X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Timer...any tips???

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
    @Jim
    How is that going to happen this year with him in San Diego with the boats?

Or are you bringing the camper with DJ?
    Well, he said he wasn't going to go last year either....and San Diego fell through. I am not holding my breath for this year either. LOL

DJ and I will be camping out on a friend's floor out in Red Rock....so almost like having the camper there, but with more room. Oh, and Captain America will be with us too...he's flying in on Tuesday night for the full week.

Comment

All good advice, I'd also throw in that you owe it to yourself to NOT spend all of your time during the races with your face planted in a camera of any kind!

It's not a good thing to only find out who was where when you look at your photos later! Put the camera down, enjoy the races!! You'll always be able to find photos to look at here or other websites (or... ugh... facebook.cia)
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

First: Welcome! So hope your and your soon to be wife (congrats!) totally enjoy the whole Reno Air Race Experience. and Reno also.

All weather layering a very good idea - light thin outer layers help depending on your mod of travel.

Which I saw no mention of how you may actually address getting to the races and or parking. If you are driving each day - Come Friday we've found unless you arrive before 9 am or plan on leaving very early say 2:30-ish (missing last fastest races of the day) you have to plan on traffic! slow arrival and departure, as in a big city rush hour. And keep in mind - School Zone speeds strickly inforced in all Nevada!

IF you hope to plan on spending the day - plan on the whole day. There are also reasonable buses that depart to and from several downtown locations all day long, leaving the driving to them. We pay to park rather close in, and make whole day of it. (yes we're long time addicted)

You must tell you more, does wife to be, enjoy aircraft in general, just because?
        Does she look up to identify what type aircraft is flying overhead?
        Does she enjoy flying as much as you do?
        If she does not answer yes to at least 2 of these then she may not quite so blinded to all else excited
        Then I think you could get more detailed advise on the extra curricular actives.

Be careful though, my husband's first year was in '69. Then in '83 he tells me everyone should see the races once . . . I've drug him back every single year since!! (We were there even 9/11 to watch grounded aircraft sit)
        Same seats since the new bleachers, (back we can't remember how long ago? '86 - 87?) with most of our same friends each year.
        It's become to us, our . . family reunion of sorts / new years all wrapped up in one!

Most importantly have fun! Relax!
        Expect to meet a lot of just plane crazy folks!
        What part of 'Air Race FAN-atic' do you not understand?
        Like the chips - You can't attend just one!

Comment

ill one up this first time exp ill put you and the wife on the crew of one of my planes, if your willing to polish on the prettiest plane at reno.pick a plane and let me know
          Last edited by f1-69; 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM.

Comment

11'th year...i will help polish airplanes if no one else wants to!
            Todd Smith

Comment

Hey all...I've enjoyed all the advice on this thread...but due to financial emergencies that were impossible to predict, I will not be able to make the trip this year...wish me luck on getting my flight & rental car money back...does anyone know of two people that would like Reserved Section Season Tickets and Week-Long Pit Passes? I have to sell them now.
              "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
                Hey all...I've enjoyed all the advice on this thread...but due to financial emergencies that were impossible to predict, I will not be able to make the trip this year...wish me luck on getting my flight & rental car money back...does anyone know of two people that would like Reserved Section Season Tickets and Week-Long Pit Passes? I have to sell them now.
                Damn...I just HATE it when real life interferes with having fun. Sorry.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the chage in plans. Just start planning and saving for next year.
                  Betty

Comment

Working...
                  X