Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as a 3-seater P-38?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a 3-seater P-38?

I have been asked by an engine expert if I had ever heard of or seen a 3-seater P-38.
    I am asking the long time experts who lurk here to helpme find the answer. I have tried Bing, but got no answer. Slack? Speedy? Anyone know?
    Betty
    Last edited by ShermB; 08-12-2013, 06:06 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Is there such a thing as a 3-seater P-38?

There were two seat P-38s. There was the "piggy-back" versions with a position behind the pilot (like the night fighter version, the P-38M) and there was also a "pathfinder" version with a bombardier and bombsight in the nose.

If you combined the two options, there could have been three seats. But I can't recall ever hearing about that.

In later years, a few P-38s were used for survey work - maybe it was done then.
    Last edited by FlyKidChris; 08-12-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Was it done with this airplane?

If you read the description - did it have a seat in the survey nose while it also had a two seat cockpit?

This site tracks the history of all Lockheed P-38 Lightnings that survived military service.

Comment

Back in the 70's I was a flight instructor at Stockton Ca. There was a fellow there that had a Bearcat for awhile.........then I believe he sold it. He showed up one day with a P-38 with the raised piggy back jump seat. Only time I ever saw one other then pictures. If memory serves me correctly, then fellow I'm talking about was a school principal in Lodi CA. I believe he was also partners on these airplanes with a fellow warbird owner/pilot in half moon bay. I can't remember the names of either.
        Brian

Comment

Oh crap, do I remember reading an article in an old Challenge publication on this subjec?t... Wasn't there someone attempting somthing like a super fast "biz jet before biz jet" thing with a P-38????.... dang oldzheimers sucks!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The only one that comes close to a multi-person cockpit is the one that is now restored with the Yanks in Chino.

The one referenced with the 'raised' second cockpit was the old John Stokes P-38M. The second cockpit was actually the radar operators seat. That plane was featured in an episode of Blacksheep Squadron. Eventually went to the Champlin collection in Mesa where it was converted to P-38J configuration and is now at the Museum of Flight. The radar operator's seat went the the CAF who used it in the ill-fated Scatterbrain Kid II restoration that crashed on takeoff shortly after coming out of overhaul. I think the remains are stored at Breckenridge at Ezell's shop.

Comment

You guys are the best! I sent my friend a note and directed him here to the board. Hope he enters the conversation.
              See all of you in a few weeks on the ramp at Reno. Stop by the NAG Shack for a cookie.
              Betty

Comment

The owner of the Stockton P-38 was Cecil Harp, the Bearcat at Half Moon Bay was John Herlihy's.

Comment

Ya, Cecil Harp was the name. Seems like John Church was the name of the guy at Half Moon Bay that was his partner, but I could be wrong.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    The only one that comes close to a multi-person cockpit is the one that is now restored with the Yanks in Chino.

The one referenced with the 'raised' second cockpit was the old John Stokes P-38M. The second cockpit was actually the radar operators seat. That plane was featured in an episode of Blacksheep Squadron. Eventually went to the Champlin collection in Mesa where it was converted to P-38J configuration and is now at the Museum of Flight. The radar operator's seat went the the CAF who used it in the ill-fated Scatterbrain Kid II restoration that crashed on takeoff shortly after coming out of overhaul. I think the remains are stored at Breckenridge at Ezell's shop.
                    Scatterbrian Kid II was a 3 seater...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker Driver View Post
                      Scatterbrian Kid II was a 3 seater...
                      Very true.....some poor sap scrunched into the nose.

Comment

Got to climb up and sit in that M when it was owned/flown by a guy named Ennis, around 80-81. Was at Travis and Nut Tree at that time.
                        That Blacksheep episode was one of the best. Robert Culp as the egocentric air corps pilot trying to run up a tally, and failing. Kinda always reminded me of the McGuire story a little.
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Here is a another showing the cock pit:

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                            That's the original "Scatterbrain Kid" which was a single seater. "Scatterbrain Kid II" was the one fitted with the two seat P-38M cockpit from Champlin and also retained it's photo mapping nose, thus making it a (very ugly) three seater.

Comment

Working...
                            X