Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So What about the Bear?

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
    You said " I'm hearing that somehow the ADI mapping got mismatched during high power testing, and the resultant (too much) volume of fluid basically hydro-blasted the oil film from the cylinder walls; during a condition where having said oil film able to do it's job well, was obviously crucial"

Clarification; No truth to "(too much) volume of fluid basically hydro-blasted the oil film from the cylinder walls" That was not the case. Cold ADI hitting hot exhaust valve seats is not a good thing.

Hope that helps Chuck.
    AAHHHHHHH!!! SHOCK COOLING!!! That helps big time Dialtapper!!!

Thank you Sir! Assuming I pass my FAA written, oral, and practical knowledge tests, I'm about to be a new A&P mech, so every single chance I get to learn from examples of engine deconstruction causes and effects, I can't help but grab on to them and soak up the details; So that at some point before I die, I can look back and say: "I worked my brain harder than the mechanics around me, to try to be good at diagnostics".

That said, now I'm curious whether poor Bear's E. valve seats just
    a)warped, b)warped and cracked, or c)warped, cracked, shattered, and took the valves, pistons and cyl. liners along for the wretched ride.......

All the best to you and yours,
    Chuck
    Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
      AAHHHHHHH!!! SHOCK COOLING!!! That helps big time Dialtapper!!!

Thank you Sir! Assuming I pass my FAA written, oral, and practical knowledge tests, I'm about to be a new A&P mech, so every single chance I get to learn from examples of engine deconstruction causes and effects, I can't help but grab on to them and soak up the details; So that at some point before I die, I can look back and say: "I worked my brain harder than the mechanics around me, to try to be good at diagnostics".

That said, now I'm curious whether poor Bear's E. valve seats just
      a)warped, b)warped and cracked, or c)warped, cracked, shattered, and took the valves, pistons and cyl. liners along for the wretched ride.......

All the best to you and yours,
      Chuck
      A. The seats have to be reground, if possible, if not replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        So who was the operator on that flight?

Neal
        That's above my pay grade.

All I know is I wipe the oil off the belly, and if I do a good job they give me a beer.

Comment

A. The seats have to be reground, if possible, if not replaced.
          And there we have it folks, the specific damage is minimal, 'just requires massive amounts of skilled labor to get at it, and get it all put back together dead perfect again.

Thanks again DialTapper!
          Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

That's above my pay grade.

All I know is I wipe the oil off the belly, and if I do a good job they give me a beer.
            Dood...come on. You're admitting you're nothing more than a trained monkey.

Did you not learn anything from Ghostbusters? If someone asks you if you're a God...you say YES!

Comment

LOL

Comment

Confirmed- jugs still off for rework. Unidentified person has hopes for her to be ready. Me Too!

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                  And there we have it folks, the specific damage is minimal, 'just requires massive amounts of skilled labor to get at it, and get it all put back together dead perfect again.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    Dood...come on. You're admitting you're nothing more than a trained monkey.

Did you not learn anything from Ghostbusters? If someone asks you if you're a God...you say YES!
                    Dude, that's me, Trained Monkey! Although many would question the trained part.

I wipe off the oil, and instead of a banana they give me a Guinness.

Got to love big time Air Racing.

Comment

Good thing the super high volume of ADI didn't hydrolock it.

Was there any galling in the bores or aluminum transfer from piston to cylinder?

I hope it only wiped out the rings.

Comment

None of the above

Comment

[QUOTE=Dialtapper;102605]I wipe off the oil, and instead of a banana they give me a Guinness.
                          QUOTE]

Oh, well...since you put it THAT way....."Deputy Spade might turn out to be a groovy position."
                          Last edited by Big_Jim; 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                            Good thing the super high volume of ADI didn't hydrolock it.
                            Not possible.

Comment

You mean it's not possible with the nature of the issue that washed down the cylinders.

It is entirely with the realm of possibility that a certain type of failure of the system could hydrolock a cylinder or two.

Comment

Methinks you would have to drive it into a lake for that to happen. )
                                I have a hard time imagining an ADI system capable of carrying THAT much fluid.

GP
                                Last edited by gp70442; 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X