An ethical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An ethical question

A couple of years back, I was trying to expand my consulting business into the area of air racer drag reduction. Having done years of research in the field, I had found numerous areas that air racers then (and still today) ignore that are ripe for large degrees of improvement.

I found a customer who was nearly perfect. He was near the top of his class, a highly capable race pilot, and did not plan on any other modifications to his aircraft. This made for a "stable" experimental environment; i.e. a pilot and aircraft that I could count on to produce repeatable results and solid data on modifications. He was not willing to pay a lot of money, but was able to provide many expensive test assets including a chase plane and pilots.

Starting with an initial theoretical drag reduction experiment, the results were encouraging, but did not reach the potential of the research (the infamous blue-foam experiment at PRS 2000). After discussion, extensive tuft testing of the aircraft at varying CL and Rn was conducted. The testing showed what were, and were not significant drag areas and how to fix these areas.

The fixes did not come from some wild guesses or obscure theories. They were instead the result of the largest aerospace companies in the world spending hundreds of millions of dollars researching exactly these issues; combined with a couple of insightfull individuals applying that knowledge to the specific parameters of air racing and creating the design rules for application of these theories to aircraft in the CL, Rn, and Mach ranges of air racing. The specific aircraft did not matter: the Reynolds numbers and lift coefficients for the theory and application of the drag reduction concepts applied to aircraft ranging from 250 mph Glassairs to 500 mph Mustangs.

What resulted was a set of very simple fairings applied to a Questair Venture that created a 5.6% drag reduction where a 5.3 to 6.1% reduction was predicted. To hit the drag reduction target so closely was a validation of the design theory and the drag reduction method that created it. The drag reduction was impossible to refute: the test aircraft had never posted a course speed over 297 mph, and now clocked consistant 309 to 311 with not even a piston ring change between years. Applying this to other air racers and kit aircraft seemed to be a forgone conclusion and a modest business could have followed. It was not to be.

First, I was involved with a marginal engine builder who oversold his product and himself. Tarnished by this, the owner of NuVenture loudly proclaimed to everyone who asked that my modifications were not of any value. (He used stronger language than that, but we need to respect decorum here) I have news for any doubters: most teams would kill for 12 to 14 mph; I did it with less than 5 lb of fiberglass.

Second, I did not care about aesthetics. A polished DNF is still a DNF. The ugliest winner still goes home with the trophy girl. The fairings I produced were a little rough, however the flanges and surface finish did not matter within the areas of the boundary layers we were operating in. I am a racer. I have raced motorcycles, karts, hydroplanes, and with this project, airplanes. For the first three, I was the driver. I have NEVER seen a pretty paint job or a coat of wax do anything but cause me to slide ignominiously off the bodywork. In the case of the Venture fairings, I specifically told the customer NOT to fillet the gaps and corners as this would cause an increase in pressure recovery with an attendant increase in drag.

Lo and behold, the next year the aircraft shows up with a fancy paint job and fillets in all the corners. The owner comes to me with a hang dog expression and asks what he can do to get back the 3 mph the fancy paint and bondo has cost him. With absolutely NO sypathy, I told him to rip the bondo out of the corners. Dismayed at the prospect of messing up a paint job that cost him double what he spent on my modifications, he refused. He did state that he was having a new Legacy built and would call me for drag reduction on that as well. Since I had proven that I knew what I was doing as far as drag reduction went in areas that no one else in the air racing world understood, I expected that I would be assured of the new business. The test aircraft was later sold to another racer who encountered an SIO (system induced osscilation) in wake turbulance and crashed. Every pilot in the class agrees that the modifications did not affect the aircraft with respect to the accident. However, the publicity could hardly be called positive.

Third strike. The owner took his Legacy kit to a bondo shop that does pro-building for owners who don't want to do it themselves. This is the dark side of the experimental "amateur-built" business. The owner then gave all of my research (he was provided with a report as part of the program) to the shop and PAID THEM to duplicate it. Tuft tests were performed copying my earlier work and fairings were made with a poor interpretation of my work. Three Legacys and one Glassair have now flown at Reno with modifications that came from an unethical (but not illegal) transfer of my intellectual property. Kits of these modifications are now on the market.

It is my own darned fault that I did not get a non-disclosure with my customer when we did the original work. It is small consolation that the person copying the work has done so in a sub-optimum fashion, resulting in only 50 to 70% of the drag reduction possible. However, this is enough that it is unlikely that anyone can compete since the additional gain from optimum modifications is only 2 to 3 mph.

My ethical question is this: I am more than a little furious at the theft and misuse of my intellectual property and of someone claiming credit for my work (albeit poorly interpreted). Worse than that is the loss to an unqualified competitor of what I believe should have been my business. Should I:
    a) Suffer in silence while someone else makes a living off of the modifications I brought to air racing?
    b) Publish an article in Kitplanes and/or AAFO explaining the technology, how to do it, and how the pretenders have not quite gotten it right?
    c) Attempt to compete with the deficit of being late to market and undercapitalized because my competition has been subsidized by a former customer?
    d) Something else? (suggestions please)

I apologize for the anger expressed here. However, I will never work for anyone again without non-disclosure in place and I acknowledge that this whole situation exists because I let some of my intellectual property go without properly protecting it.

Eric Ahlstrom

Re: An ethical question

Eric,

I well remember an evening in the hangar that went late with you working on the racer described and then seeing the improvements the next day(s). I remember the personality exhibitions, jeering, and skepticism displayed that year and later among fellow competitors and others as well.
    I was supportive and rooting for another team, to be sure, at the time but I recognized that your efforts were very significant. In those days many of the AAFO readers will remember that your insights were shared regularly on this message board. They stirred not a little debate with some of the old school hacks on board, but I was among many who looked forward to seeing your comments, suggestions, and ideas almost each new day.
    I told my two young sons, "Watch this guy...if he gets hooked up and funded with the right teams there's going to be some big things happen"

My employer at the time was exclusively using an engine that you were unahamedly critical of, and you were involved with another engine that was potentially far superior. Your postings here went into some detail as to the simple fundamentals of why that was so. I was anything but an engineer, experienced racer, or knowledgeable wrench on those matters so at the time I just shut up and listened. I guess I was critical of the comments when among my close peers at work. That was simply because, being very close to the project of my employer from the beginnings, I had observed first hand a relatively very smooth development curve and hundreds of hours of dependable operation. There were some to be expected changes made in the first few years (with the first ever aviation use of the engine) with a gearbox bearing size here, an oil line there, a tensioner here, or an auxiliary drive system there. There were also a few of the usual communication breakdowns that spelled a few problems. Some fairly significant changes were made, but none were the result of major fundamental design flaws. I remain loyal to that engine and its customers. It is one of those things where you would have had to been there I guess...
    Anyway, I say all of that to say that in that realm I wasn't 100% in your camp at the time, but I did understand your basic arguments and believed they were historically proven (let's see the Lincoln Zephyrs, the...) as correct and well founded. One didn't have to be a degreed engineer, or credentialed master mechanic to see the fundamental truths. So even here, despite my natural defenses (in light of the longevity of my own income, and the lives of friends flying behind that motor), I knew you probably had a better way. Besides, it would probably be several years before the first head to head battle of the two engines in question, in an Unlimited or Sport Class race or in sales of competing manufacturers. You'll get a kick out of this, but again I recall telling my two sons and some co-workers that this Eric guy may well be right on, let's hope not, but wait and see.

By the way, many of us sure looked forward to the Dart racer development as "the proof in the pudding" and that by now we'd be seeing the early testing. I haven't heard, has it been suspended?

So, in my limited perspective (mostly just a big race fan, with just a little behind the scenes involvement) I lend this advice: A mixture of your b) and c) actions seems appropriate. Then the d) alternative is to hope there is an ethical and properly funded race team, reading this likely to be long string of posts, that will jump in and hire your services. They will not be sorry.

Your anger is warranted. It helps explain your long silence many of us have noted on this board I had no idea about some of the outcomes you described but was not surprised when I thought about it awhile.

This sport needs you. Stay in there man. The Steve Wittmans, Mike Carrolls, Bill Falcks, John Sandbergs, Bruce Bolands, Dave Zeuschels, Jim Millers, and many others are now gone. Their willingness to try new things despite the many critics and many thieves, has about vanished as well. Our sport always will need more innovation from the types of folks that don't jump in anymore whether they be a Whittington, a Ralph Wise, a Chuck Lyford, a Ray Cote, a Cliff Cummins, a Gunther Balz, or a Pat Palmer.

I look forward to where we will see your hands on employment change the record books!

Comment

hello eric, welcome back to the board. before i start to ramble on, let me say it's good to have you back and it's a pleasure to read your posts again.

personally, i think you should publish an article on aafo or a magazine we all have easy access to for the shear enjoyment of us all, lol. it's always interesting to hear how someone has taken your ideas and screwed them up. also, i think you should try to compete, but instead of compete with a product that is the "same" as the one stolen from you, make the deal sweeter; i.e. tail fairings, wingtips. make the guys that bought the other guys stuff want yours.

your ever willing flunky
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Hi Eric,

Email me via the "contact us" link at the bottom of this page. We can set you back up as a registered member. I see your old AOL address is no longer valid so I can't send you a password reminder.

I'd like to discuss this with you in private if you are interested in pursuing it further.

Wayne
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jim Larsen did a bunch of mods to the Roto Finish P-51 many years ago. I do not believe he patented or copyrighted anything. However, the P-51 mods at that time were not being applied to many racers or any general aviation aircraft.
          However, in today's enviroment, any performance improvement would be much more sought after and commercially applied to general aviation aircraft, specifically the non-metal aircraft.
          Thus, you ought to get things patented/copyrighted ASAP. You ought not have any concern what others opinions are at this point.
          My 2 cents......as usual.
          Vlado

Comment

Eric -

You said it the best when you noted that the speed mods that have been "bootlegged" aren't quite right.

In my mind, that leaves you two options:

1 - Keep in business for yourself, go apply for patents (if you have a right to them, versus those big aerospace companies you were referencing), and find a customer to "do it right" for. Hope that the standard "no good deed goes unpunished" saying isn't true, and that your name gets associated with a product that is done right and not half-assed. In an ideal world, people would be able to see where the goods are, and you'd be back in business. Maybe you could even force the bootleggers of the technology to quit because of a patent or, better, pay you a licensing fee.

2 - Completely undermine the bootleggers, as well as hopefully re-establishing your name as an expert, via a "tell all" article explaining the technology, how it works, and how to do it right. You'll never make money off it anymore, but hopefully neither will the bootleggers. It won't be necessary to sling mud at the people who did you wrong, but subtle mentions of the facts leading to your decision to write the article might help your case.

Comment

Eric: From a legal perspective, copyright is the way to go. Patent is massive overkill for the market potential you're talking about. Patent suits cost literally millions of dollars , aside from the fact that the patent process is at minimum a five-figure project. My company has a patent pending, and it ain't cheap. I think you'll want to compete on reputation, service and results. Peas
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Eric,

I'd go with option b - a tell-all article.

To have someone else profit because of your work just isn't right. Don't let the guy rent any space in your head though... keep enjoyiing what you do and have fun doing it. Life is far too short to let this eat at you constantly. You seem to be needing some closure to this - and the best way to accomplish that asap is option b. Just MHO of course .

Best of luck with your decision
                Mark K....

Comment

Eric,

I agree with Cobra in that a "tell all" article would at least set the record straight. Keeping in mind that both you and I would have to be somewhat "careful" to avoid potential libel, I'd publish you here any day.

I was one who watched you work your ass off at PRS the week you designed and built the first "blue bomber" fairings, and I've watched you work tirelessly out on the ramp till late at night on other projects.

On another ethical question.. a former associate of yours had a great idea for a demonstration "air race". Before he would relate the details to me, I had to sign a "non disclosure" agreement.

It involved current aerobatic performers who were already low level waivered, quickly inflatable pylons that carried sponsor names in large easily readable letters and yadda yadda....

This was a few years ago that this all took place. When I saw the "Red Bull Air Race" thing advertised this year, I thought, cool... he did it!

Not true unfortunately. I asked your former associate about this and it turns out, he pitched the idea to Red Bull, they turned him down, then some time later, I guess we all know the outcome of this one don't we...

This sort of thing has gone on in big business and small business for eons and unless the injured party does something about it with an often long and costly legal battle. It just goes unpunished. There's a famous case where a Sears employee designed a tool and sold the idea to his employer. I'm not totally familiar with the details on the case but I do know that after a long legal battle, the designer was finally rewarded with a multi-million dollar settlement...

If he had not fought it, he'd not have gotten a dime.

On the other hand, as one who frequently has to listen to Cobra's sage advise about not "renting space in my head" to anyone... That is also an important thing to consider.

You either need to put this totaly behind you and not let it occupy your mental time, or fight it. That said, telling your story, carefully, keeping in mind your legal, as well as financial position, would probably help the process along.

I know you have some brillinant ideas on slicking up airplanes, I think others who have delt with you agree with that. You and I may not totally agree on how to get your name out there (as you'll probably remember some discussions you and I had over the years) but however you slice it, I think air racing would benefit from your ideas and I'd hate to see you continue your current path of not doing anything in that area.. (I am making an assumption Eric, as I've not seen you around much, bearing in mind, I was unable to attend this year)

Send me your email so we can get you signed up on the board again..

Wayne
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

PSAny good ideas on making my Mustang faster, while keeping it essentially stock? I gotta surprise my Mustang friends! On the QT, of course!! Thx.)
                    VL

Comment

Hello Eric,

I remember chatting with you late at night in a hangar a while back. I enjoyed that chat as well as you posts here at AAFO.

In my opinion (whatever that is worth), I would go for option BE and do an article. The thing is that there is only so much one can gain from black and white text. All the hacks will think that they can do it and they will try with variety degrees of success, but never 100%

Others will see that you are on to something and seek you out for assistance, because they want it done right. And you will do it right. The results will be better than they imagined and in turn, they will be more receptive to your other ideas. Others will witness then improvements and follow suit.

That's it. Shake off the old garbage. Do what you can and those who see your abilities through the article will seek you out.

Besides, you can't MAKE money via air racing. They have rules against that.

Bill Pearce
                      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                      Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                        Besides, you can't MAKE money via air racing. They have rules against that
                        Bill, you have, of course, hit the nail on the head!

Like Tiger once said to me, (went something like this anyway) "hell, if you want to make a small fortune air racing, all you need is to start out with a big fortune!"

Wayne
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          First, I was involved with a marginal engine builder who oversold his product and himself. Tarnished by this, the owner of NuVenture loudly proclaimed to everyone who asked that my modifications were not of any value. (He used stronger language than that, but we need to respect decorum here) I have news for any doubters: most teams would kill for 12 to 14 mph; I did it with less than 5 lb of fiberglass.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The test aircraft was later sold to another racer who encountered an SIO (system induced osscilation) in wake turbulance and crashed. Every pilot in the class agrees that the modifications did not affect the aircraft with respect to the accident. However, the publicity could hardly be called positive.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Third strike. Three Legacys and one Glassair have now flown at Reno with modifications that came from an unethical (but not illegal) transfer of my intellectual property. Kits of these modifications are now on the market.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My ethical question is this: I am more than a little furious at the theft and misuse of my intellectual property and of someone claiming credit for my work (albeit poorly interpreted). Worse than that is the loss to an unqualified competitor of what I believe should have been my business. Should I:
                          a) Suffer in silence while someone else makes a living off of the modifications I brought to air racing?
                          b) Publish an article in Kitplanes and/or AAFO explaining the technology, how to do it, and how the pretenders have not quite gotten it right?
                          c) Attempt to compete with the deficit of being late to market and undercapitalized because my competition has been subsidized by a former customer?
                          d) Something else? (suggestions please)

I apologize for the anger expressed here. However, I will never work for anyone again without non-disclosure in place and I acknowledge that this whole situation exists because I let some of my intellectual property go without properly protecting it.

Eric Ahlstrom
                          Hello Eric and the forum as a whole !

I recently heard that one painter has a painting which is a whole blue painted canvas; he patented the paint mixture which makes it unique.

I made an architectural competition in a group in 1986 for a city 40 km from Helsinki. We were second and the part of the design that I scetched won the competion realisation for the team.
                          Later in Germany 1996 I drew a competition for a townpart in Ulm and it got the shared first prize.
                          Typical for both competitions was that I never got really more than blisters on my hands ( ok I did get some consolidation ), but bottom line was that I did not get realisation works on either of the projects, but others did ( 1986 a friend in the group got to build several houses there and in 1996 the office did some later developements of the project ). That somehow pissed me off. So I know the A. is not a sweet way to act.

As for the several racer concepts I drew here I would be happy if someone got kicks outa them. I built one of the racers as a model, but being underpowered it did not get truly airborne ( yet ). ALbeit I am amazed that after 7 flight attempts the 1/12 scale model is still in tact as if she waits for the new engine and shows us later what she really can do.

Bottom line is that if you don't have fun doing your job it is not good. Remember the fighter ace Erich Hartmann who got prisoned in USSR; he said never get angry at someone because it just wears you down. That is how he survived after seeing insane cruelty ( rapes and killings ) as an inmate in Gulags.

Just keep going as nothing had happened.

later dudes,

Juke T

PS: I like the new avatars Cobra and Sagar brought in...gotta figure out what sorta animal I would be !
                          http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

If there's one thing in English that drives me nuts, it's when people pluralize individuals...."Your John Sandbergs, Zeuschels..." I thought those were single people.

John

Comment

I want to thank everyone for their input and the kind words. I have to say that I didn't expect to be missed. Since everyone asked, I will give a few updates:

1. I have been very busy, although much quieter about the projects I am working on. Some things haven't worked out, and other things are in process.

2. The backer of the Dart and I went separate ways based on mutual agreement. For anyone curious about the status of the project hit rennaisance-research.com. All references to my participation in the project have been removed from the site other than a link to AAFO. I have not has any contact with the backer for almost two years.

The primary developer of the engine that was planned to be used at the time I left the program is Bob Norwood. Among all of his racing projects, he also writes a monthly column in "Turbo" magazine. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Bob, and someday I hope to work with him again. He is a truly brilliant engine designer, builder, tuner and a hard-core racer to boot.

3. Based in no small part on the advice posted here, I will publish on the aforementioned subject. I will also compete in my own way and continue my business.

Thankyou,
                              Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Working...
                              X