God Speed Elmer Ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Speed Elmer Ward

There is a thread called "Gulfhawk Bearcat" that originated a few years ago. There is recent addition to that thread announcing the passing of Elmer Ward, posted by his grandson Kelly.
    Elmer was the builder/owner of not only the Gulfhawk Bearcat, but of many, many others including Man-O-War. He was legend among warbird lovers around the world, and a gentleman extraordinaire.

I just felt that Elmer deserves his own thread so that those who knew him had a place to send their condolences and recall their memories of that fine man.
    I posted a testimonial in the Gulfhawk thread that I'll post here to, but I wanted to list Kelly's comments first.

God bless him and his family.

~Lance

The following is from his grandson, Kelly.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Today 9-20-07 Elmer Ward passed away in Chino CA. I am his grandson Kelly and I spent years at the airport as a kid tagging along with him and logging more hours in a P-51 than any other kid I've met.
    His amazing life ended peacefully with his wife at his side after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. His accomplishments in life were truly incredible and he will be deeply missed. For more information you can reach me at says_who74 at yah o o.

God Bless

Re: God Speed Elmer Ward

I was lucky enough to have Elmer take me up in Man-O-War on two occasions.
    I was at the Air races back in 1987, and couldn't help but overhearing Elmer and several others discussing P-51's over dinner. It's against my nature, but I screwed up my courage, walked over and introduced myself, and asked if it were possible to pay for a ride someday.
    Expecting a "get lost, we get that all the time" response, I was pleasantly surprised when everyone greeted me with an enthusiastic smile and said, "Sure, we'd love to have you come down!"
    Wow!
    Elmer gave his number and we were in business. I went back to my table and my buddy and I had a grin the rest of the week.

The following Spring, I went to Chino with my Dad. We had just lost my mother, so it was a trip we both really needed.
    My Dad was a B-29 navigator out of Guam during WW2, and he had pleanty of occasions to see P-51's in their combat environment, so it was a real thrill for him to see me go up in Man-O-War and talk to Elmer.

On our way back to Chino, Elmer was delighted to see some friends returning in their Stearmans. We flew past them and did a zoom climb like they were standing still, and he later enjoyed asking them about how they were able to fly backwards in those things.

I went again with a friend the following year, and after I proved that I didn't need the airsick bag during the first flight, he trusted me to hang in there with him during some serious aerobatics. About the only time we were straight and level was on the way home.
    I still remember buzzing a hillside on the way out to the lake, flying close enough to fly loose formation with our own shadow. That was absolutely unbelievable!
    I have that on video and watch it often.

Wonderful man, wonderful pilot, wonderful crew, and one of the best times of my life.
    It was an honor and a privelege to have met and flown with Elmer.

~Lance

Comment

So many memories the past few days, I'm so thankful to have met and befriended man. When I walked over to my coworker's desk for some consolation, right after I read the news I broke down and cried. One of the cool things Elmer used to do was formation take offs with Gary Meermans in his Corsair. The duo would be on their way to an airshow together out of Chino. If you were at the airport at that ungodly hour and saw that, (as I did on June 2, 1990) it was really an amazing sight. I could sit here all day speaking of such great memories. What a man!

John

Comment

One of my co-workers worked for Elmer and will be saddened by this news.

J.H. Please post the video!

Gary

Comment

I, too, remember Elmer Ward. Although I never met him I had heard of his name associated with the Man-O-War Mustang and then the Gulfhawk Bearcat. In the early nineties I was part of a PBY crew that flew to various air shows throughout California. One particular air show, Madera, we were taxiing out on the runway doing a back taxi as the PBY wing is fairly long and would drape over the crowd if on the taxiway. As we headed down the runway here comes the Gulfhawk dead ahead in our sights. It was an awesome sight as the Gulfhawk roared past us to our right and then Gary Mearmans in his Corsair flew over us with his propane powered machine guns blazing. Pretty great! I know the aviation community will miss Elmer Ward.
          Myles

Comment

Like so many other fortunate souls I to knew Elmer and was given a ride in Man-O-War. It was late 1987 and I was in California for a powerboat meeting. I worked for Evinrude Outboards and a mutual friend got us togther. After Elmer explained how to use the parachute, which by the way took at least 15 minutes and scarred the heck out of me, we took off and flew aerobatics for 50 minutes. What a wonderful experience, one I will never forget. Not only was I impressed by the airplane and how well it was flown but Elmer and Lois made me feel like an old friend, despite the fact we had just met. When we landed I was green and my voice was two octaves higher. To this day I am sorry I had to decline to go to lunch with them but I know it would never have stayed down.

I met him again at Oshkosh when he brought Gulfhawk IV. We had a nice conversation and the next day I heard of the accident.

Our prayers are with his family at this time of sadness.

Comment

Working...
            X