KRNV News about RARA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KRNV News about RARA

Unfotunately (for us) it is not Reno's biggest draw, only about $100 million. It gets beat by Hot August Nights, Street Vibrations and the Rib Cookoff at least. Even the bowling tounements come close in money for the local economy.
    Still one of the tops though and it DOES fill rooms and services. With last years events I am sure there is a little reluctance to sponser it all-out, puplic opinion being so fickle. Would be nice if Harrahs or Circus would be a major sponser as in the old days.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

From the RGJ

The Reno Sparks Convention Visitors Authority finance committee voted Friday to give the Reno Air Racing Association $75,000 to help pay its $2 million insurance premium.

The vote is pending approval by the RSCVA board of directors on July 26.

The air race insurance premium jumped $1.7 million this year from last year after the Sept. 16 crash that killed 10 people on the ground and unlimited class pilot Jimmy Leeward, 74.

So far, the air races have raised $500,000 from hotel partners, race director Mike Houghton said. A couple tentative agreements of $100,000 and a possible $75,000 from RSCVA — still pending approval — would bring the total raised to about $1 million, Houghton said. The air races would still have to raise about $1 million to pay the premium before the Sept. 1 deadline, or else the event will not happen, Houghton said.

“I will sell my soul to the devil (to keep this event alive),” Houghton said before the RSCVA finance committee Friday.

The additional $75,000 from RSCVA would be on top of $75,000 the air races received from the RSCVA special events fund approved in January, RSCVA communications director Ben McDonald said. The air races received a disproportionate amount of the $197,000 special events fund because of the hurdles it faced, McDonald said.

Comment

If the races really pull ~$100 million in for the local economy, it should be a no-brainer for businesses to kick in. Is there any sort of organized campaign targeted at the local businesses?
        Sky Critter

Comment

Originally posted by beachboss View Post
          Sent my $100 through the donation link. Anyone else?
          It will take 10,000 donations at $100 each to equal 1 million dollars. Are there 10,000 people who will donate $100 or more?

I think they need to focus on asking people with BIG BUCKS like these folks here:

Here is the list of the wealthiest people in the United States from Forbes website:

1. is Bill Gates at 59 Billion

2. is Warren Buffet at 39 Billion

3. is Larry Ellison at 33 Billion...

Somebody start sending them emails with the request for only 1 million, drop in the bucket to a Billionaire.
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-13-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

$100 donated.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
              $100 donated.
              That's the spirit! Nobody's going to have to sell their soul to anyone, not with fans like us on board!

We may not be able to do it on our own but I guarantee that every dollar we donate to help make this happen will not go unnoticed by the locals and those who do have the $$ to make it happen. Those local businesses know how much we spend when we're there, I don't think they will let us just vaporize, never to return... Folks, this is not just a one off deal, they know that. Once we're gone, many of us will never return to Reno again for any reason... many MANY dollars lost to the local economy... year after year after year...

This is our time, time to step up and help keep something very American alive! 911 didn't do it... we all thought it would... how could RARA survive that... they did, we did... we're all still here and more!

Time to beat the bushes, tell that friend that you've been telling for years "ya gotta see this" that THIS is the year!

Bstocker.. that's the spirit... You did your part, nothing will be canceled, there will be a RENO 2012 and you'll always be able to know in your heart what you did to help continue the sport...

Many of us thought we were cooked last September on that terrible Friday... we've been given a second chance..

Can any of you really imagine a life without our annual air race event?

For many of us, it's the only aviation event we go to annually... ever driven through the neighborhoods during race week, remember the look in people's eyes as they walk from their car, or camp toward the field? This is not just an event, it's a pilgrimage! It's our mecca... what would we do without it!

I don't have a bunch of money, hell, I'm going into debt (again) just to go this year! I'll still donate that $100. even if it's on a credit card... Not gonna lose this part of my life without a fight.

How many of you have started new jobs and negotiated your September vacation as part of your employment?

This is a bigger part of our lives than sponsors or anyone with big $$ might know... yet....

We can do this!!!!!!!!!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

How about ex Microsoft Paul Allen with all the planes in the state of Wash. I bet he could figure out a way as a write-off donation somehow.
                Lockheed Bob

Comment

Thank you AAFO WSagar for so eloquently verbalizing what my feelings are also about this event.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                    Thank you AAFO WSagar for so eloquently verbalizing what my feelings are also about this event.
                    LOL.. first version, which, with a slip of the wrist, became a blank page, was a lot better....

Thanks!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                      How about ex Microsoft Paul Allen with all the planes in the state of Wash. I bet he could figure out a way as a write-off donation somehow.
                      Are donations tax deductable?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                        Are donations tax deductable?
                        Donations made to the RARA are not tax deductable... donations made to the Reno Air Racing Foundation, which funds a lot of the activities held during the races, not, the races themselves, are deductable... I'm sure RARA's site has more information and we will also have more information soon...
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by bstocker View Post
                          That's great! I paid for my box last week to the tune of $3,150.00... My guess is I will never see that money back after the event is cancelled and RARA files bankrupt papers. So much for Mike saying not to long ago that the 2012 Reno Air Races would go on...
                          I hate to be the pessimist, but I've lost so much to scammers that I'm more cautious than before.

Maybe it would be a good idea to email them now and ask them

1. if the insurance cannot be paid, will all my money be refunded?
                          2. is my money guaranteed to be refunded? How is it guaranteed? escrow account...?

It is misleading to tell race fans the races are on (which they could be), but omit an important part "only if we can afford to pay the insurance cost", then accept payment for tickets and leave the payer with the unknown of what will happen if insurance costs cannot be paid. Will your money be refunded 100%?

It is common today for Business Executives to take huge salaries, bonuses and compensations, then close business and leave the small person with the losses.
                          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I'm thinkin' a little bit of faith is in order here... try to keep the vision of a world where there is no air racing....

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                            It is common today for Business Executives to take huge salaries, bonuses and compensations, then close business and leave the small person with the losses.
                            Man-O-Man... I've known these folks (RARA) a loong time, it's no accident that the races have continued, even after the disastrous week of September 9, 2001... I have it on pretty good authority that RARA staff and management are not in this "for the money".

I know this is a land of free speech and all that but... damnit... the folks trying to squeeze this out of the disaster that last year was, read this forum... How'd you like a slap in the face like this at your daily job? We all sit here and dream about the next NCAR, no brainer, that's fun.. The nuts-and-bolts of making it happen, jumping through the hoops, crossing all the t's dotting all the i's... pray your volunteers all come through for you, your demo teams are lined up, weather gods are smiling on you...on and on.. I'm sure we don't have a clue of the work involved keeping this event going from year to year. Not to ignore the fact that NO ONE ELSE has ever been successful putting on a continious air racing event... anywhere.

Hands down folks, I'm putting out a big digital pat on the back for these RARA guys..

I'm probably as big a "realist" as you'll find, but there is a time and a place to just let it hang out, have faith and let your positive energy flow...
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

As far as refunds, remember after last years shorten races, you could get a refund........I think most of us didn't apply and felt the money could go for the future of the races.
                              As far as the comments that the races are a GO perhaps:

1. Someone behind the scenes has already said they will step up if the money isn't raised............hence the statement.

OR

2. The insurance company will wait till after the races for the balance of the payment, but a good faith effort has to be made to make full payment prior to Sept 1...........hence the statment.

I find it hard to believe that they would be cancelled at such a late date when considering all the effort in organizing the vendors, PRS, waivers, FAA, and all the other items that go on behind the scenes to put on such an event..........however, I guess it could be cancelled.......but I sure hope not.
                              I think in the future over coming one million dollar additional expense wouldn't be tat difficult.....I've heard there's approx 250,000 people each year that attend.......just a $4 ticket increase would cover that extra expense. LET"S GO RENO
                              Brian

Comment

Just sent my $100.00 and bought two shirts as well. Anybody wanna match it? Double it? Time is now to step up and do your part to lend a little extra support to those who pull this magic show off every year so we can enjoy. Doesn't have to $100.00. Whateveryou feel you can afford.

Get'er Done!!!
                                Owen Ashurst
                                Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                                http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X