Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

It is always fun watching new technology pushing the envelope, so I think it is about time Reno introduced an electric class.
    Initially they will be slow but I reckon within a few years they will be lapping at 400mph. In ten years they should beat the unlimiteds.
    I have been following the Isle of Man TT races for motorcycles and they now have an electric class. Each year they lap at a higher average speed by about 7mph.

Initially the class should be as free from rules (other than for safety) as possible but to keep the cost down it would be sensible to later have a second limited class with a limit on the mass of either the aircraft or battery.

Maybe using a Tesla car battery would be possible.
    (Tow your aircraft to the track, put the battery from your car in after re-charging , race and then after the races and a nights charging drive home).

In RC models electric is easily competitive with ic power over cars, boats and aircraft. At pikes peak the electric bikes beat the ic bikes and in the cars they came 5th.

Re: Isn't it about time Reno introduced an electric class

I don't know. They might make it on the Fi course OK but not any longer. The time would be slow. How about watching 1/4 scale planes race a smaller course? I watched them some time ago in the valley and it was exciting.

Boss

Comment

Why do you think these electric planes are going to be slow ? Currently 220mph is achievable and with a little development I cant see why they will not be over 400mph. It would be good to see them on the unlimited course so that each year we can see how the developments are improving. Probably two laps is all that is required to give a good show and not make the batteries too expensive.

Manned electric-powered aircraft have made record-breaking flights and turned more than a few heads in the past few years, and it's not a trend that's likely to slow down. Last week, the E-Fan electric trainer airplane developed by the Airbus Group made its first public flight before a collection…

The E-Fan reaches a speed of 110 km / h during takeoff and cruising speed stands at 160 km / h

In 2009, a team from the Turin Polytechnic University made a conversion of a Pioneer Alpi 300. It flew 250 km/h for 14 minutes.

The developers of the Mighty Cri-Cri Electric Mini Plane and pilot can add another “world’s fastest” to the list as they hit 283 kilometers per hour, running on only electricity and two 35-horsepower engines in 2011

Chip Yates has been a busy man. The perpetually restless electric vehicle pioneer has been setting world records throughout the fall. And behind the controls of his highly modified Rutan Long-EZ, Yates has claimed five records for electric aircraft, including beating his own top speed.

"At that throttle setting I did 352 km.h (220.9 mph) in one direction,” Yates says. An onboard GPS was recording the ground speed, and there were also timers on the ground. “In the other direction I did 212.9, averaged 216.9.”
      Last edited by Reno_Steve; 05-01-2014, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Imagine the sound of those mean, electric, super-mod, unlimited machines as they blast down the chute and onto the course.

LOL

I was at the U.S. Scale Nationals Qualifier in Hemet, CA a couple of weeks ago. One modeler had a large electric P-47. When he throttled-up, a speaker inside that ugly, oatmeal can fuselage, made the sound of a radial starting-up and running. It was cool as he taxied out.
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

...just no! Racing at Reno is about massive consumption of precious, irreplaceable fossil fuels, refined to the Nth degree and fortifications of rare earth elements mingled, producing that raucous cacophony and blistering hair-on-fire speeds that I know and love! It CAN NOT be replaced by...... a gentle woosh and muted crickets! (not to mention the yawns of dis-interest)....

eRacing belongs at the " Mother Earth tree hugging festival''!

...that being said, if some bravado imbued, zipper-suited sun god put one of the back-up RTG's from the Cassini probe in their
          eSonex, and flew....I might buy a ticket to see that!

*disclaimer* ...yes, as a matter of fact..I'm old and narrow minded..
          Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Spin, you missed one important point. As I always tell my fellow automobile drivers, please, please buy a Prius, it will save more recycled dinosaurs for my V10.

Same goes for aviation. The more battery powered toys, the more dino juice is saved for the Unlimiteds!
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

As someone that was recently involved in an e-plane project it's still many years off from racing them. Remember going fast is a curve. At a certain point the curve for how much hp you need to go faster gets rather steep. On the project I was on it took a 125 lb 60 hp motor 350 lbs of batteries, a 50 lb controller, another 50 lbs of fluids to cool the motor and controller. Now let's try to go 400 mph and....
              Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 05-01-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                As someone that was recently involved in an e-plane project it's still many years off from racing them. Remember going fast is a curve. At a certain point the curve for how much hp you need to go faster gets rather steep. On the project I was on it took a 125 lb 60 hp motor 350 lbs of batteries, a 50 lb controller, another 50 lbs of fluids to cool the motor and controller. Now let's try to go 400 mph and....
                imagine this wheeling around the pylons
                Attached Files
                www.davemorss.com

Comment

Hey Dave, good to see you still come round here! Personally, I'd watch turtles race and have a good time! Just hope we can keep the course to see what the future brings...

PS... looks like an airplane that would need an "observer" on the course...
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Is there any class at Reno which currently would allow electric aircraft ?

The reason I would like to see this introduced soon , is because it is interesting to watch the records tumble each year and with a novel class like this the performance curve is going to be very steep with it taking a few years to reach full potential.

With the ic classes we have almost reached the peak in performance (except with the sports class arguably) so it is rather disappointing thinking that it was better in the olden days.

It would also introduce a new set of fans to air racing with aircraft being entered by universities , IT and electronic companies and with it likely pushing aerodynamics due to less power (than ic at least initially) but also less drag being likely we will see a great variety of designs.

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post

The reason I would like to see this introduced soon , is because it is interesting to watch the records tumble each year and with a novel class like this the performance curve is going to be very steep with it taking a few years to reach full potential.

With the ic classes we have almost reached the peak in performance (except with the sports class arguably) so it is rather disappointing thinking that it was better in the olden days.

It would also introduce a new set of fans to air racing with aircraft being entered by universities , IT and electronic companies and with it likely pushing aerodynamics due to less power (than ic at least initially) but also less drag being likely we will see a great variety of designs.
                      I think there is still much to be done in every class and yes especially sport. Back when everyone thought the Pitts was the best biplane racer, now Aberle smashed that idea. Formula 1, look at september fate man oh man. T-6's, who knows what crazy thing someone will think of to make the ultimate trainer. Unlimiteds, ah yes the unlimiteds, even if nobody can push more power out of a 3350 or 4360, that just means closer/tighter Unlimited gold races for years to come!!!
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Reno_Steve View Post

I think the only class you could do anything like that would be IF1 with the current motors and batteries. The only rule you would not be in compliance with is that it would not have an O200. I could build a 125 hp E-Cassutt with off the shelf components, but it would only fly for 12 minutes.

Comment

I think an electric class is a great idea! I doubt they could finish a race. Maybe instead it would be more exhibition oriented and they would only fly a limited number of laps
                          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                            I think an electric class is a great idea! I doubt they could finish a race. Maybe instead it would be more exhibition oriented and they would only fly a limited number of laps
                            Fastest time trial wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                              Maybe Turbo Electric. Leave the batteries, install a Capstone turbine/generator and an electric motor. Run on kerosene. gives you control of the cg. Call it an O-220v.

Snidely

Comment

Working...
                              X