A big year for the races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big year for the races?

I took notice of another thread asking if the races will go on this year.

Anyone want to wager that this might be a big attendance year for Stead?

We all suffered a horrible tragedy last year, some of the fans and participants suffering far worse than others.

But it was televised widely and got the average, non-aviation-minded person thinking of the air races in Nevada.

It's a terrible way of achieving recognition, but what happened, happened, and nothing short of God's will can ever change that. I can only hope that some folks who saw the news will become interesting in attending. Could there be a faint, barely-visible silver lining in this oh so dark cloud?

Of course that means along with real potential fans we will get the ghouls who come to any kind of motor-racing hoping to see a crash, but in truth I think a big portion of the NASCAR crowd fit into that category (or at least once did...), and contributed to the vast growth it experienced in the 70's and 80's. Eventually they would grow bored and stop coming once they learn that bad crashes at Stead are normally a rare thing, while those who discover how exciting pylon air racing can be will become new regulars,

What happened last September was not the way we would want to catch the public's eye, but the races have been noticed now, and we can only pray it has a positive effect in the long term. The whole event feels like a new beginning this year to me, and maybe it will be for RAR too.

...Fingers crossed.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM.

Re: A big year for the races?

I wouldn't miss the Reno Air Races for anything. This year it's going to be a close call if I get to attend, my last semester of school ends that same week I've been going to the races for 10 plus years, it's one of my favorite places to go. Where can you go to see WWII aircraft race that close to the ground? No where but Stead airport!!

Comment

Remember, always keep your glass half full. They would not be running PRS without the pilots ready themselves for the event.
      Look at the attendance at the Indy 500, and the outpouring for Dan Wheldon this year!
      People love to see men go fast, in this case 50 feet off the ground and over 500 MPH !

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
        <--snip-->Anyone want to wager that this might be a big attendance year for Stead?

We all suffered a horrible tragedy last year, some of the fans and participants suffering far worse than others. But it was televised widely and got the average, non-aviation-minded person thinking of the air races in Nevada.
        As much as I hate to accept it, you're right, and BinS ratio... (butts/in seats) this year may well be chart setting...

Mae West used to say "the only bad publicity is no publicity" You younger folks "google it"...

Remembering all those we lost and praying for a new beginning for the World's Fastest MotorSport!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Good viewpoint Airdogge.
          The ghouls won't stay long and there may be some that get hooked.

Hard to explain why I go every year, for most of us it's a personal thing.
          Every year I end it with "why do I do this to myself?". The cost, the discomfort, the strain on family and profession.
          But soon after, the bug catches and I cannot wait to spend every possible moment there, not wanting to miss ANYTHING. This past year was hard and I have kind of waffled on whether I wanted to go all-out anymore. Then the Bear flew over a couple weeks back and the change was dramatic. Add these posts and the possibility of a really great race week, lots of racers and flying, and the anticipation is back strong as ever. It makes little sense unless you have been bitten.
          A couple of my usual compadres will be absent this year, but I have several co-workers that had never really heard of it (how I don't know as my cube is covered with it) and are planning on joining me at various times. A net win for attendance.
          I just hope and pray for a safe year with great competition!
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It's an ADDICTION Leo.

I feel for you, man. I have the same disease.

Not curable. Only treatment available for this addiction is the group meeting in September, with a pre-meeting for the hardcore addicts in June.

Explain this to your family, friends and employers. In this context, they may start to understand your problem.

You need help with this. Smaller group sessions are available throughout the civilized world. They are usually advertised as Airshows, but are not as intense or as thorough a treatment as the Reno meeting. Watching youtube reruns only helps a little - even the ones in HD with good sound can only do so much.

I offer you my six step program.

Step 1 - admit your addiction. stop the denial. embrace it.

Step 2 - confide in your family, friends and employer. they'll understand that you need help with this.

Step 3 - schedule your life so you can make it to at least the big group session in September in Reno. don't let life's other 'priorities' get in the way of your mental health.

Step 4 - make reservations, and pay Dr. Rara his annual fees.

Step 5 - attend and participate. talk about your addiction with those you know and strangers you meet there. Lots of willing ears, lots of support and compassion, lots of common experiences to talk about. It helps.

Step 6 - remember this is treatment -- there is no cure -- and you have to keep going to the meetings at least once a year to help yourself and help others like yourself.

Together we can deal with this problem. I know there are so many of you that are hurting this time of year. I hope this helps.

see you in September.

Dr Pete

Comment

My name is Leo, and I am an Airacaholic.
              Oh, they are aware. I am kind of like the creepy uncle that you avoid giving a beer or bringing up certain subjects. "Don't mention airplanes or he'll NEVER shut up".
              My wife enables me, moving out of the way when something cool fly's over (this is probably more self preservation than anything) and taking the steering wheel when we pass an airport.
              Most of my friends know instinctively when I have stopped listening or talking and started watching something in the distance and take it in stride.
              The office? Well they put up with it...

Sorry I dragged off topic.
              On topic, I feel this may be one of the great years that we will talk fondly of for many to come.
              Attached Files
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Life is Good...

Today, the mail person delivered a packet from the doctor. There's multiple days worth of Dr. Appointment 'slips', a handful of 'hall passes' (I guess in case we need to stretch our legs), and a few colored half-sheets to hang on the mirror.

Thanks Betty

Life IS Good !!!

OH... during a (job related) meeting this morning, received a call from my wife. ( What does she want THIS time ;D ) Informed her I was busy but was cut off mid sentence. She let me know the N9M was headed my direction! Quickly excused myself from the meeting, went outside, and there it was overhead. Great having a like minded 'support group'.

Bob
                Last edited by Tibia; 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

...and your co-workers don't believe you are obsessed...not at all.

Please disregard the fact my 5,000 photo screensaver file consists of 4,752 Reno photos and a couple shots from the Chino warbird show.

As regards turnout for this year, I'll call no change from previous years. For every person who will be attracted by all the publicity, another will stay away because of it. In corresponding with folks after the tragedy, there was a common theme of "I'm not sure if I can go again."
                  No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                  http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by ignomini View Post
                    ...and your co-workers don't believe you are obsessed...not at all.

Please disregard the fact my 5,000 photo screensaver file consists of 4,752 Reno photos and a couple shots from the Chino warbird show.

As regards turnout for this year, I'll call no change from previous years. For every person who will be attracted by all the publicity, another will stay away because of it. In corresponding with folks after the tragedy, there was a common theme of "I'm not sure if I can go again."

Well, right after the tragedy people were still upset and in a state of shock. Now that nearly a year has passed things have settled a little, including rattled nerves.

Still, now you have me wondering. How many of last year's visitors will not be coming this year?

I think new visitors who attend RAR sporadically, or who made their first visit last year may be spooked and decide to stay away (or may not), but I think fans who have attended at least 2 years in a row or more, those who truly enjoy the event, will return again.
                    Last edited by AirDOGGe; 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Leo, I'm guessing you play the sounds of Reno CD on your player there, or at least should.

Tibia, What a great wife you have giving you intel like that.

See you all in September. I can't make PRS.

Any info and pictures will be greatly appreciated and viewed often.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

A most excellent thread. Of course, after the terrible 9/11 year, attendance soared. People like me realized that the races could dissappear at any time and they better hit as many as they could.
                        I have made every one since 9/11...I dont want any regrets. I keep telling others, "You had better see the fastest motorsport in the world NOW as it could disappear overnight....". Way back when I was thinking about land owners getting court injunctions...then came 2007....

But of course the real question is, "What will the town folk do?"
                        Maybe we should have an adoption program where each of us real fans adopts a townie and pays half their ticket????

Comment

OK...how F'in lucky can a guy get? First, the ex-wife's birthday is smack in the middle of Race Week...thus, she's an EX!!!! Bu-bye!!

Now, the love of my life's birthday is smack in the middle of PRS and the daughter lives in Tahoe! SWEET!

So, needless to say, I'm at Stead for the a couple days in June then head up the hill for the weekend in Tahoe and celebrate the wife's B-day! Been doing that almost every years since we met.

BTW...the beach hammock scene is from looong honeymoon in Bora Bora. Paradise realized.

As a famous man once said, "God Help Me, I do love it so!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Air Boss; 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

My wife's bday is the 19th, which was Sunday a couple years back. She said "let's just trade birthdays this year". She's enabling my addiction, and I'm good with that.

Comment

Working...
                            X