Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

I was watching it online and thought Rare Bear pulled up and out of the race on the far side of the course between laps 7 and 8. Why did Rare Bear pull out? Was it the overheating issues that I've been hearing about or something else?

Re: Why did Rare Bear pull out of Sundays Gold Race?

They had ADI problems as well.
    Sky Critter

Comment

Do Race Teams like Rare Bear, Strega... post their problems, or do they keep it private?

Was Rare Bear on lap 7.5 when he pulled out of the race?
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

He also cut pylon four.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          Do Race Teams like Rare Bear, Strega... post their problems, or do they keep it private?

Was Rare Bear on lap 7.5 when he pulled out of the race?
          Some teams are open, some are not. Precious Metal has shared a lot of info this year as well as the Sanders teams. Lewis keeps thing pretty quiet. Most of the info comes from those that have some direct connection to team members.
          Sky Critter

Comment

Rare Bear is one high maintenance bird. I couldn't help notice September Fury parked next to the bear sound asleep as the entire crew worked on #77 Saturday night. Funny where they placed in the race! You have to wonder how long this effort is going to last. What's the definition of insanity? They replaced the sensor and it looks although not confirmed, they did not solve the over heating problem. Could it have been a bad head gasket? Do you do a leak down test on every cylinder? Do other teams lend their brain power? The Bear unable to reach max. power for the last several years is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
              Rare Bear is one high maintenance bird. I couldn't help notice September Fury parked next to the bear sound asleep as the entire crew worked on #77 Saturday night. Funny where they placed in the race! You have to wonder how long this effort is going to last. What's the definition of insanity? They replaced the sensor and it looks although not confirmed, they did not solve the over heating problem. Could it have been a bad head gasket? Do you do a leak down test on every cylinder? Do other teams lend their brain power? The Bear unable to reach max. power for the last several years is getting old.
              Umm, Rare bear doesn't have headgaskets... The whole cylinder comes off the case. Its not water cooled in the traditional sense (Like a Merlin.) I think a lot of knowledge was lost when the bear changed hands and key team members either left or were let go. I don't know why Rare Bear has had the technical issues that it has, I agree it would be nice to see it get back into its winning ways. I don't think Sept Fury has the potential to go as fast as the bear, apparently the wing just doesn't like to go that fast. I'm told the Sea Fury wing is fast up till about 480 or so then it has trouble going faster. The wing on the bear will do a lot faster than 520, so that might be why they continue to try and uncover the mysteries of making the bear go fast reliably again.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                ... I'm told the Sea Fury wing is fast up till about 480 or so then it has trouble going faster. The wing on the bear will do a lot faster than 520, so that might be why they continue to try and uncover the mysteries of making the bear go fast reliably again.

Will
                Does somebody know if or how top teams are modyfing their airfoils (and I explicit guess not the skin)?

From what I understand a stock Sea Fury airfoil (as known laminar like P-51) is much thinner than Bearcat's and therefore should be theoretically visible faster than the thicker F8F airfoil?

Gibbs

Comment

It could be that RB has just found it's limit, and that limit just isn't as fast as planes like Strega, or the now non-racing Dago....

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Umm, Rare bear doesn't have headgaskets..
                    Well that's the problem than, duh! lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
                      Well that's the problem than, duh! lol!
                      Hahaha, imagine having to change 18 headgaskets Thanks, I'll pass. In some respects, air cooled radials are much more simple, but with lots more moving parts. I'm not sure if there is a gasket/seal between each cylinder and the case or not. To solve the cylinder head temp issues on an air cooled motor there aren't a lot of options, more air flow at the cost of frontal drag (smaller spinner) a spray bar that blows water backward over the motor (It might already have this, I'm not sure) or perhaps running a richer mixture with a possible loss of some power. There might be others, but they all have trade offs.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
                        It could be that RB has just found it's limit, and that limit just isn't as fast as planes like Strega, or the now non-racing Dago....
                        Isn't Rare Bear's limit 538 mph? The speed record it set decades ago? What they need is a hot stick who knows how to fly it fast and isn't afraid of it. See: Lyle and John Penney. Yes, those two are no longer available but where's the super-jock to replace them? Get the right stick in there and they'll all get motivated to make the RB king again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          Isn't Rare Bear's limit 538 mph? The speed record it set decades ago? What they need is a hot stick who knows how to fly it fast and isn't afraid of it. See: Lyle and John Penney. Yes, those two are no longer available but where's the super-jock to replace them? Get the right stick in there and they'll all get motivated to make the RB king again.
                          If Strega retirement is looming, Steveo might be looking for a ride....
                          sigpic
                          1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                          Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

WTF?????? Hot Stick?????? Affraid??????? You my friend are an ass.

Comment

You're barking way up the wrong tree with a comment like this, at least with respect to the reason why Rare Bear has not been going fast this last week. There's no magic that a stick actuator can accomplish to fix engine issues from the cockpit.

That being said...if anybody can fly it "faster", Skip Holm is your man.

Comment

Working...
                              X