Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 232?

Default Re: 232?

Hi Lowell,

Here you can see the tailwheel partially expanded:

232 did not sound too good on start-up. Popped and smoked a couple of times but looked like it cleared after it got going. Probably didn't want to push it too hard.
    Sky Critter

Great pic Florian! Looks like the leading edge of the left side gear doors is catching some air also. That's gotta be holding them back a little.

Kevin

Okay.....anyone else seeing the similarity here with what Furias had happen this week with the tail wheel? I know Furias had problems from the time he lifted off though.

I also see the doors for the mains not being flush with the bottom of the wing. Again, Furias had the same issue (see Mr. Archers pic) in the "Furias Before & After" post.

Is this something that is or has always hit the Sea Fury's over the years?

Not a smart guy on aviation or anything, just love the races and piston engines. Seeing this though really makes me wonder about what forces are really at work on the course when they are at race speed.

Just a curious guy
    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    He saving the engine? Whats your guys thoughts?
    Hummn... see this thread

From where I was (general admission lawn chair seating next to heritage)... and from what I see in the photo in the linked post.. hard to tell.. I guess, no real reason to push to win today.. Sure looked like Hoot wanted by though..

GREAT racing, really bringing back the spirit, good vibe here this year, if you're not here yet, or were not thinking of coming, better get on that airplane or in your car and get here.. gonna be a great weekend of Reno National Championship Air Racing!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by FuryFan View Post
    If 232 has a healthy powerplant he can walk away from the Buick all day. I think 480+ laps are not out of the question if everything is up to snuff (IMHO).

Kevin
    Well.... IF its a racing 3350 and not just a -26WD. 232 might be the fastest Sea Fury ever to fly a stock -26WD (or maybe its Spirit of Texas), but that's still not enough to pass the Buick if the Buick doesn't want to be passed. ;-)

All the news we kept hearing was that 232 was getting a "hot" powerplant with rumors of a slow gearcase, though, so yeah. Shoulda been able to get around, if that's indeed what's under the cowl.