News release, NTSB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: News release, NTSB

Accident investigation is a good use of my tax dollars, IMHO.
    I was told at the NTSB booth at OSH that six guys worked very hard on this for a year. If it gets other racers to checking and double checking their trim tab systems, etc, and maybe avoiding another incident, as well as helping others in GA, its money better spent than having some first "Lady" who was never elected use our money to drag her kids around the world for their benefit.

Comment

Guys and gals... this is "your" forum.. I provide the space, you, for the most part, the content within it... So I guess, if you want to drag threads like this so far off topic that we're now discussing the fiscal situation of this great country we're lucky enough to have been born in.

But holy crap, do you think you can take it to one of the other forum sections that I've created over the years?

Frankly, opinions are like a$$holes, we all have one, but I'm not necessairly wanting to share yours..... let's try to keep it, ever so slightly, on topic.

BTW, what do you think the opinion of the average person would be if the NTSB had simply done a cursory investigation, on the cheap?

Moving on...... Please....
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I think skyvan's username has been compromised and you're dealing with a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
          I think skyvan's username has been compromised and you're dealing with a troll.
          you are probably half right...
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            Sorry, I apologize. I'm tired of seeing this country being financially destroyed by people who don't care how taxpayers money is being spent.
            Wrong board dude. . . .take it to facebook.

This board discusses A I R P L A N E S. . . .
            Last edited by Dago Dog; 08-27-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
              No, I'm not serious, I'm just joking that the current US Debt is close to 16 Trillion dollars which is only $51,000 per US citizen and only $140,000 per taxpayer.

No reason to be alarmed because it will never be paid back. You can watch the numbers grow like a slot machine. Try it, it's kind of fun to laugh at because if you take it seriously you might have to hold people accountable for how they spend the taxpayers dollars, and you wouldn't want to do that, or would you? http://www.usdebtclock.org/
              Skyvan, I'd stack my conservative cred up against most on this board, but that's not why I play here. You could zero the NTSB budget and not even see the differencein the debt. They consume less than three hundred thousandths of each dollar you pay in tax by my reckoning.

They are actually in my view an example of government done right. Careful, thorough not particularly driven to sensationalism. On the big accidents they draw thoughtful and reasoned conclusions. While they likely from time to time consume too many post it notes, the fiscal burden they will leave on the back of my son might amount to the value first beer I'll be enjoying in the stands in less than three weeks. I could rant, and have from time to time, of the waste and poor choices of our government, but the NTSB ain't it.

Imagine a world without the NTSB where the answer to last years tragedy were left to ignorant, press driven political hacks to change the rules. More than any other factor, the NTSB's cautious approach to risk management is why we'll all be spending the next few weeks trying to figure out how to get to a dusty airfield in Nevada. If more of our government acted like the NTSB we'd all be happier.

Comment

An article about the NTSB findings written by AVWEB's Paul Bertorelli
                http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A..._207267-1.html Not saying I agree with him. Just one man's opinions..

Randy

Comment

What mods did Jimmy and Company actually do? The wings were clipped many years ago, did the elevator and rudder mods appear at the same time?

As far as I know, Jimmy installed the boil off system and the canopy?

Also last year, when PM arrived the FAA did a thorough inspection of the plane and controlls. Did GG and the other planes get as deep an inspection as PM did? I thought that because PM sat in a hanger for a few years plus the troubles Thom encountered on the flight from Fla. inspired the inspectors to do a deeper inspection. Anyone have any input on this?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by rocketman47 View Post
                    An article about the NTSB findings written by AVWEB's Paul Bertorelli
                    http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/A..._207267-1.html Not saying I agree with him. Just one man's opinions..

Randy
                    Thanks for posting.

The accident and loss of life will be with us for a long time. The NTSB report and some varying opinions are welcome as far as I'm concerned.
                    Things will be learned and changed.

We have survived a near death of our NCAR, let the races begin.
                    Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                      Well geez I cannot believe the cost of this is even being discussed. We have to have an NTSB investigation of big accidents like this . Ridiculous. One of the craziest things I've ever seen on an aviation forum.
                      I'd like to comment without getting into the fray of opinions on this matter. As far as I'm concerned, the NTSB has spoken - loudly and clearly on this accident. The fallout is descending upon us and the upcoming actions of those in charge of the various aspects of conducting the races will determine their fate at the close of their fifth decade.

But on the subject of the need for an NTSB, there can be little doubt that the capacity to conduct a competent air accident investigation is absolutely essential to maintaining first world standards of safety in air travel for all travelers - regardless of economic standing in the world.

Investigating transportation accidents is an excruciatingly detailed and painstaking exercise whose undertaking is not entered into lightly. Indeed, the creation of the NTSB itself arose out of a perceived need to promote safety without the burdens of politics, special interests, and perhaps most importantly the assignment of blame. This is precisely why NTSB evidence and conclusions cannot be used to support civil claims, and why the NTSB has absolute jurisdiction over an accident scene in all circumstances except those where causal criminal activity warrants the expertise of the FBI first.

There are only a handful of countries in the world whose governments have dedicated the resources necessary to properly conduct an air accident investigation. All the rest generally rely on the 'assistance' of those that can when they are faced with such a disaster on their shores. And we have recently seen the results of an utter lack of ability to perform an unfettered investigation in the case of the Gol Airlines 737 vs. the Embraer Legacy in Brazil. In that case, while Brazil's aeronautical expertise is most definitely commensurate with that of other leading nations, its lack of political resolve to overcome internal pressures seeking to assign blame for the crime of causing an air accident by seeking to alter, squelch, or fabricate facts assembled by an investigation led to the detention and house arrest of the Legacy's crew in Rio De Janeiro for several months. (Most countries do, in fact, consider such an act a crime - which, fortunately for many pilots, they do not survive to be held to account.) The final report found an implausible probable cause on the basis of evidence that outlined a series of highly improbable actions supposedly taken by the Legacy's crew when in reality the shortcomings of the Brazilian air traffic control system and a lack of "Lost Communications" procedural knowledge on the part of the Legacy's crew were the true main contributors to the midair collision.

So when we look at the cost of running an agency tasked with divining the direct and proximate causes of the worst events in the aviation industry, one really must assess the cost of NOT maintaining a leadership role and preeminent standing in the world in the field. The United States still enjoys the leading role in aircraft engineering and manufacturing, and while that role may be somewhat diminished, it requires the support of a competent and unbiased government agency that labors and opines with impunity for the betterment of the industry. Everyone benefits - not least the aviation manufacturing industry - from the existence and perennial excellence of the NTSB's investigative prowess and integrity.

Just my .02
                      Last edited by TwoZeroWest; 08-28-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X