylon on lap 2. and he said something like, Thom I can see your wheels. That was the first anything was said about it.

Comment

The call to Thom was from Dennis just after rounding pylon 1 on lap 2 or 3 I believe.
                Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee View Post
                  If Stew saw it depart coming down the shoot, he didnt say anything about it then. I had my scanner glued to my ear from the time they started the engines to the time they all were on the ground.

First word from Stew was after passing home pylon on lap 2. and he said something like, Thom I can see your wheels. That was the first anything was said about it.
                  I'm not certain he did see it. I was told that after that race, he said that he saw it come off down the chute but I did not hear him say it. If he did see it I doubt he would have known what it was or where it came from at the time. It would just be something shinny out of the corner of the eye for .000001 seconds.

Note the cowl damage.

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

There is a pic on WAP that shows it coming off down the chute

Comment

the big dent forward of the wheel wells I'm guessing is pressure differential.

I didnt see it there once they were back on the ground. But then again I was on the other side of the K Bars, and didnt have the best view with everyone looking at the missing clam shell. I didnt see anyone looking that far forward either. if it was there on the ground, I think we would have seen them looking at that as well.

looks like they needs to add some bracing on the lower end of the cowling.

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                        There is a pic on WAP that shows it coming off down the chute
                        And some good info too. Thanks Arctic Cat.
                        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Thom would like to get the gear door back ASAP if possible. There is some hard to find hardware on it that could potentially be re-used.

Comment

Originally posted by jason View Post
                            Sawbones was landing a little slow and PM starting getting close and went around. the gear problum was found by whoever PM was racing heard it on the scanner.
                            I'm not sure Thom was really landing, I was told that he was actually doing a gear check but was still told to go around because he was getting too close... Didn't ask Thom tho, so... to be taken with grain of salt...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

another close up from the last round in the course showing the affected area.

Comment

Working...
                              X