Bird strike (nemesis or otherwise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird strike (nemesis or otherwise)

So there's this silly aerobatic competition they had in sand diego this past weekend, anyway there was a birdstrike the pictures are impressive, but it reminded me of that bird Jon hit in nemesis, where it just buried itself in the wing, curious if anyone has pictures of that?

http://smoke-on.com/blog/uncategorized/hannes-arch-takes-third-after-bird-strike

Re: Bird strike (nemesis or otherwise)

Back in '82 "Shangri La" hit a buzzard during a race. Missed the prop and made quite a dent in the horiz. stab.
    Theres a picture in Teglers book of a T-6 with a buzzard jammed in the cowling.
    One of these days I'll find my shot of Lefty's wooden "bird strike". Clever bird was disguised as a fence post...
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

poor pelican...

...at least it was quick

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
        So there's this silly aerobatic competition they had in sand diego this past weekend
        I am going to laugh when all the Reno Air Racers have to convert to liking Red Bull.... Cause its the more economical form of racing.
        CFI/CFII/MEI
        www.FLYMARKPOLLARD.com
        www.InvertedCast.com - InvertedCast, The All Aviation Podcast!

Comment

Two of Hearts has had two bird strikes.

One in the right wing, we had to live with through the races, cost some speed. The second hit the cowl on the right lower side. It pushed the cowl back into the cylinder, broke the spark plug lead off and bent two push rods, also broke off half of the cowling mount on the cylinder.

It was messy cleaning it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
            I am going to laugh when all the Reno Air Racers have to convert to liking Red Bull.... Cause its the more economical form of racing.
            I dont follow, how is it racing and how is it economical?

Comment

the thing is it aint raceing....its wannabe raceing...its lame
              http://www.rarebear.com

chris

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
                Honestly that's a troll thing to say.
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

There's a couple clips on Air Sports TV that show Red Bull racers (Extra 300's and the like) pylon racing. Not their usual timed aerobatic routines, but around a pylon course.

Don't know if its disconcerting or encouraging.

Personally I think they should race anything they can think of- Extras, Nanchangs, Trojans whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell View Post
                    Honestly that's a troll thing to say.
                    Agreed... this thread is one of those threads that *could* turn ugly so let's all be on our toes..
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I liken Red Bull Air Racing to autocross and drift racing in the car world.

Comment

at least they have more than one race a year.racin or not.if we dont do something there may not even be the one we get anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
                          I liken Red Bull Air Racing to autocross and drift racing in the car world.
                          Or time trials.

Comment

I can't believe that everybody gets into this little Red Bull air racing battle. It's all aviation and they are both great for the aviation community. I haven't noticed Red Bull's air racing taking anything away from Reno's event. They are two different sports in my opinion. Nascar vs. off road rally racing (bad comparison but you get the point). I have never been to a Red Bull event but one day I would like to go. Now if I had to choose between the two.... then that is another story.
                            Last edited by DWYER; 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM.
                            My heart starts beating again in September.

Comment

They ARE totally different animals. Both are great to watch. Problem seems to be the symantics of the word "race".
                              One is a race against the clock, the other a race between two or more planes. Both are still racing.
                              I'm a little jealous of Red Bulls popularity but face it, they have multiple venues (not realistic with Reno style racing), worldwide, with lots of glitz, noise, flashy video and loud annoncers. It is fast paced and showy, perfect for a generation brought up on video games and MTV.
                              I don't think I personally would want to see too much of that in Reno style racing. A few years ago there was an ad campaign locally with the tag line (in my best wrassling annoncer voice) "come Sunday SOMETHING is going to hit the fan". That what we really want? But I bet numbers were up that year...
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X