OT: Soplata Airplane Sanctuary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Soplata Airplane Sanctuary

He has been mentioned a couple of times here in the past. Thought I'd share. Nice to know his story.

Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: OT: Soplata Airplane Sanctuary

Wow... that's pretty amazing.. here's a link to virtual earth with better pix...

Quite the treasure there.. wonder what the actual dollar value would be of all that "stuff"??

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wasn't there an air racer that "bused" their racer home after a mishap? Bought an old school bus, cut off the top, loaded in the fuse and wings?
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
        Wasn't there an air racer that "bused" their racer home after a mishap? Bought an old school bus, cut off the top, loaded in the fuse and wings?
        I think Yancy did that with Perestroika or.. the corsair but more likely, the Yak...

Wingman???

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Cool Story.. thanks for posting that.. Im sure he has his share of visitors over the years.. and some with suitcases full of $$.

Jeff E

Comment

that was great! I ran out and got a copy!

Originally posted by W J Pearce
            He has been mentioned a couple of times here in the past. Thought I'd share. Nice to know his story.

http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/20...er/soplata.php

THANKS!

Comment

Yes it was Yancy, after he blew an engine at Phoenix. Hired a guy that had an old school bus. Took the wings off, slid it inside blacked out the windows. And drove it back to Oregon. Didn't have to stop at any of the weight stations.

Comment

Interesting story.. thanks for sharing.
                Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by cfurylvr
                  Yes it was Yancy, after he blew an engine at Phoenix. Hired a guy that had an old school bus. Took the wings off, slid it inside blacked out the windows. And drove it back to Oregon. Didn't have to stop at any of the weight stations.
                  Urban legend,but like all urban legends,based in truth.Kansas City and he got a bit nervous when the old guy with the bus explained how he could fit it all in the bus and on his trailer and still have room for his jeep in case the bus broke down.Was one of those old marine busses that was used for an ambulance and the whole back end was a door.

Comment

I can't keep track of "who's who" with the nicknames here but I do know, one of the really REALLY close principals is here from time to time...

Mebbie he's already chimed in, I'll have to dig through my membership aliases and PM's to be sure...

I think this one's a true story though, to be sure..

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Awsome story! Thanks for posting it.
                      Tony

Comment

There has to be enough parts to build a nice race plane there. I saw the tail feathers of a P51, the skyraider sticks out like a sore thumb. I bet there are at least a couple of R4360s, and R3350s. There might even be a raceable Griffon stuffed in there somewhere. To the right people, that place is a gold mine. I'd just like to stroll through and see what there is.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR
                          that place is a gold mine. I'd just like to stroll through and see what there is
                          This is truly the "P-51 in a barn" dream that is almost mythical....

I had not really heard much about this phenomenon.. but that is really what it is! A guy who REALIZED what was happening with all the destruction of treasures going on and who, with his limited resources, dedicated his life to saving them!

One can only hope that what's there winds up in the right hands once he has to let go of it all!

My God.... it's hard to imagine what treasures lie there in that acre or so of midwest farm land!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I agree the place is a dreamland, but I thought story ended in a very strange way, when trying to describe the current status of the place and the family. Weirded me out. Too bad they don't allow visitors anymore.
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Isn't that where Cook Cleland's white Corsair ended up at with the 4360 in it?
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X