Thunder in the Sky-2012 Auburn, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunder in the Sky-2012 Auburn, CA

Last edited by Bigger Al; 10-05-2014, 10:13 AM.

Re: Thunder in the Sky-2012 Auburn, CA

WOW!! Haven't seen the H in years. Coutches still own it? Still Hayward based? Good to see that it's still tearin up the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
      WOW!! Haven't seen the H in years. Coutches still own it? Still Hayward based? Good to see that it's still tearin up the blue.
      I saw it out last year for the Nut Tree Gathering of Mustangs.

and it was at the Travis Airshow.

Will

Comment

Love the photos!

MustangsMustangs says 464551 (reg: N551H) is still a Hayward local:

Last edited by AirDOGGe; 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

This is for the Dwelle family.

Is there any chance that the Air Racer formerly known as Critical Mass will be in Reno this September, So that we may all see the outstanding work put into her rebuild?

Thanks for any updates,

Dave
          Dave

Comment

Hi Dave-

No chance of that, we're still at least a year from flying. My full-time job gets in the way of the project! Stop by the next time you drive through Auburn and have a look in person.

Ken

Comment

Full time job? i thought that all the airplane stuff was paid for with your part time job at taco bell...

looking real good ken can't wait to see her in the air. you going to give us any hints as to how you are going to paint it?
              Last edited by tow-3; 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM.
              bob burns
              ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Ken, thank you sir for the update. I will have to do that when I get back that way. Or talk my brother into flying the Mooney in there. Planning on being out that way early August for my 50th with the family. maybe I'll talk the parental units in to letting me drive them from Fallon to Fremont with a stop in Auburn possibly. Thanks again, I look forward to seeing her in her element again soon.

Dave
                Dave

Comment

Sure I'll give you a hint. The answer to your question can be found in the photo at the top of the page.

Ken

Originally posted by tow-3 View Post
                  Full time job? i thought that all the airplane stuff was paid for with your part time job at taco bell...

looking real good ken can't wait to see her in the air. you going to give us any hints as to how you are going to paint it?

Comment

Metallic Silver or Canary Yellow?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle View Post
                      Sure I'll give you a hint. The answer to your question can be found in the photo at the top of the page.

Ken
                      I'm guessing in Canadian colors, ala, the Texan in the background.

Comment

Hi Chad-

It's not really a secret as we have now decided on a paint scheme. The Fury will be finished in the colours she wore in 1953-1956 while serving with the Royal Navy's Advanced Fighter School, 738 Squadron, Lossiemouth Scotland. The scheme is silver overall with yellow "trainer" bands and the British national markings (roundels). Looks almost like this: http://www.sandersaircraft.com/resto..._3307-1024.jpg

That being said, she did spend more time (almost 20 years) as a Poppy Red air racer than in any other configuration and we will pay respect to that in a way that is best left as a surprise!

-Ken
                        Last edited by Ken Dwelle; 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Dwelle View Post
                          That being said, she did spend more time (almost 20 years) as a Poppy Red air racer than in any other configuration and we will pay respect to that in a way that is best left as a surprise!
                          I can't wait to see the results Ken and wish you guys the very best with the airplane. I hope she provides you with reliable service for as long as you decide to keep her.

PS - So are the silver drop tanks the clue you were referring to then or am I missing something else?
                          Last edited by Chad Veich; 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Veich View Post
                            PS - So are the silver drop tanks the clue you were referring to then or am I missing something else?
                            You've got it Chad, the silver drops were the clue.

Thanks for your support and nice words. Regarding how long we intend to keep it.... it will stay in the family.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X