Banged up warbirds at Galveston Airshow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banged up warbirds at Galveston Airshow

My fiance was flying out of Galveston today during the air show and a couple warbirds ran into each other on the runway. Injuries unknown. She said it didn't look too bad. Possibly a spitfire and a hurricane. I haven't seen any pictures so I hope I'm not way off on the models. It just happened around 245 central time

Re: Banged up warbirds at Galveston Airshow

aww man... I live about 60 miles from the LoneStar FLight Museum.. I wanted to go their Airshow this week, hope everyone is ok.
    W.Hughes

Comment

from the wix board, it appears it was bill greenwoods spit and the hurricane. no injuries tail damage to the hurricane and the spit ended up on its nose. bill posts on the wix board so i am sure he will fill in the details over there as soon as he is able.
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Yeah, the Hurricane's tail was crumpled (actually I couldn't see any of it - kinda looks like it was broke off, but could have been laid over) and I couldn't see the tailwheel - looks like the plane was sitting on the tail; the Spitfire's left main gear was collapsed with it resting on the nose, as said before. No matter how light the damage, it made me feel sick to see the two planes sitting on the runway banged up. I just hope there was no structural damage to either aircraft and hope the Spit doesn't have engine case damage. This really bummed me out the rest of the airshow.

I have video of the two planes landing, but panned away about a second before they collided. Got pictures of the aftermath, but won't post them or speculate until Bill G or other involved parties have their say.

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
          Yeah, the Hurricane's tail was crumpled (actually I couldn't see any of it - kinda looks like it was broke off, but could have been laid over) and I couldn't see the tailwheel - looks like the plane was sitting on the tail; the Spitfire's left main gear was collapsed with it resting on the nose, as said before. No matter how light the damage, it made me feel sick to see the two planes sitting on the runway banged up. I just hope there was no structural damage to either aircraft and hope the Spit doesn't have engine case damage. This really bummed me out the rest of the airshow.

I have video of the two planes landing, but panned away about a second before they collided. Got pictures of the aftermath, but won't post them or speculate until Bill G or other involved parties have their say.

Tommy
          I didn't mean to say the entire "tail". I meant to say the vertical stabilizer. I could only see a stump of what remained.
          Sorry about the confusion.
          T

Comment

It's sad to see those two airplanes get heavily damaged, but glad that no one got hurt.

Here are some pictures of the collision over on fencecheck:

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
              No matter how light the damage, it made me feel sick to see the two planes sitting on the runway banged up. I just hope there was no structural damage to either aircraft and hope the Spit doesn't have engine case damage.
              Tommy
              I agree, I cannnot see those beautiful warbirds in such condition.

Comment

Working...
              X