So What about the Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So What about the Bear?

Unlikely, but certainly possible with the right conditions.

All you need is slightly more liquid than the combustion chamber volume of one cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
      You mean it's not possible with the nature of the issue that washed down the cylinders.

It is entirely with the realm of possibility that a certain type of failure of the system could hydrolock a cylinder or two.
      Sorry, it's not in the realm of any realistic possibility.

And once again, "with the nature of the issue that washed down the cylinders" There was NO issue of any "washed down cylinders".
      Last edited by Dialtapper; 06-27-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

To Dialtapper. So with everything you have told us considering the issues presented concerning the Bear, what about the marful bearings that were washed in ADI. Wouldn't that induce as sparving to come loose? I know that tremors from the isolation of oil from rings can stagnate incoming fuel to the strata core. Just a question....
        Last edited by jetwaste; 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM.
        JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by jetwaste View Post
          To Dialtapper. So with everything you have told us considering the issues presented concerning the Bear, what about the marful bearings with a wash of ADI. Wouldn't that induce as sparving to come loose? I know that tremors from the isolation of oil from rings can stagnate in coming fuel to the strata core. Just a question....
          You funny boy Jetwaste!

I only wipe the oil off for a few Guinness's, but you actually turn the wrenches.

Since you have now decided to open Pandora's box with superfluous BS, only to be repeated as fact because it's on the internet, therefore it must be true, the floor is now all yours!

Excuse me but I see a 60wt drip calling for my attention!

Thanks for tagging me out

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post

Clarification; No truth to "(too much) volume of fluid basically hydro-blasted the oil film from the cylinder walls" That was not the case. Cold ADI hitting hot exhaust valve seats is not a good thing.

Hope that helps Chuck.
            So, was the engine being run at a high power setting with out the adi turned on, allowing the engine to overtemp, then the adi was turned on and cooked the valve seats?

Comment

Sorry, it's not in the realm of any realistic possibility.

And once again, "with the nature of the issue that washed down the cylinders" There was NO issue of any "washed down cylinders".
              Beautifully put. I am so freaking proud of you right now. I could just bust.

(If I had any idea what tellin' the truth was gonna' put you through, somwhow I would have appreciated it even more from the get-go!)

Chuck
              Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                Beautifully put. I am so freaking proud of you right now. I could just bust.

(If I had any idea what tellin' the truth was gonna' put you through, somwhow I would have appreciated it even more from the get-go!)

Chuck

Maybe just maybe the folks at RB cant/dont want to reveal what happened. I am quite happy to know that RB is being fixed and will be ready to fly come september. I am also quite happy that people from the RB camp have taken the time to give us a smidgen of inside info. I dont feel like I am entitled toknow all the intimate details and if they dont want to elaborate then that is their choice. Perhaps if you showed up at the Bear Cave with a dozen Guiness they would let you know, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                  Maybe just maybe the folks at RB cant/dont want to reveal what happened. I am quite happy to know that RB is being fixed and will be ready to fly come september. I am also quite happy that people from the RB camp have taken the time to give us a smidgen of inside info. I dont feel like I am entitled toknow all the intimate details and if they dont want to elaborate then that is their choice. Perhaps if you showed up at the Bear Cave with a dozen Guiness they would let you know, lol.
                  Bob, you're a Doorknob.

I just told you the truth. Maybe "You can't handle the truth!"

But deliver a dozen Guinness (Draught) to the Cave and all will be forgiven.

Comment

I'll take a shot here.....
                    Maybe there is some technical detail or race engine secret that needs to be protected.

But as a bit of a gear head, I just have a curiosity about engines and such. So it seems to me that the answer to a question of what broke or what's being fixed, doesn't have to be a reveal of a technical secret. But a general description based on "That didn't work", is a good shop floor discussion.

Good grief. A simple, "Sucked a valve", "Updating Valve springs", "Just dressing the Cylinders", "Decided to Regrind the Valve Seats", "Found a Cracked Piston", "Discovered a couple of Cracked Rings"..... is all I think most of us are curious about. Doesn't have to be gossip. Just interesting to some of us.

I know racing can be very secretive. But general mechanical curiosity and discussion doesn't have to be.

There is already such a relatively minimal amount of information about these historic machines mechanically. I gave up my Air Classics and Warbird subscriptions because I got tired of seeing pictures and serial numbers. I'd love to find a magazine with general info on the behind the paint of these aircraft, much like what is available for older cars and street rods. But in the absence of such publications, this is the place I look.

All too often, the bull%(#& or cryptic answers are so disappointing.

I send in occasional donations, as many do, to help with some of the team issues and to help support this site, to help me feel welcome.

But I'm getting more and more tired of this crap. This is, to me, not unlike graffiti painted on the side of a perfectly good building or bridge.

What a waste!!

Comment

Bob, you're a Doorknob.
                      I can be a boob to lol, I suppose a doorknob viewed at the proper angle could be seen as a boob also.....
                      I will bring some Guiness down to the cave this year.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                        I can be a boob to lol, I suppose a doorknob viewed at the proper angle could be seen as a boob also.....
                        I will bring some Guiness down to the cave this year.

Bob
                        Guinness forgives a multitude of sins!

Comment

Guinness forgiveness.
                          I think you've coined a new phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Jones View Post
                            I'll take a shot here.....
                            Maybe there is some technical detail or race engine secret that needs to be protected.

But as a bit of a gear head, I just have a curiosity about engines and such. So it seems to me that the answer to a question of what broke or what's being fixed, doesn't have to be a reveal of a technical secret. But a general description based on "That didn't work", is a good shop floor discussion.

Good grief. A simple, "Sucked a valve", "Updating Valve springs", "Just dressing the Cylinders", "Decided to Regrind the Valve Seats", "Found a Cracked Piston", "Discovered a couple of Cracked Rings"..... is all I think most of us are curious about. Doesn't have to be gossip. Just interesting to some of us.

I know racing can be very secretive. But general mechanical curiosity and discussion doesn't have to be.

There is already such a relatively minimal amount of information about these historic machines mechanically. I gave up my Air Classics and Warbird subscriptions because I got tired of seeing pictures and serial numbers. I'd love to find a magazine with general info on the behind the paint of these aircraft, much like what is available for older cars and street rods. But in the absence of such publications, this is the place I look.

All too often, the bull%(#& or cryptic answers are so disappointing.

I send in occasional donations, as many do, to help with some of the team issues and to help support this site, to help me feel welcome.

But I'm getting more and more tired of this crap. This is, to me, not unlike graffiti painted on the side of a perfectly good building or bridge.

What a waste!!
                            Well put!
                            "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

You guys are going to give me ulcers (and a few other people as well)... we've now had two, count em... two guys from the team login and tell you what they are at liberty to tell you, perhaps even more than some on the team would want out there....(don't speak for them so I don't know)

The long and short of it is, something happened to the motor, for whatever their reasons, the team does not want to disclose exactly what or how it went down....

I think we can all respect that and let it go...

By the way, I don't drink Guinness but am partial to anything made by Sierra Nevada, Fort George Brewery, Dechutes Brewery or... anything OP branded...

See ya in September!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Guess I'll be bringin' some Guinness by the cave too, seeing as how I seem to have accidentally kicked up a poo flingin' storm;
                                I don't see any honorable way around it.

P.S. Wayne: Sierra Nevada, Fort George Brewery, Dechutes Brewery or... anything OP branded...
                                -Duly noted Sir!

Now where did I put my Scotch?
                                Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Working...
                                X