• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A new Wingman quiz...

I would guess 2000 but my second guess would be 2002

Jarrod

Comment

Wonderful shot Neat & Birgitta. I can caption it with so many thoughts, especially of what's likely going through Kerch's mind, but moreover the image speaks volumes about the care he puts into each aircraft he crews on. One that comes to mind is "Everything that was done and is on the airplane is there for a reason".

What an honor it's been to work with him on several crews and make so many memories. Hope I get to race with him again.

Michael

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Thanks Sledge -- I learned something here, which is one reason I post these things...

Here's a somewhat more recent shot, by Birgitta. There may well not be enough clues here but you all do sometimes surprise me so we'll give it a try. Plus, I think it's a really great photograph.

So -- what year??

Neal

Comment

It was before the Gold Race in 2000. Good guessing (and deducing) to all.

And thank you Michael. Kerch is truly one of my Air Racing heroes -- and I don't really have a lot of heroes. It's been an honor to have known him for these last 30 plus years! I sincerely do hope you get another chance to crew for this remarkable man.

And Thanks to Wayne too, for digging up that great old interview and reposting it.

And, I remain a huge fan of Birgitta's photography. She captures the human side of Air Racing as well as anybody ever has in the history of our sport...

Neal

Comment

This one is a bit older, and shot from a spot I wish I could have gotten to more often! Love this angle.

Interesting variation of the classic red nose theme. Is the paint scheme authentic?

So give us year, pilot, aircraft name. Bonus points for where this was shot from...

And yes, I removed the Race number in Photoshop for this quiz.

Neal

Comment

VF+S Sunny VIII. Jimmie McMillan. Authentic paint,4th fighter group. I think around 86. If I remember right it flew with an H prop. Aircraft was lost years later with different owner/pilot.

Comment

Boy, that was fast. Maybe I'm making these too easy? And the photo was done from Pylon 3. This was a great spot late in the day -- great light. The usual racing line put aircraft rather wide and high around pylon 2, but relatively lower at 3 as they set up to skim low over the ridge setting up for 4.

Comment

A couple more of Race 5 in 1986. A really nice airplane, and in good company.

Neal

Comment

Hey, I like easy! Nice shots as usual Neil, I really like the shot of the pits. Look at all those aero props. Still didn't know where it was taken.

Comment

Thanks, and the next one will be harder...

Neal

Comment

OK, Here's another. Not quite as easy, I think. Brad and Bucky excluded, as they will know the answer for different reasons.

Give us the Race number, owner/pilot, and years of competition (with results) for this rather unattractively painted (though authentic, I guess) Mustang...

Neal

Comment

Easy.

Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                          OK, Here's another. Not quite as easy, I think. Brad and Bucky excluded, as they will know the answer for different reasons.

Give us the Race number, owner/pilot, and years of competition (with results) for this rather unattractively painted (though authentic, I guess) Mustang...

Neal

Hmmm....I know the who/what/where....but I'm pondering the difference in markings...one maybe the top one during racing on Sunday and the bottom one during qualifying???

Comment

Alright "Unka Jim",
                            What are the "markings" in question ?
                            ( I tried to find the differences between the pics, but my tiny mind/old eyes don't help me here.)

Thanks,
                            Mayday51
                            Jim Gallagher

Comment

I think I know the guy who flew this airplane back to the US from El Salvador. FAS 409

Comment

Originally posted by mayday51 View Post
                                Alright "Unka Jim",
                                What are the "markings" in question ?
                                ( I tried to find the differences between the pics, but my tiny mind/old eyes don't help me here.)

Thanks,
                                The 'triangle-S' on the tail in the bottom photo is covered by the race number in the top photo. I know you can't see what the race number is because of the angle of the horizontal, but "I" know it's there and you can see a difference. The race number was a white square with red race number.

Comment

Working...
                                X