X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new Wingman quiz...

Comment

Was it only like this at this race, Brad?
      (I remember when he first got it and I really liked the odd paint scheme, right from Profile Publications.)

Comment

Originally posted by stuntflyr View Post
        Was it only like this at this race, Brad?
        (I remember when he first got it and I really liked the odd paint scheme, right from Profile Publications.)
        He got it from Scott Smith, and I believe it was already painted this way. I remember seeing it this way for most of the time this owner had it, though he repainted it in 1986 or so shortly before he was lost.

But he and the plane only appeared at one event that is relevant to Neal's quiz, so...I guess the answer to your question would be 'yes' it was only like that at that race.

Comment

OK Chris, or Brad, or Bucky...

Go for it! It's getting to be time for another.

Neal

Comment

OK. Homestead, Florida, 1979, Bill Clark

Comment

Originally posted by MRE View Post
              OK. Homestead, Florida, 1979, Bill Clark
              Bill Clark sadly killed in this airplane when he flew inadvertently into a thunderstorm and crashed on the way to TICO '88.

I believe this is now Tony Banta's restored Mustang.

Comment

N34FF for Flaherty Factors. Infamous sports car racer Jack Flaherty recovered this and other Mustangs from El Salvador. Dan Martin flew this airplane back to the US. Talk about a cross country !

Comment

Miami/Homestead was a really fun event. Up front were the big dogs -- Hinton, Crocker, Whittington -- but the Whittington Brothers offered enough prize money to bring out all sorts of airplanes that we on the Left Coast never got to see. There were two entries from Canada, and at least one from Texas, so the event was truly international. We had a P-63, P-38, a couple Corsairs, a Bearcat, and an airshow featuring a B-17, B-29, and JU-52.

But best of all, we had Mustangs...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                    Miami/Homestead was a really fun event. Up front were the big dogs -- Hinton, Crocker, Whittington -- but the Whittington Brothers offered enough prize money to bring out all sorts of airplanes that we on the Left Coast never got to see. There were two entries from Canada, and at least one from Texas, so the event was truly international. We had a P-63, P-38, a couple Corsairs, a Bearcat, and an airshow featuring a B-17, B-29, and JU-52.

But best of all, we had Mustangs...
                    Given the $150K prize pot...which dwarfed what was being offered at Reno at that time, I was always curious as to why the Brothers did not continue to host this race beyond 1979. It was a great way to 'funnel' money, and just like the 'cash deposits from the gate' trick they used at Road Atlanta, I would have thought it be perfect.

But who knows. Would have been a nice east coast twin for Reno.

Comment

A new one, for Taz historians...

by Birgitta.

Last edited by wingman; 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM.

Comment

That would have to be real early in the dwelle family era, im picking 1990/91 as she still has the original canopy and windscreen
                        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

[QUOTE=wingman;102786]Miami/Homestead was a really fun event. ............................

There were two entries from Canada, and at least one from Texas, so the event was truly international..............................QUOTE]

Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

So somebody actually did get it...

Comment

Neal, I think we need some more 'diversity' from the Miami Homestead race.

Comment

So not a lot of interest in Taz history, eh??

Here's another Mustang from Miami...

Comment

Working...
                                X