off topic Airbus A330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: off topic Airbus A330

Current stall recovery procedures center on (LOWERING) angle-of-attack, not power!!!

Read this: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-power-357321/

After all, for pity's sake, by definition a stalled condition means the angle-of-attack is too high!!!

Everyone should carefully read the cockpit voice transcript from that wretched flight, that Wayne posted for us in reply #27 of this thread. Especially anyone who is ever going to pilot an airplane with innocent souls on-board.

Here is the link again: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ce-447-6611877

AF flight 447 was, is, and hopefully will continue to be, nearly the most shameful example of (total) lack of Crew Resource Management that I have studied this century.

Still traumatized by the sheer magnitude of negligence 7 months after learning how pathetically that flight crew failed to perform their duty,
    Chuck
    Last edited by C_roundy; 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM.
    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
      Current stall recovery procedures center on (LOWERING) angle-of-attack, not power!!!

Read this: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-power-357321/

After all, for pity's sake, by definition a stalled condition means the angle-of-attack is too high!!!

Everyone should carefully read the cockpit voice transcript from that wretched flight, that Wayne posted for us in reply #27 of this thread. Especially anyone who is ever going to pilot an airplane with innocent souls on-board.

Here is the link again: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...ce-447-6611877

AF flight 447 was, is, and hopefully will continue to be, nearly the most shameful example of (total) lack of Crew Resource Management that I have studied this century.

Still traumatized by the sheer magnitude of negligence 7 months after learning how pathetically that flight crew failed to perform their duty,
      Chuck
      Dear C roundy,

I respectfully submit to, before you attempt to correct Shorebird because of something you've read on the internet, The man is Typed (Type Rated) on the B-727, B-737, DC-8, L-1011, B-757/767, (Airbus) A-320, B-747, and currently Typed and qualified B-777 among other qualifications.

Also note the link you provided address "Revised stall procedures...." particular to AF 447 situation. In which these Frog pilots where too stupid recognize they where stalled even if there foie gras bit them on the a$$.

If you would like to proceed please do so at your own risk but to the amusement of us who know better.
      Last edited by Dialtapper; 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: Forgot a couple of Types

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post

Chuck
        I agree, but this is still top on my list of the true negligence..Air France pilots were just rookies and chief was sleeping...still no excuse.

These had working instruments/meters and still lost it;
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by First time Juke; 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

shorebird...

Is the procedure you posted basically THE 'one procedure to handle most all scenarios' ? If so, I understand. Kinda like using the Saturn V to increase forward motion thereby decreasing the relative wind angle component *(IF excess power is available)*

Didn't this procedure get its start after the Delta flight 193 incident back in '85 ?

Problem I have with flight 447's response to their issues is, what seems like, a total lack of situation analysis and reliance on the one procedure that fixes all...

Maybe I'm way off base, but...

Bob

Comment

I posted basic jet stall recovery technique to point out the difference between stall recovery at high altitude, which is usually not practiced, and stall recovery at low altitude which is practised routinely in the sim. In most cases all a pilot has to do in stall condition at FL350 is lower the nose. Firewall power at that altitude would be counter productive. The Airbus was trying it's best to save these guys but they wouldn't let it. It amazes me that this airplane descended at such a stable nose high attitude until impact, even with the pilots holding all that back pressure.

Yes Tibia, the DFW L10-11 windshear crash placed a new emphasis on low altitude windshear recovery. Modern jet aircraft have lots of extra thrust at the firewall stops at low altitude. This extra thrust combined with high AOA can provide powerful climb performance that can save your butt. Windshear recovery, in the landing and takeoff configuration is also practised a bunch in the sim. The key to the recovery is to get the power in, stop the sink with the pitch and don't reconfigure (don't touch the gear).

Comment

Thanks shorebird. Great description and explanation.

Muchly appreciated.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X