How does someone get on a crew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does someone get on a crew?

I'm interested in crewing at Reno this year. How does someone get on with a team?

Re: How does someone get on a crew?

The only advise I can give is "careful what you wish for" Ha Ha

Scott
    Rare Bear Crew

Comment

Well...there's this guy dressed in red with horns and a flaming pitchfork.

He has you sign this little contract, and then you have the privilege of putting in hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of thankless, frustrating work and dealing with competing egos, only to show up at the race and spending so many more hours of thankless and frustrating work that you don't even get to SEE the races themselves. To top it off you have every swingin' Richard who has stopped by the shop/hangar once or twice over the last 12 months suddenly showing up and demanding a pit pass because they're 'part of the crew'...as you're ass-deep in fixing something that broke on the last run.

And that's the GOOD part of the deal. :-)

Like Scott said...be careful what you wish for, because once you're on the inside and you see what it's really like, the rose colored glasses come off in a real hurry.

But it's still really cool!

The way you get on is you go knock on a door, introduce yourself, offer to help, and no matter how trivial, trite, or demeaning you think the 'job' they ask you to do is, you do it with a smile on your face....because most likely if you don't do it, someone else will have to. Put in your hours, show that you're willing to go the extra mile during the off-season, and earn everyone's trust. One way or another, it's the volunteers that always enable you to go racin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sailing South View Post
        The only advise I can give is "careful what you wish for" Ha Ha

Scott
        Rare Bear Crew
        Boy, ain't that the truth! Trust me, you'll need a vacation from your "vacation".

SA

Comment

[QUOTE=Big_Jim;101910]Well...there's this guy dressed in red with horns and a flaming pitchfork.

Must be a different recruiter for the crews... I saw this awesome movie a couple years ago and the guy signing up pilots was in a red Corvette and kinda looked like Rob Lowe

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
            Well...there's this guy dressed in red with horns and a flaming pitchfork.
            Must be a different recruiter for the crews... I saw this awesome movie a couple years ago and the guy signing up pilots was in a red Corvette and kinda looked like Rob Lowe
            Red Corvettes have horns too. Hmmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by holmes540 View Post
              I'm interested in crewing at Reno this year. How does someone get on with a team?
              Be afraid, be very afraid.

Comment

Red Corvettes have horns too. Hmmmm...
                Yep.
                But I've never driven mine into a ditch at 10 mph...
                Last edited by Leo; 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I have to admit I have been reading the threads for a few years, but this topic I had to respond to.

I asked that same question back in January to Thom Richard, pilot of Precious Metal. I knew I would be in for some good hard work,, but about once a month I drive about 120 miles from Tarpon Spring to Kissimmee to work on whatever needs to be done around the hangar. Work days are at least eight hours and the last one was close to 13 hours. I just don't work around Precious Metal, I also have a hand in working on a few Iskra jets. I always work with a great group of guys and the experience I gain...I just can't really measure. Not to many fans of air racing can say they have hand their hands in a Rolls Royce Griffon engine. I knew that talking to some of the crews in years past, that this would not be glory job at all. I am not in it for any glory, I am in it for the love of the sport and the great people that are in it.

Comment

What in the hell do you want to do that for------- scrubbing hemorrhoids with a stainless steel toothbrush dipped in acetone can be more appealing.......

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow View Post
                      What in the hell do you want to do that for------- scrubbing hemorrhoids with a stainless steel toothbrush dipped in acetone can be more appealing.......
                      Gawd, if only it was that simple to scratch the itch that makes me wanna volunteer, I'd scrub those babies in a heartbeat, MEK, lacquer thinner, it wouldn't even matter.....
                      Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Now that's funny!

Very true, but funny!

Comment

Oh, what the hell would you know about it? S--t disturber!

SA

Comment

Working...
                          X