My PRS Offerings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PRS Offerings

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. I was overseas immediately following PRS and I had very poor internet access. Things just had to wait. So here are a few to get things rolling.

Enjoy!

TZW

Re: My PRS Offerings

Outstanding pics! Thanks for them! Who is in the jet? Pardon my ignorance but what kind of jet is that?

Chad

Comment

Originally posted by ChadK View Post
      Outstanding pics! Thanks for them! Who is in the jet? Pardon my ignorance but what kind of jet is that?

Chad
      That's Lachie Onslow in an Iskra TS-11 - Polish trainer.

Comment

Better late than never!

I like the T-6 shot, and the sport!

What was your impression of the course changes?

Joseph

Comment

Love the pix, especially the first one.

...And this shot offers a unique perspective view that makes the smaller aircraft appear as large as a Sea Fury. It's a view showing a glimpse of the unlimited racer of the future.

Someday we'll have to spare the remaining rare WWII airframes and build airframes similar to OUTRAGEOUS and NEMESIS NXT in the scale of a full-size warbird (or near Tsunami's size at least), mount a clean laminar-flow wing on them and go racing.

If the air races ares to go on, then someday those old-and-getting-older airframes are all gonna be retired and restored to stock again. This could make for a good replacement for them.

Still, there's that problematic "what engine?" issue. It has to be powerful, light AND reliable enough to survive 20+ minutes at full throttle in thick, turbulent, low-altitude air.

Those characteristic get harder to find the bigger the engine and aircraft get.

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-11-2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
            Love the pix, especially the first one.

<snip>

Someday we'll have to spare the remaining rare WWII airframes and build airframes similar to OUTRAGEOUS and NEMESIS NXT in the scale of a full-size warbird (or near Tsunami's size at least), mount a clean laminar-flow wing on them and go racing.

If the air races ares to go on, then someday those old-and-getting-older airframes are all gonna be retired and restored to stock again. This could make for a good replacement for them.

Still, there's that problematic "what engine?" issue. It has to be powerful, light AND reliable enough to survive 20+ minutes at full throttle in thick, turbulent, low-altitude air.

Those characteristic get harder to find the bigger the engine and aircraft get.

Ya know, everything you said here is on point. I'll add though, that those same concerns were generating conversations like this in 1978. Back then it was just unthinkable that these 35+ year-old airplanes could last much longer. And the engines ... the engines hadn't been made or had parts manufactured for them in 20+ years!

Things seem to have changed - Necessity - the mother of all invention.

Tsunami and Pond Racer were the two great forays into creating something genuinely new - at least they were successfully raced. Sure, there have been a lot of modifications - some pretty radical - to existing aircraft and some new eastern bloc types have shown up on the radar, but the rigors of designing newer and faster has ultimately involved reductions in scale down to the realm of Sport/Super Sport (whatever the nom-du-jour is).

The fact is that WWII airframes were built to withstand a brutal war that was consistently unkind to the materiel used to fight it, and that was unrelenting in its thirst for continuous action regardless of the condition of the men or the machines. That robustness is the reason we're still racing North American, Douglas, Hawker, Lockheed, and Grumman engineered stuff a full 70 years after the technology first entered the production lines of our factories.

No matter what, it'll be interesting. It always has been.

TZW

Comment

More pics now.

5. Finally, when is a thread of testosterone-laden airplane pics ever complete without a little feminine bling?

Comment

Great pictures!

Did you happen to get any of "Unleashed" on the track? Sport class #55

I think I may have a nose gear door blowing open, and a pic would confirm that.

Thanks,
                Tom McNerney
                Unleashed Air Racing
                Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                    Great pictures!

Thanks,
                    Tom McNerney
                    Unleashed Air Racing
                    Yep. I've got a couple that show the doors sagging open maybe a half inch or so - nothing OPEN though.

From where I was, the only time I could see the underside of the nose was as you were in a head-on aspect to me kinda far from the pylon.

Stby for pics.

Comment

Great pictures!

Thanks,
                      Tom McNerney
                      Unleashed Air Racing
                      Here are a couple of pics. They're both fairly tightly zoomed so they're not necessarily pretty but they deliver the message. These were both taken on Friday afternoon, BTW.

This first one shows the separation at the L/R seam I was talking about.

This second one shows something else - a part I can't ID - hanging what appears to be a bit of a ways into the breeze - might be the source of your rumble.

Comment

Awesme shots!!! It is pretty amazing what you can capture at 260+ mph..

I see the trailing edge of the nose gear door is blowing open. I think that when the nose gear retracts it has to travel through a notch in the firewall. This leaves a small gap around the strut. The lower cowl pressure is then leaking in to the nose gear well. Once there, the next weakest link is to bend the trailing edge of the door open and release the pressure. This is a new problem caused by my reduction of cooling air exit on the lower cowl. It was about 5 times as big, so the air didn't need to spill in to the gear well. Now that I have it reduced, it has found a new path to escape. I think the solution will be to build a "Tab" that is attached to the nose gear, and when it is retracted it will cover the slot in the firewall. Thus, keeping the nose gear well at low pressure. Obviously the hard part is to make it fail proof, so the gear always works. Thats kinda a big deal.

In flight there are no side effects. No noise, or anything. But, it would be a shame to loose the door.. haha

Thanks again for the pics, they are awesome!
                        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Thanks again for the pics, they are awesome!
                          I've got some more - just haven't posted. Let's just say they involve a hand gesture you made as you passed by us at the pylon on a couple of laps.

More coming.

Comment

hahaha

I was wondering if you guys would see that. It was the only pylon with photographers so I had time to plan.

It was 2 fingers, not 1!! Hope that came across
                            Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

a hand gesture you made as you passed by us at the pylon on a couple of laps.
                              That might make a great wallpaper...
                              I get in trouble for some noseart. That would make HR REAL happy, if they caught it. I live to tweak the system.
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X