• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Name Change For Reno Air Races

Got this link in an email earlier...

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Possible Name Change For Reno Air Races

If the Nevada Commission on Tourism go with something like "Nevada National Championship Air Races" or "Nevada National Air Races" then I'm OK with it.

If they go the cheap route and present us with "The AT&T Championship Air Races" or "The Google National Air Races" then I won't be too thrilled with it.

My vote would be for "The Jimmy Leeward National Air Races"". I'd like the man to be remembered years later on a positive note, and something big like this could accomplish it.

I guess whatever it takes to keep the races alive. My final view will depend on what they come up with.
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-13-2012, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Personally, I'd be thrilled with a national-level corporate sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        If the Nevada Commission on Tourism go with something like "Nevada National Championship Air Races" or "Nevada National Air Races" then I'm OK with it.

If they go the cheap route and present us with "The AT&T Championship Air Races" or "The Google National Air Races" then I won't be too thrilled with it.

My vote would be for "The Jimmy Leeward National Air Races"". I'd like the man to be remembered years later on a positive note, and something big like this could accomplish it.

I guess whatever it takes to keep the races alive. My final view will depend on what they come up with.

Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
          Personally, I'd be thrilled with a national-level corporate sponsor.
          Exactly. AT&T, Google etc would be perfectly fine with me if they are putting the $$$ up to keep this thing going.

Comment

I suspect there is more to this than that article is telling us. There are a number of unsettled law suits out there that specifically name the "N.C.A.R." Creating a seperate LLC would put any money made this year out of the hands of any possible settlements that are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
              Exactly. AT&T, Google etc would be perfectly fine with me if they are putting the $$$ up to keep this thing going.
              A "title sponsor"? You bet! $$$$

Comment

I like the Nevada National Championship and what not but could not deal with the google att stuff no no no. I know it's about the money and this could be a really good step in preserving what we all live for, but Imagine typing in Google air races in a GOOGLE search box. Seems kina weird but now as I type this, if it by any chance was google or att we would get a lot more recognition and be seen maybe in att commercials? That would be pretty cool, but where did the att and google idea come from anyway?I was thinking they would name it like the Nevada commission on tourism national air races. The N.C.O.T.N.A.R.
                Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post

Ummmm, your kidding right?

That would be the most bizarre comment to date about this.

Comment

Well, they used to have big sponserships. Remember the "Camel Unlimiteds", the "Raley's Unlimiteds". For a while Strega was the "Skoal Bandit". Who can forget Ray Cote and Circus-Circus?

I've kinda felt NCAR was kind of a misnomer as it's the only game in town.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It is what it is. It is the Reno Air Race.
                      Just sayin'

Comment

Its gonna be the:

Nevada Championship Air Races and Air Show

My guess anyway.

Comment

Now hold on.

I didn't say anything about rejecting corporate sponsorship. I just said I don't want any corp. to steal the name.

Perhaps I'm still sensitive after they changed some of the the S.F. bay area's well-known venue's names to odd-sounding ones, like historic "Candlestick Park" changed to "Monster Park", the Oakland (indoor) Arena to the "ORACLE Arena" and the Concord Pavilion to "Sleep Train Pavilion".

Or the several name changes locals here have had to endure with the San Jose Arena, changed to "Sharks Arena", then "The Compaq Center at San Jose", and then after HP bought Compaq they changed it yet again to the moniker of one of their PCs, the "HP Pavilion".

At least to me it just feels too much like selling out. If corporations want to sponsor and put up billboards, ads and what-not, that's fine. Just leave the original venue or event name be.

Just my personal beef. Sorry for ranting.

"The National Air Races Sponsored by Google".... Sounds just fine to me.

"The Google Air Races" does not. That's all.

And OK, placing Jimmy's name in the moniker of the race was not a good idea (no maybes about it, eh?). I'd still like to see Jimmy honored in memorial-form some way or another this year. He was a victim of the tragedy too you know. That was the intent of the idea, if not well thought-out.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 08-13-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I wonder how, if at all, this affects the Breitling sponsorship?

Comment

Originally posted by mrcraigarcher View Post
                              I wonder how, if at all, this affects the Breitling sponsorship?
                              Excellent question

Comment

Working...
                              X