Odd Reno Marketing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Reno Marketing?

I was reading up on the demographics on who goes to the races on the RARA website.
    "• The percentage level of visitors at the Air Races this year was approximately 75 percent, while local residents represented 25 percent of the total. Fluctuating between roughly 70 to 80 percent over the last several years, the percentage level of visitors was generally within the range of historical results.
    • Overall attendance is estimated at approximately 210,000, exhibiting extremely similar levels of attendance over the last four to five years.
    • Total number of people attending the Air Races is estimated at 75,000.
    • As a result of the overall 75/25 percent split of visitor/local attendance for the Air Races, it is estimated that approximately 56,342 of the total 75,123 people attending were visitors to the area. The remaining balance, approximately 18,781 people, were local residents, also very similar compared to estimates of the last several years."
    I was mistaken that the majority of folk that go to the races are from down the hill, depending on what the definition of the word "local" means. Seems to me that if those 56k non-local folk who care enough to spend bucks and time attending the races would kick in an average of $20 bucks, the insurance issue would go away
    I dont know about you, but if the problem were put to me in that light, I would say, "Sure, I would kick in $20 to save the races" At least that is how I would market the donation fund. I would also provide donners at say the $100 level a lanyard and simple credential to show folks at the races who are the real fans.....just a thought. BTW, please dont whine that $100 is way out of a person's reach....the whiners usually have big cable bills, huge cell phone bills, and buy at least $100 worth of potato chips and pop a year....if you dont have a cell phone and use rabbit ears and dont buy junk food, the whine zone is open....

Re: Odd Reno Marketing?

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
    I was reading up on the demographics on who goes to the races on the RARA website.
    "• The percentage level of visitors at the Air Races this year was approximately 75 percent, while local residents represented 25 percent of the total. Fluctuating between roughly 70 to 80 percent over the last several years, the percentage level of visitors was generally within the range of historical results.
    • Overall attendance is estimated at approximately 210,000, exhibiting extremely similar levels of attendance over the last four to five years.
    • Total number of people attending the Air Races is estimated at 75,000.
    • As a result of the overall 75/25 percent split of visitor/local attendance for the Air Races, it is estimated that approximately 56,342 of the total 75,123 people attending were visitors to the area. The remaining balance, approximately 18,781 people, were local residents, also very similar compared to estimates of the last several years."
    I was mistaken that the majority of folk that go to the races are from down the hill, depending on what the definition of the word "local" means. Seems to me that if those 56k non-local folk who care enough to spend bucks and time attending the races would kick in an average of $20 bucks, the insurance issue would go away
    I dont know about you, but if the problem were put to me in that light, I would say, "Sure, I would kick in $20 to save the races" At least that is how I would market the donation fund. I would also provide donners at say the $100 level a lanyard and simple credential to show folks at the races who are the real fans.....just a thought. BTW, please dont whine that $100 is way out of a person's reach....the whiners usually have big cable bills, huge cell phone bills, and buy at least $100 worth of potato chips and pop a year....if you dont have a cell phone and use rabbit ears and dont buy junk food, the whine zone is open....
    I like your logic. I'm keeping my 4-year-old Blackberry phone, trying to lean out my Mountain Dew intake and have donated to the cause

How about a 1% pledge drive?.... Let's all "Occupy Reno" by becoming "One Percenters"... I hope to spend about 1% of this year (Sept. 13-16) in Reno, so 1% of salary for the year seems like a logical donation to keep the air races alive.... I'm in for 1%. Who's with me?

Comment

1. I would think the local people would want to avoid the Air Races due to the large crowds and traffic congestion that is associated with a lot of people converging into a small area.

2. I think either your wording or your figures are off. Something just seems wrong as I read your text on the attendance figures.
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I guess it's kind of like the fact that most Reno denizens never go gambling, or that most New Yorkers never see the Statue of Liberty in person in their lifetimes. It's always out-of-towners willing to pay tourist and/or vacation dollars.

We are a scattered group. I've met very few people at the races that actually live anywhere in Nevada. On the contrary, most came from the San Fran. bay area where I live, although one fella we re-united with every year throughout the 80's drove all the way from Oregon, 9 hrs in his old Dodge pickup with a cab-over camper, just for the races.

When the NCAR gets in your blood, it's there to stay.

Comment

And some of us come from WA and Canada to volunteer as well as watch the races. Some NAG members, who are not Press, also come from England, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Brussels. We are all plane nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
            And some of us come from WA and Canada to volunteer as well as watch the races. Some NAG members, who are not Press, also come from England, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Brussels. We are all plane nuts!

Hey!! I resemble that remark

Comment

I'll 2nd & 3rd that Betty.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
              X