Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B-25 engine run. Hear those engines roar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-25 engine run. Hear those engines roar!

Slightly off topic, but... how can you resist those beautiful engines?

Another Warbird could be flying again soon. Kermit Weeks and his crew at Fantasy Of Flight have started doing engine tests on their B-25, Apache Princess, with the hope of having it back in the air soon. Check out this awesome HD video on the engine run. Lots of smoke and noise... boy do I love the sound of those engines. SWEET!

Last edited by KippersUK; 06-13-2012, 04:44 PM. Reason: error in link

Re: B-25 engine run. Hear those engines roar!

That's good stuff. The crew at FoF has been busy. Hope they keep the pace up and get the P-35 going. Would also like to see the Hellcat and P-38get some love.
    Tommy

Comment

Great sounds indeed. I saw a Connie in the background. Any chance that will ever make it to Reno? Beautiful aircraft.

Comment

I have always been amazed at the different intake and exhaust configurations for the B-25, and they don't seem to have much rhyme or reason related to the version of the airframe. There are the low-profile carb inlet scoops like 'Apache Princess' has, and then there are the boxier, taller ones like (for example) 'Yellow Rose' has- see:

I think I've read that this depends on the carburetor manufacturer, but I can't remember which carb allegedly went with which scoop style.

The exhaust can be made up of all stub-stacks like Apache Princess, or it can be about half stub-stacks and then a partial collector ring and single exhaust dump on the outboard of the nacelle for about half the jugs (the configuration that gives the most distinctive characteristic lopey B-25 sound, IMO). Again, 'Yellow Rose' has the opposite configuration of 'Apache Princess:'

I never have heard why a given A/C gets one exhaust configuration or the other.

Comment

Hopefully CAF Camarillo's B-25 within the next 5 years or so too!!!
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
            That's good stuff. The crew at FoF has been busy. Hope they keep the pace up and get the P-35 going. Would also like to see the Hellcat and P-38get some love.
            Tommy
            Heard they are stepping it up a notch on their restorations and acquisitions. The P-35, an ongoing project for several years, is still a few away from being in off the assembly line flying condition. The P-38 was moved to their new storage display facility, Golden Hill, where the Hellcat is also stored. Doesn't look like they will be tackled anytime soon. A lot of WWI planes have been added recently, including a couple of reproductions from Peter Jackson. And of course there's the plan to get the B-25 back in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by KippersUK View Post
              A lot of WWI planes have been added recently, including a couple of reproductions from Peter Jackson. And of course there's the plan to get the B-25 back in the air.

http://youtu.be/uC9z5QzOwuI

The WWI Albatross is amazing.. all of the airplanes coming out of The Vintage Aviator here in NZ are simply stunning, they have taken reproduction of old airplanes to another level. I had a good chance to look over their new Fokker DVIII at Warbirds over Wanaka. They also have just flown a Sopwith Snipe reproduction.
              if you havent seen their website, check it out here http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/ and make sure you have a look at the videos of them running the motors, simply amazing
              race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                The WWI Albatross is amazing.. all of the airplanes coming out of The Vintage Aviator here in NZ are simply stunning, they have taken reproduction of old airplanes to another level. I had a good chance to look over their new Fokker DVIII at Warbirds over Wanaka. They also have just flown a Sopwith Snipe reproduction.
                if you havent seen their website, check it out here http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/ and make sure you have a look at the videos of them running the motors, simply amazing
                Thanks kiwiracefan. Checked out the Vintage Aviator site. Awesome. Loved the photos and videos. Hoping they fly the Albatross at Fantasy of Flight soon. Their Facebook page said it was out the other day, but they didn't post any video.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
                  The WWI Albatross is amazing.. all of the airplanes coming out of The Vintage Aviator here in NZ are simply stunning
                  Finally saw this video on the Albatros D Va first flight in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_E_Richards View Post
                    Great sounds indeed. I saw a Connie in the background. Any chance that will ever make it to Reno? Beautiful aircraft.
                    I'm pretty sure that Connie is one of the four that Maurice Roundy owned at one time. From what I remember it was flown to FofF from somewhere else in Florida. IIRC it was on loan to FofF, but may have been purchased by Kermit eventually. I don't think there are any plans to return it to flight.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X