Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So What about the Bear?

Originally posted by agairinc View Post
    Can some tell me why the P3 prop came off? It sure looked to me like the bear was turning out some good speeds with it.. 3 blades more efficient than 4 ...
    Just chalk it up to personal preference. Gyroscopic effect sounds like a good 'reason' to hide behind, but the FBDoR was not only man enough to handle it, but also said it was hands-down faster.

Just because it was more of a handful on the race course doesn't mean it was slower...it was just more difficult.

That being said, the plane is still plenty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
      Just chalk it up to personal preference. Gyroscopic effect sounds like a good 'reason' to hide behind, but the FBDoR was not only man enough to handle it, but also said it was hands-down faster.

Just because it was more of a handful on the race course doesn't mean it was slower...it was just more difficult.

That being said, the plane is still plenty fast.
      It wasn't a Gyroscopic effect at all it was the pounding of the blade pulses felt through the rudder pedals at speed. Once the FBDoR wasn't racing the beast anymore it was a detriment. There was only one FBDoR, And One Bob Love, And One Darryl, There is only One Skip, And last but not least there is only one Tiger. But The Kid is awesome in his own right. So I guess there are now six great unlimited race pilots in my opinion.
      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM.
      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
        It wasn't a Gyroscopic effect at all it was the pounding of the blade pulses felt through the rudder pedals at speed. Once the FBDoR wasn't racing the beast anymore it was a detriment. There was only one FBDoR, And One Bob Love, And One Darryl, There is only One Skip, And last but not least there is only one Tiger. But The Kid is awesome in his own right. So I guess there are now six great unlimited race pilots in my opinion.
        Oh yeah? Like YOU'D know?

Comment

Ok, I'll ask, what's "FBDoR"?

As for Greatest Unlimited Race Pilot, there is only one. Skip.

You can debate all you want about whoever you think might be tied for second, there are a few to pick from. Their good in their own right, winning in the same plane they got accustom to. You only get to be #1 by winning in different planes, and if I recall, for bonus points, first time out.

So just to help out, cause I'm that kind of guy, if anyone thought #1 is anyone other than Mr. Holm, they would be wrong.

Comment

FBDoR = Fastest Bear Driver on Record. At least that is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
              Ok, I'll ask, what's "FBDoR"?
              FBDoR = Former Benevolant Dictator of Rarebearland = Lyle Shelton

Goes back a few years to the attempted takeover by certain people on the team and the owner's response (heavily paraphrased): "They're under the misperception that this is a democracy."

Comment

No doubt about the coolness part. I was in reno the first year it raced with the P3 prop... 1991 if I'm remembering correctly. nevertheless it was absolutley bad #%! and made a fool of every airplane in the gold. In my opinion, they need to sort out the issues with it and get back up front again.

Comment

Goes back a few years to the attempted takeover by certain people on the team and the owner's response (heavily paraphrased): "They're under the misperception that this is a democracy."
                  There's no doubt the 3 blade has a awesome cool, sight and sound factor.

But the CBDoR, the man with three brains, says the 4 blade is faster. And he only cares about one thing, winning races.

Comment

.But the CBDoR, the man with three brains, says the 4 blade is faster. And he only cares about one thing, winning races.
                    Interesting, since he designed his own racer with a similar 3 blade setup as the Bear except using L-188 blades...

Comment

• Re: So What about the Bear?

Shoot man, the AToBDoR has gotta be a fassinating story, can this history be told?

Pretty Pleeze With P3 Blades On Top?

AToBDoR = Attempted Takeover of Benevolant Dictator (ship) of RareBearLand = who, how & why?
                      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                        Interesting, since he designed his own racer with a similar 3 blade setup as the Bear except using L-188 blades...
                        But not the same.............................

Comment

There's no doubt the 3 blade has a awesome cool, sight and sound factor.

But the CBDoR, the man with three brains, says the 4 blade is faster. And he only cares about one thing, winning races.
                          Ah, The problem is that the CBDoR is not a true BDoR that would be Rod Lewis, Crews sometimes lose sight that the guy that owns the toy is the one that really makes the decisions.

ALSO this is fact as told by Lyle, The Rare Bear was faster straight and level with the 3 Blade, BUT Once on the course it was not faster.

The input into the rudder pedals didn't bother Lyle as much as it did the other driver, but once the other driver was the primary guy it was switched back. Also after the expense of building and testing the 3 blade we could not afford to overhaul the 4 Blade. So when Dwelle needed a four blade for a year we loaned it to him provided it came back yellow tagged and ready to use. then back to the four blade.
                          John
                          John Slack

Comment

ALSO this is fact as told by Lyle, The Rare Bear was faster straight and level with the 3 Blade, BUT Once on the course it was not faster.
                            John
                            Then there you go. You don't win Reno by going straight level.

Comment

Does "Gyroscopic efffects" mean that the prop wants to roll the plane on it's long axis or that the plane wants to go straight or turn on it's own rather than do what the pilot wants it to do?

When sitting in the cockpit, which way is the prop turning? And what direction does the plane want to track in? Does it want to turn left, turn right, roll left, roll right...?

And what is an example of "Harmonics?"

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                              Harmonics and Gyroscopic effect of the 3 Blade made for rather unpleasant flight characteristics.
                              That being said if sheer coolness counted for anything it would still be on the plane..................
                              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 07-18-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

From John Penney Speed Channel interview thread back in Oct 2004:

"The four blade prop is a lot more pilot friendly; a lot less vibration activity into the airframe and no gyroscopic forces to battle in the pylon turns. Since we didn't get a chance to do the comparative flight testing between the two before Reno, the jury's still out on whether we picked up any speed. Short answer: we still don't know if we're faster with the four blade."
                                Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                                X