A Thank You From RARA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Thank You From RARA

I spoke with Valerie Miller (RARA Media Coordinator, friend of the Air Race Fan species and much more) this evening and she wanted me to thank the fans who have helped in the effort to keep the Reno Air Races going... "We're going racing!" she emphatically said... "but I really want to thank the fans and supporters from the bottom of my heart"...

They've done an amazing job down there, in some ways, I think it fair to say they've pulled a rabbit out of the hat!

That said, I also learned that they are not out of the woods yet and still have a shortfall, a significant one.. The races WILL go on, however, the current shortfall will be paid from, what would be, the money that would help ensure that there is a "next year"...

"There are no better fans than our fans" said Miller!

So I guess the bottom line is, for 100% sure, there will be a RENO 2012.. it's going to be up to us to help ensure that there's a RENO 2013 and beyond! Keep telling your friends, joining RARA, anything you can think of to spread the word and put more dollars into the kitty.

Entry list is now published on the airrace.org site, it is currently at 22 and, hopefully, will grow, up to the "full field" of 27 before the event.... More on this to come, stay tuned...

Now, I propose a toast to the people who have worked so hard for the last year, to do the right thing for the victims and survivors of our "black Friday". And tirelessly worked to ensure that the event would continue. Air racing is a great AMERICAN sport.. it's not done like we do it anywhere else in the world! It takes a special group of people to pull off an air race, imagine doing it year after year since the humble beginnings so long ago.... Here's to a great event and those who make it happen!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: A Thank You From RARA

I really thought it was done that friday afternoon. In that moment, that was the hardest thing for me to deal with. Two years in a row with no gold race due to crashes was not the send off that it deserved. I am of course delighted, but still very suprised that this year is happening. It speaks volumes about peoples dedication and love of this sport.

If we can get through this year with a complete program and no big issues I think there is a chance we can get another 5-10 years of racing in.

I will do my best to enjoy it, but I am going to have a giant pit in my stomach until all birds are down on sunday afternoon.

Thank you RARA for everything you do.

Comment

RARA has taken a lot of crap over the years from us spoiled fans (me included) but, I have to give the proverbial tip of the hat to them for pulling this event back from the brink of its demise.

I'm still rockin' my RARA licence plates.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

My humble BIG Thank You !! for all the people that made it possible

Comment

I take back anything I have said bad about RARA since Houton took the reigns. Redemption, they've had a HARD year.
          I too thought "that was it" last year. I will continue to wear my license plate proudly.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
            it is currently at 22 and, hopefully, will grow, up to the "full field" of 27 before the event.... More on this to come, stay tuned...
            This is where my interest is placed ^^^ STAY TUNED...???? Thats a cliffhanger if I've ever seen one
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

BTW, I called RARA and they said that those of us that gave bucks and joined RARA may not get our member cards in time before we leave but we can pick them up at the RARA booth at the races....
              (I still think its a good idea that when we renew our "dues" to this forum, we request that part of them go to RARA and Wayne can send them a check on behalf of the forum. I plan on upping my dues here and requesting that....right now, its time to get on the bike and do one lap of WA state.
              Last edited by Coyote Chris; 08-19-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X