Plane with most years in Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plane with most years in Reno

For you historians, which plane flying at Reno this year has been at Reno the most number of years?

My brother and I were thinking either Miss America or Rare Bear.

Thanks!

Danno

Re: Plane with most years in Reno

I think it's Rare Bear by a couple of years. Big Jim would know for sure.
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Someone check and see how long Big Red(T-6) has been at Reno , I heard it was one of the longest contenders there !

Comment

Yeah, Big Reds been every year from 81 to 10 plus 68 (not sure if same plane).

Comment

Originally posted by capjessop View Post
          Yeah, Big Reds been every year from 81 to 10 plus 68 (not sure if same plane).

http://www.airrace.org/race_results/index.php
          Yeah, but Rare Bear goes back to '66? as Able Cat i believe...........Big Jim, can you chime in and confirm?
          Last edited by t-dub; 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

1969 for the bear I think... Unsure how many years they missed though.

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
              Yeah, but Rare Bear goes back to '66? as Able Cat i believe...........Big Jim, can you chime in and confirm?
              Rare Bear first went to Reno in 1969, Lyle bought her as a wreck in late 1968. she raced in '69,'70,'71,'72,'73,'74,'75,(a belly landing at Mojave sidelined her for 4 years until returning in '80,'81,'83,'85,'86,'87,'88,89,'90,'91,'92,'94,'95 ,'96,'97,'99,'03,'04,'05,'06. Then we sold it to Rod Lewis and he has continued to race it. Miss A, has been around since 1969 also having not raced in '86,'87,'91,'01,'02,'06. So from the class of '69 the two long timers are Rare Bear and Miss 'A, Miss A has missed 6 years at Reno and the Bear has missed 12, but Miss A has won the gold race on Sunday 0 times and Rare Bear has won the Sunday gold........ Well let's just see how this week goes, maybe Miss 'A will bring it home.
              John
              Last edited by BellCobraIV; 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM.
              John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                Rare Bear first went to Reno in 1969, Lyle bought her as a wreck in late 1968. she raced in '69,'70,'71,'72,'73,'74,'75,(a belly landing at Mojave sidelined her for 4 years until returning in '80,'81,'83,'85,'86,'87,'88,89,'90,
                '91,'92,'94,'95,'96,'97,'99, I'd have to check from there my memories are not as clear in the 2000 to 2006 era because I was working on mice for part of that time. Then we sold it to Rod Lewis and he has continued to race it. Miss A, has been around a long time also.
                John
                Thanks John, you of anybody would definitely know. I think Miss A started in '69 also.......

Comment

Miss America and N777L (Rare Bear) both debuted in 1969...at Reno.

The Bear may have missed more years than Miss A., I'm not sure.

Now Miss America was also raced at Lancaster in 1965 & 1966 as Dave Allender's #19, N5452V. I don't think it was even on the entry list at Reno those two years though.

Comment

I was just about to hit you on this one Lowell ...

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                      For you historians, which plane flying at Reno this year has been at Reno the most number of years?

My brother and I were thinking either Miss America or Rare Bear.

Thanks!

Danno
                      I'm almost certain its Miss America, and it doesn't matter whether you count it as "longest time between first appearance at Reno and now" or "most number of years entered."

<edit> Sheesh, If I'd looked down and seen that Slack had posted... :-p At least I wasn't totally wrong.
                      Last edited by 440_Magnum; 09-12-2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Nope it's an f1 named Judy I raced her last year

Comment

[QUOTE=f1-69;105407]Nope it's an f1 named Judy I raced her last year
                          [/QUOTE

I don't dismiss this claim, was that Judy Wagners F1? That Ray Cote raced as Judy's Turm? If so or if not could you please outline the history of the plane. Ie first year and years in attendance etc. Also since Major components are often changed on F1 racers is it the same fuselage and tail and wing design as when it first arrived. Because that would matter.
                          John Slack

Comment

So when the bear had her wings clipped each time that started her time over, didn't think so , every racer out there has been changing over the years

Comment

NO, It was NOT Judy Wagner's Shoestring winning this trivia question!

Judy and and her husband debuted the racer in 1971. It has went thru a number of owners, names, paint jobs, and changes. It has NOT been there at Reno every year since (this year is an example) 1971.

I know Holbrook well as a very close friend, and will have to call him and straighten him out on the "facts" if that's where you heard them.

Lowell

Comment

Working...
                              X