Voodoo Cockpit footage 9/16/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Cockpit footage 9/16/11

Here's some cockpit footage in Voodoo for you guys to enjoy from the 9/16/11 race with telemetry overlay. Even though she won't be there this year, this ought to get you excited for Reno 2012.

Cockpit footage from the Friday 9/16/11 race with telemetry overlay. You'll see two wake encounters during the race. Top left indicator is Indicated Airspeed…
    Last edited by Mluvara; 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM.

Re: Voodoo Cockpit footage 9/16/11

Sure wish she would be there..........I'm still hopeful.........I know, it's late but what the heck.

Comment

That last one was a real kicker ! So where are you going to be this year Mike since Voo Doo wont be there ?

Comment

Cool, calm, and collective! He makes it look so easy!
        "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Very nice Michael, there is some cool things happening in that video. Thanks

Comment

Wow. Thanks for posting that.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Nice video being in the cockpit and seeing the instruments. Must be 3 laps? I like the different camera views and think this is the future for Air Racing just like what they are doing with the NASCAR/INDY Car, Americas Cup Cameras. It captures the audiences attention and gives them a view that they would normally never see.

How do adjust the cameras view? Can you hook up a monitor to it and see what view you are getting while you are on the ground, then tighten the adjustments or do you have to shoot video, download it, view it, re-adjust the camera...?

Is that a typical flight for the unlimiteds with the right hand on the stick and the left hand resting on the left thigh occasionally making small throttle corrections?

Would be nice if the computer would give you the proper exposure for both the inside of the cockpit, where there's less light, and the terrain, where there's a light of light. Looks like we can only have one exposure. Can a computer make those corrections easily? The different exposure line seems fairly consistent throughout the video.

Maybe a transparent map of the course, with a colored dot indicating where he is on the course, or maybe a 2-3-4 way camera view, that allows the viewer to switch to whatever view they want to see, ie tail cam, cockpit cam, wing cam...

I'm understand I'm asking for a Hollywood film editors work for a peasants compensation of beer and pizza.
              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Glad you enjoyed it.

This is from the start of the Friday race last year until the race was cancelled.

Pilots all fly differently. Some rest their hand on the throttle. Will chooses to use both hands on the stick. He's reaching up to adjust something on the instrument panel, as you can actually see the throttle in the corner of the screen.

The exposure is what it is and depends on the camera.

It is possible to overlay more data and I'm working on a position track as you mentioned.

The sky's the limit with this, however this was something that a few of us on the crew played with in our spare time.

Michael

Comment

Thank you for this, Michael. I hope to see you at Reno...

Neal

Comment

Question:

Where you see the overexposed view, upwards of the cockpit canopy, can that data be enhanced and viewed like a normal exposure or is the data missing/gone/unrecoverable because it is overexposed?

I like the G Analog View and the G Meter Graph View. The graph allows you to anticipate and see in advance where the G's are. Cool stuff.

Regarding the G Meter, does 1G represent what the instrument would indicate while the plane is on the ground stationary, or is 0G what the instrument would indicate while the plane is on the ground stationary?

A person is at 1G while on earth, stationary, correct?
                    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                      Question:

Where you see the overexposed view, upwards of the cockpit canopy, can that data be enhanced and viewed like a normal exposure or is the data missing/gone/unrecoverable because it is overexposed?

I like the G Analog View and the G Meter Graph View. The graph allows you to anticipate and see in advance where the G's are. Cool stuff.

Regarding the G Meter, does 1G represent what the instrument would indicate while the plane is on the ground stationary, or is 0G what the instrument would indicate while the plane is on the ground stationary?

A person is at 1G while on earth, stationary, correct?

One can tweak the video some, but it's just the particular lighting situation in the cockpit.

1G is normal on earth and level flight would be the same. 0G is weightless. 2G is twice your weight.

FYI to all - I updated the video this morning to have some more parameters including a GPS track to see where he is on the course. Enjoy.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                        Cool, calm, and collective! He makes it look so easy!
                        Hey Matt I like your "charlie don't surf" signature!
                        Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory...

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer Division View Post
                          Hey Matt I like your "charlie don't surf" signature!
                          Hahahahahahaha! Thats awesome! You're the first one who has ever said anything about it! In my opinion, that was one of Robert Duvall's best movies, and he wasn't even the main character!

Thanks!
                          "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Robert Duvall is one of the best actors ever. Was great in that movie...just saw the series Lone Dove and he was great in that one too.
                            Don't forget the "Great Santini.........
                            Brian

Comment

I really enjoy the in cockpit footage.

Thanks for posting!

Will sure slaps the stick to the right pretty quick a couple of times.

Watched this several times.

I wish Will would chime in and tell us what his main focus is when he is doing his "scan"

THanks again for posting Mike.

More if you have it would appreciated.

I like the way you changed it to add Altitude and Groundspeed with the course icon too.

B2

Comment

Working...
                              X