GP-5 qualifies at 363 mph!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GP-5 qualifies at 363 mph!

Here is a short clip of the V-8 powered homebuilt racer ‘Osprey GP-5’. After many years the plane finally made the trip to Reno only to have the engine…

I'm thrilled to see the one of a kind GP-5 "sweet dreams" qualify at 363mph, qualifying 3rd (with defending champ Jeff Lavelle's Glasair 3 yet to qualify). Last time around I believe they hurt the motor early so we were left in the dark regarding her speed potential. There are not many airplanes successfully flying with converted automotive water cooled V-8 engines, never mind racing at Reno(such as the Rutan assisted Pond Racer). So 363mph is a huge achievement as far as I'm concerned for a plane so new on the active racing scene. I'm not necessarily a big fan of auto conversions personally, but I sure am curious as to how well it holds up mechanically. I wish the team the best of luck with their plane.

Does anyone know any good up to date details about the plane and if any significant alterations were made to it since last year?

George

Sport Class Qualifying: (as of 6pm Tuesday)

Parker, John
    Reno, NV
    Thunder Mustang
    Blue Thunder II
    01:16.830
    378.518mph

Farnsworth, Lynn
    Roswell, GA
    Lancair Legacy L2K
    Miss Karen II
    01:18.902
    368.578mph

Behel, Lee
    San Jose, CA
    GP-5
    Sweet Dreams
    01:20.063
    363.233mph

Sterling, David
    San Diego, CA
    Lancair Legacy L2K
    01:21.148
    358.376mph

Eldredge, Kevin
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    NXT
    Relentless
    01:25.152
    341.525mph

Re: GP-5 qualifies at 363 mph!

I wonder, just what this little outfit could be capable of?

We shall see! Looking pretty quick so far!

Joseph

Comment

Maybe this year will be John Parkers year. I know him and his team have worked really hard to get the thunder mustang where it is today

Comment

I wonder, just what this little outfit could be capable of?
        I don't know but I would sure like to hear it singing it's 363 mph song!

GP

Comment

I want one! To hear that V-8 sound in the air is soooooo sweeeeeet! I can't wait to hear it this weekend!
          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

The engine was done by Hasselgren in Berkeley, a long time road racing engine builder. It has EFI, and those short little stacks make it sound like a dragster when it roars down the runway. Way cool !

Comment

Sweet Dreams went up for a test flight this evening and sounded like he had the power up quite a bit. There's no way to describe the sound of it. Just awesome!
              Sky Critter

Comment

What airport is the plane out of?

Comment

Originally posted by gschuld View Post
                  http://vimeo.com/22934568

Does anyone know any good up to date details about the plane and if any significant alterations were made to it since last year?
                  There is some current information on this site.

Comment

The ride qualities of the GP5 are less than ideal. Several times Lee was heard to mentioned after races how bad the ride had been and was wanting to know what other racers thought of the turblence encountered and how many Gs were experenced by them.

It appeared that Lee was the only one experiencing the really "bad" ride.

Comment

Thanks for the link, very good info. I had no idea they had a gear collapse and how much work they have put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by epijk View Post
                        There is some current information on this site.
                        Thank You for the link EPIJK !!! Although the (sometimes 2nd, and 3rd party) information contained within it must be taken with the obligatory grain of salt, it all rings true. I have been thirsty for GP-5's back-story all along.

It fascinated me to learn that the original design criteria for (the) GP-5 was for full on, unlimited class speeds and loads!

I salute George Pereira for having the balls to do her up righteously in the first place, much less stay involved and (partially, in certain situations) responsible for her, through all the changes!

I must also salute George Backovich, Dave Morss, and especially Lee Behel as primary's in the successful fight so far.

I can't help but wonder, had George's girl been allowed to compete in unlimited class, what the engine of choice would have been...

Just a sincere fan of this airplane, Chuck
                        Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub View Post
                          The ride qualities of the GP5 are less than ideal. Several times Lee was heard to mentioned after races how bad the ride had been and was wanting to know what other racers thought of the turblence encountered and how many Gs were experenced by them.

It appeared that Lee was the only one experiencing the really "bad" ride.
                          I for one, would very much like Lee Behel to chime in on this. After all, it was only one day, at one C.G. setting which caused him to say that.

Wasn't it?
                          Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Anyone have some video from this year they can share??

GP

Comment

Interesting read; thanks for posting.

Joseph

Comment

Working...
                              X