Patriot Demo Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patriot Demo Team

Alright you two...Hacker, JCP...break it up. If you keep agreeing with each other and defending each other's right to say things....chaos is going to break out. I WILL NOT STAND FOR A MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETY GROWING BETWEEN THE TWO OF YOU!

Comment

LOL Big... Randy, I'm glad you posted that... your thoughts mirror mine and I had decided to stay out of it.

I think we all understand where JCP was coming from, I tend to agree with him, in this case... but thank you for clarifying!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Brad,
        I think the clown in your avatar looks like Frank.
        Last edited by stuntflyr; 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
          Brad,
          I think the clown in your avatar looks like Frank.
          Not enough pins on his hat, Chris....

Comment

Good point.

Comment

I just got back in the Boise Bee from the Paso Robles Air Show and decided to check in....I'm pretty sure you didn't bother to read my posts Chris, I think they were pretty easy to understand and you completely missed the point.

Thank you Randy for summarizing what I was talking about! (Hang in there Big Jim)..

Did you ever see those guys you mentioned perform Chris? I sure as hell did.......and then some.

I was even fortunate enough to watch Ray Hanna perform an acro routine at Duxford in our P-40E "Sneak Attack". That is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

JC
              Last edited by JCP; 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah,
                I have seen and lucky to have known all of the people I mentioned fly, that was why I specifically mentioned them. They all flew low and well.
                I read all of your posts and just didn't agree with you.
                But that's OK, we all have our opinions.
                Glad the Mustang is flying well,
                Chris...

Comment

There's a picture of last year's low pass on the bottom of page 133 in this year's program. Pretty sure RARA knew what they were getting.
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm still perplexed that anyone could ever confuse my opinion that an unnecessary "air show" maneuver (in my opinion) that constituted an FAA "knock it off" during the most pivotal of all years of Air Racing, which by the way was under unprecedented scrutiny by the FEDS as well as the public at large could ever be compared to Bob Hoover, Bob Love or Bill Forniff?

I respect Randy's argument and opinion because he stayed on topic (again, hang in there Big Jim!) and it made sense. As far as your assertions that I'm against the incredible performances of the men you mentioned Chris......you pulled that out of thin air. As a matter of fact, I aspire to fly as best as I am capable of, in my lifetime , to those guys. That includes my ability to fly well when flying in Air Show performances.

Do not put words in my mouth or spin the conversation I've had with Randy about the "Knock it off" into some sort of uninformed opinion about Air Show Legends.

Is this board really attracting the mind set that killed WIX?

I hope not.

JC

One last thing Chris.. I find the calus nature of your sarcastic remark about Bill's death to be beneath tasteful or respectable.
                    Last edited by JCP; 10-05-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I was on topic, the topic was low flying while performing an airshow routine. Changing of anyone's routine is known to be a contributing factor to many accidents. Just my opinion.

My response to another's post about Bill's accident was to show that the poster was not on topic as far as the why of Bill's death. The poster seemed to indicate that because he died doing a low show it was pilot error. Since the cause was Fatal Inflight Airframe Failure, there was no difference as to how high the show was when the airframe failed.

Your rush to offense is puzzling.
                      Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by JCP View Post
                        Is this board really attracting the mind set that killed WIX?

I hope not.
                        JC... not as long as I'm the administrator!

This is a "spirited" thread, I enjoyed the conversation between you and Randy, I certainly "got" your point!

I probably have not "policed" this thread closely enough in the interim between you and Randy and what's been happening.. I get my messages in an email digest and I just changed email programs (I was still using an old version of Qualcom Eudora for heck's sake!) and I'm probably not watching the digest closely enough as I dial in the new proggy (open source new Eudora).

If anything, I'm usually held to task for watching things TOO closely here, for the exact reasons you state, I don't want a hostile place!

Just remember the old saying "Non rectallis Carborundum" (don't let the a$$holes grind you down).....
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
                          I was on topic, the topic was low flying while performing an airshow routine. Changing of anyone's routine is known to be a contributing factor to many accidents. Just my opinion.

My response to another's post about Bill's accident was to show that the poster was not on topic as far as the why of Bill's death. The poster seemed to indicate that because he died doing a low show it was pilot error. Since the cause was Fatal Inflight Airframe Failure, there was no difference as to how high the show was when the airframe failed.

Your rush to offense is puzzling.
                          Chris...
                          Actually I'm well aware of the Bearcat wing structure and the cracks that form in the Spar Webs and the threaded holes in the Spar Caps that break when overloaded. Been deep inside that area before and have even worked on the Bearcat that Corky flew when flown as part of Bob Pond's Collection. I see how the airframe will break and I'm aware of the results.
                          But I still don't see how those legends you brought up fit the context of this discussion. The issue isn't low flying but that this year's event was not the time and place in JCP's opinion.

Comment

I just finished reading this thread, start-to-finish, every single post.

Well said, all. Including Chris- I immediately understood your sarcasm about structural failure at any altitude FWIW. There is certainly merit to both sides of the discussion, and I do understand JCP's concern about this year being under extra scrutiny. I also acknowledge Randy's feeling that the Patriots shouldn't be expected to change their product unless asked to do so. Frankly I'd think that changing a routine that is so consistently rehearsed and performed would ADD risk... but that's just my view from outside a pilot's world.

But the first thing that popped into MY mind hasn't been brought up (or I somehow missed it), and that is this: Don't you think that maybe it was BECAUSE of "extra scrutiny" this year that a knock-it-off call was made (erroneously, as it turns out)? I would imagine that the feds had their fingers a little tighter on the trigger than most years and might therefore have been more prone to erroneous KIO calls. Not that this is a bad thing, necessarily, but a factor in the mix.

Comment

"I'm still perplexed that anyone could ever confuse my opinion that an unnecessary "air show" maneuver (in my opinion) that constituted an FAA "knock it off" during the most pivotal of all years of Air Racing, which by the way was under unprecedented scrutiny by the FEDS as well as the public at large could ever be compared to Bob Hoover, Bob Love or Bill Forniff?"

Its been mentioned several times that the "knock it off" was NOT a result of the low pass. The FAA felt they had cut a corner, I'm guessing that was on either end of the show line. Subsequent review of the video proved that they had not cut the corner and an apology was issued by the FAA.
                              Last edited by Arctic Cat; 10-09-2012, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I wasn't even aware there was a problem with the Patriots this year. Actually that low pass would be considered a HIGH flyby in a Super Cub. On the serious side, I've seem the Patriots perform numerous times and have always enjoyed their show. They fly a nice tight show and it's always very entertaining.........however, one thing that bothers me, is how much practice do they actually get. The military teams practice for months prior to the airshow season. The Patriots are from all over the country, plus Canada.......how often are the able to get together to practice. I know they're all experienced pilots, I'm not questioning their individual abilities, and I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just wondering. I'm also curious where they practice. I know they're based out of Byron Airport.
                                If you liked that low pass you should have seen them at Miramar a few years ago when they flew formation with the Fry's Electronics 747sp. The 747 made a low pass that ..........well, lets just say, even in a super cub, it would have been low
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X