New vs Old Course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs Old Course?

Does anyone have a drawing of the old course vs the new course, so we could see the changes in layout......an overlay of the two would be ideal. Thanks
    Brian

Re: New vs Old Course?

http://www.airrace.org/userfiles/fil...tition2012.pdf

The new course can be found in attachment B near the end of this PDF document. I couldn't find a drawing for the 2011 course.

Also attached is a scan of the course in about 1989 when they published a very accurate measurement which I transferred to a USGS topographic map taking sightings with a Brunton pocket transit. Sometime after 1989 they shortened the course moving 4,5, and 6 southward some distance. 7 moved off the fence line at that time and 8 moved inward as well.

It looks to me like they have moved 8, 9 and 1 inward to soften the turn coming out of the valley of speed, into and out of the home pylon.

However, they have moved the show line 500' east from the fence line in the valley of speed. This coupled with the new MAXIMUM race height of 250' around outer 8 (Section "IX page 13) is going to result in some serious crowding coming into 7 where there is only 691 feet between the show line and the idealized minimum race course. It looks like a lot less than that at the home pylon and pylon 3. That seems like a really small 3 dimensional space for 8 planes to share.

Has anyone been watching the jets round 7,8,9 on the start lap over the last few years?

I know Stevo said the new course wasn't a problem for Dreadnaught at PRS but that is one racer alone on the course.
    Attached Files
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Re: New vs Old Course?

Thanks Bill

Comment

Working...
      X