Tsunami construction photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsunami construction photos

During one of my trips to help the Tsunami build in Van Nuys I took some photos. You will probably recognize a couple of the faces.

Dan
    Attached Files

Re: Tsunami construction photos

Originally posted by pt17av8r View Post
    During one of my trips to help the Tsunami build in Van Nuys I took some photos. You will probably recognize a couple of the faces.

Dan
    Priceless stuff! The sheetmetal work on the cowl is sick!!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Dan
      Except those pictures were taken in Sun Valley California across the street from AC&T on Tuxford. Ray Poe and Bruce Boland. a lot of talent there.
      BCiv
      John Slack

Comment

awesome pics....

and Mr Slack, welcome back, i always enjoy reading your posts and learning about racing history from those who were neck deep in the trenches of it
        race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Actually, I am quite sure these photos were taken at the Van Nuys airport, just a few steps away from John O'Crawleys "Precision Air Radio". I would go out there as a kid and help buck rivets & general grunt stuff, and loved every second of it! I am not sure I ever went to the Sun Valley location. Of course....CRS is setting in....

Here are a couple more shots....

Dan
          Attached Files

Comment

Well I'll be..... I found some shots from the 1986 first flight at Chino. Steve Hinton at the stick.

Dan
            Attached Files

Comment

I heard the part count on tsunami was high but I could never have imagined.

Elliot
              Race 68

Comment

Actually, I am quite sure these photos were taken at the Van Nuys airport, just a few steps away from John O'Crawleys "Precision Air Radio". I would go out there as a kid and help buck rivets & general grunt stuff, and loved every second of it! I am not sure I ever went to the Sun Valley location. Of course....CRS is setting in....

Here are a couple more shots....

Dan
                Dan,
                Number four in that selection makes me sure it was on Tuxford street in Sun Valley, as my shop which was direct across from the Tsunami shop had the doors and walls. I also spent almost daily lunch trips across the parking lot visiting Ray.
                John Slack

Comment

John, my memory is starting to come back to me, and you are correct. The shots where the airplane is in a less complete stage were taken in VNY, but then the plane was moved to Sun Valley for further completion. The hangar at VNY was just too small to continue assembling. I remember being very dissapointed when they moved since I couldn't get to SV very often, and really loved hanging around the project. Any of my shots with the roll-up doors are SV.

Dan

Comment

Dan - Thanks so much for sharing these.
                    _________
                    -Matt
                    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

pt17 i am a huge fan of tsunami and would love to see any other pictures that you might have of the construction because i am building a model of the plane in 1/48 and have also been documenting the racer for a long time any help you might have would be appreciated

Comment

Bearclaw -- Have you ever come across figures for the empty weight of the various versions of Tsunami during her career? It changed quite a bit over time, and I've always wondered about the effect of the ongoing mods on the weight of the airplane.

Neal

Comment

I dug up a few more photos. I hope they help.

Dan
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by pt17av8r; 01-17-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hi Dan - Just SUPER historical Tsunami genesis stuff!!! Thank you so v. much for sharing these & other shots from your archives. We are all fortunate you took the time to take these important photographs!

DBD

Comment

What you have here is PURE GOLD! I sure hope JRS' daughter Sharon has been able to see these images.
                              _________
                              -Matt
                              Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
                              X