Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RACES ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you NCOT!!! :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RACES ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you NCOT!!! :-)

From the Gazette Journal this morning:

NCOT approves $600k for Reno Air Races to ensure event goes forward this year:

The Nevada Commission on Tourism on Thursday approved $600,000 in surplus room tax revenue go to the National Championship Air Races, ensuring the event will go forward in 2012.

In a unanimous vote via teleconference, NCOT commissioners unanimously approved the funding.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

"America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: RACES ON!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you NCOT!!! :-)

UPDATE:

The Nevada Commission on Tourism on Thursday approved $600,000 in surplus room tax revenue for the National Championship Air Races, ensuring the event will go forward in 2012.

In a unanimous vote via an early-morning teleconference, NCOT commissioners unanimously approved the funding for what Nevada Lieutenant Gov. Brian Kroliciki, chairman of the board, called “an extraordinary need” for the event to continue.

The Reno Air Racing Association, which puts on the Air Races each September, was scrambling to raise $2 million to cover the insurance premium needed for this year’s races – a premium that increased significantly after last year’s tragic crash that killed 11 people and injured more than 70.

“With our expected sponsorships and commitments, we are so proud to be able to announce that we have achieved the funding requirements necessary to hold what will surely be our most emotional and highly anticipated event in our 49-year history,” Mike Houghton, president and CEO of the Air Races said in a statement.

The Air Races are scheduled for Sept. 12-14 at Reno Stead Airport.
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Thanks for posting.

Thats so awesome it brought tears of joy to my eyes.

Comment

Ya beat me to it!
        I figured some "sugar daddy" would come through when it came down to the wire.
        Good for them!
        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Everyone needs a good sugardaddy at least once
          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Thank you NCOT. Great news

Comment

It goes to show that the powers take this sport and the income it brings seriously. Thanks again NCOT!

BTW there is a billboard downtown advertising the races with none other than Sparky on it!
              Go Sparky!
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Awesome News!

If the math is as it seems, I'd say the sponsor/donor activity has been impressive. It was two weeks ago that RARA annnounced that they needed $1,000,000 to keep the races alive. So, if $600,000 pays the bill today, that would mean that "the rest of us" came up with $400,000 in the past 14 days

Comment

I can almost already hear the bee-out-of-hell buzz of Strega, the rolling thunder of Rare Bear, the eerie-to-angry howl of 232, the spaceship noise of Precious Metal, the bass overload of La Patrona...you get the idea! :-D
                  -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

The is done!

Looking forward to the races!

Comment

From the moment RARA started asking for donations, I think RARA should have stepped forward and posted the results of how much money was donated by private funds. It seems to be the appropriate thing to do if you want public donations.

I wonder how much Nevada would have lost in taxes if the races were cancelled?

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                      Awesome News!

If the math is as it seems, I'd say the sponsor/donor activity has been impressive. It was two weeks ago that RARA annnounced that they needed $1,000,000 to keep the races alive. So, if $600,000 pays the bill today, that would mean that "the rest of us" came up with $400,000 in the past 14 days
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM.

Comment

They say they bring $80-100 million to the local economy on average. Room taxes, sales taxes, fuel taxes (fans driving) plus the taxes on the gaming. It's got to be substantial. I have not been able to find numbers though.
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Best news I've heard in ages! Hat's off to everyone at RARA, NCOT, City of Reno, Airport Authority, FAA, etc. for navigating some pretty treacherous waters over these last several months.

The countdown clock it ticking folks...less than 50 days until we once again gather in the high desert to celebrate the World's Fastest Motorsport.

It will likely be an emotional mix of melancholy, memories, and metal. I, for one, am anxious beyond words.

Well done to all who had a hand in this. Each of us provided momentum and motivation...pat yourselves on the back. And be sure to say, "Thank You!" to every RARA rep you encounter in September.

Congrats Everyone...see you soon.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

RARA=Reno Air Race Awesomeness!!

Thanks RARA, NCOT.....you people rock!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              Ya beat me to it!
                              I figured some "sugar daddy" would come through when it came down to the wire.
                              Good for them!
                              You can just betcha that they were aware of the donations by fans as well... remember, I told ya, folks were watching OUR reaction to the shortfall....

The NCAR is, by far, the most unique aviation event held anywhere in the world... it is only held in Reno, Nevada, home of the National Championship Air Races...

Long Live RARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I KNEW we could do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's keep them donations coming though... the purse can ALWAYS use help!!!!!

See ya in September!!!!!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X