Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

My favorite piston fighter! Steve Hinton talks about the Bearcat at POF. Sounds like they are getting close! Interesting side comments about the limits of the Bearcat airfoil.

https://youtu.be/sRdgJazwLSY
    Random Air Blog

Re: Yes! The Chino Bearcat!

Really interesting story about the stick pressures involved when near critical mach.
    Wonder what the paint job will be?

Comment

Was this Bearcat the former "Gulfhawk"?

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
        Really interesting story about the stick pressures involved when near critical mach.
        Wonder what the paint job will be?
        It'll be painted like their first Bearcat. Some footage of it in this video around 2 mins, "V" on the tail like it already has painted now

Shows the Planes of Fame Museum in Claremont California in the 1960s. Also contains footage of a P-51 wheels up landing.From the archives of the San Diego A...
        Last edited by GRNDP51; 04-16-2020, 08:37 AM.
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
          Was this Bearcat the former "Gulfhawk"?
          It was previously painted as the Gulfhawk, but it is not the G-58.
          The real G-58 is at Palm Springs disguised as another blue Bearcat.
          remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
            It was previously painted as the Gulfhawk, but it is not the G-58.
            The real G-58 is at Palm Springs disguised as another blue Bearcat.
            It is registered as a G-58A with the FAA N3025. Personally, I am glad they went with the standard blue. It is going to look great when it is done!
            Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
              It is registered as a G-58A with the FAA N3025. Personally, I am glad they went with the standard blue. It is going to look great when it is done!
              When Ward owned it, it was registered as a G-58 and took it's N Number and paint scheme, so assuming the Hinton's are keeping it that way. That real G-58A was destroyed in 1949. As Lon said the only other G-58 is PSAM's. I also agree I'm happy with the paint, BUT think PSAM's should be orange...
              Last edited by GRNDP51; 04-16-2020, 03:20 PM.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Man it was really torn up.

http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...art=60#p600573
                Random Air Blog

Comment

The real G-58 is not a Bearcat.
                  remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

No worse than what Rare Bear was, if I recall correctly. Amazing what people can do these days with a pile of twisted aluminum.

Comment

I'm kind of happy that it is getting back in the air. Would have loved to see it back in the Gulfhawk colors but am quite ok to see the long canopy gone. Elmer being a friend I know why he chose that set- up but I am truly glad to see it gone. If a TF detracs from the lines of a 51, that set- up really destroyed the looks of a Bearcat. At least you will have an F8F running in the limited category. Who knows, maybe the next owner might opt for orange and white...

T J

Comment

Originally posted by T J Johansen View Post
                        I'm kind of happy that it is getting back in the air. Would have loved to see it back in the Gulfhawk colors but am quite ok to see the long canopy gone. Elmer being a friend I know why he chose that set- up but I am truly glad to see it gone. If a TF detracs from the lines of a 51, that set- up really destroyed the looks of a Bearcat. At least you will have an F8F running in the limited category. Who knows, maybe the next owner might opt for orange and white...

T J
                        I can agree with the canopy being too long.
                        Back in the early 1980's John Herlihy put a back seat in his Bearcat N198F and still used the stock canopy.

(photos by C.Aro)
                        Attached Files
                        remember the Oogahonk!

Comment

Did they ever determine the cause of the Gulfhawk Bearcat engine failure at Oshkosh?

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                            Did they ever determine the cause of the Gulfhawk Bearcat engine failure at Oshkosh?
                            Sounds like the mixture was in the wrong position: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20001211X13083
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

Sounds like the mixture was in the wrong position: https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...20001211X13083
                              I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME WITH ELMER AND HELPED WITH PARTS OVER THE 11 YEAR RESTORATION. BEFORE THE ALZHEIMERS STARTED TO TAKE IT'S TOLL, WE WERE EATING PIE ALAMODE AT HIS HOUSE ONE NIGHT; HE STOPPED EATING, LOOKED STRAIGHT AT ME, AND SAID "I'M PRETTY SURE I PULLED THE MIXTURE BACK INSTEAD OF THE PROP",
                              AND WENT ON THE EXPLAIN HE WAS MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE MUSTANG THAN THE BEARCAT AND GOT THE TWO CONTROLS MIXED UP. I SAW THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE CERAMICS WERE PURE, PURE WHITE, SO IT MADE SENSE.
                              AFTER THE CRASH, I GAVE HIM SOME MORE PARTS TO REPAIR THE GULFHAWK. HE AND LOIS WERE VERY KIND TO ME
                              AND I MISS THEM BOTH......
                              DUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X